back to article Visual Studio Code 1.35: Remote Development, TypeScript and (sigh) another new icon

Microsoft has continued its rapid-fire releases by booting out another Visual Studio Code update with extra Remote Development goodness. Visual Studio Code is very much the flavour of the month with developers, and continues to top the polls of tools preferred by source botherers. Some, of course, prefer to stick with the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some, of course, prefer to stick with the likes of Vim,

those who prize the ability to edit, anyway.

Hey I'm very interested in all the add-ons that should make development easier, and have tried it out. Ouch! It is not just the butterflies when changing environments but rather the large gaps and missing features in *editing* that bring up the gorge.

It's an IDE! A debugging environment! If your development style is to change a character and then click run, woo! But if you type code more than a half line at a time, you might care about *editing*. Which are you doing more - typing or clicking?

I guess it bothers me that they obviously really care about giving us tools for development, without caring nearly as much about editing. This is a repeat of Adobe's 'Brackets', where when asked about bracket/brace/paren bouncing, they said "huh?". Without having used a good editor, you can't develop a good editor...

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Some, of course, prefer to stick with the likes of Vim,

VSCodeVim.

Oh, and your data trail will thank you for using VSCodium.

2. Geoffrey W

I'm curious...what is "bracket/brace/paren bouncing"?

I never heard the term or phrase and web search hasn't helped much...so I guess I'll say "huh?" too.

1. GrumpenKraut

> I'm curious...what is "bracket/brace/paren bouncing"?

If the cursor is for example on a '{' you can jump to the matching '}' (and back). This is quite useful, especially when the other brace is beyond the shown screen.

1. rob miller

bracket bouncing

One of many software development insights the Python world has missed out on.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Graham Newton

I was wondering what bouncing brackets are. Anyway you can go to the matching bracket using Ctrl-Shift \. The issue here seems to be the invention of a new term to describe something that already has a meaningful description.

1. GidaBrasti
            Coffee/keyboard

vim uses a single star(*) for that.

In VSCode it seems you need to develop octopus qualities to do the same. Really good for editing.

1. Geoffrey W

A single asterisk? What happens if you want to type an asterisk eg 5 * 2

1. RangerFish

You have to switch to insert mode. In normal mode, most keys do things like move the cursor or change your selection.

This is the reason I don't use VsVim or VS Code's Vim keymap extension. It's not better for me than the chord keypresses you get by default in VS and VS Code. If people subjectively prefer it, then all power to them, but some people try to claim that anyone not using Vim are wrong.

In other words it's about as stupid as the dark/light theme debate

4. RangerFish

It's also something that is available in VS Code.

3. Willy Wonka

Dear Hammer Manufacturer: your latest hammer will not work as a screwdriver, which is a terrible insult to the millions who screw.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like