back to article Alexa Conversations: Amazon's AI assistant is about to get a whole lot more like Clippy

At Amazon's AI event in Las Vegas this week, the company introduced Alexa Conversations, a new way to code skills that support more natural conversation and participate in multi-topic interactions. Alexa Skills are third-party extensions to Amazon's chat bot. Developers register their own wake word or custom phrase – so, for …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the spirit of amazon's usual success rate at suggesting things:-

"Hey, it looks like you're making some toast. Would you like a waffle?"

1. Suburban Inmate
    2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    3. Teiwaz

Looks like you're making some toast...

Only a waffle?

My experiences with Amazon advertising I'd fully expect ads for toasters upon recognising toast making in progress.

Computers have long gotten past the business of cutting out some of the drudgery of human existence and moved onto filling up that empty space with mundanity.

1. fajensen
        Angel

Re: Looks like you're making some toast...

Sure - The "95 out of 100 people who were served this add bought 'Product X'"-metric for proven online add-efficiency is a lot easier to make when causality can be reversed!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazon's AI assistant is about to get a whole lot more like Clippy

those who choseth AI ass fully deserveth their fate

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll be more impressed when I ask Alexa to play Morrissey and it offers me a bath bomb and a toaster.

1. macjules

I'd be even more impressed if it can understand a Scottish accent ..

1. cookieMonster Silver badge

Freedom!!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The toaster to kill you in the bath with and the bath bomb to hide the smell from the neighbours?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More like a whole lot more creepy...

"It looks like you are about to try anal sex. Would you like some suggestions for KY?"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More like a whole lot more creepy...

"Your order for two Zinger Towers and a litre of Poopsy Cola will be delivered between 7 and 8 PM."

(with KY = Kentucky for those less twisted than me and less US-centric than the 'bot)

5. Just Enough
    Thumb Down

Ghastly

Sounds absolutely ghastly. Ask Alexa one thing and it immediately tags on follow-up questions to organise the rest of you day, based on what it thinks you should be doing/buying ???

Alexa shuddup until you're spoken to.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Ghastly

Alexa. All I want is a nice cup of tea. Just dried leaves, in boiling water.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

With the juice squirted out of a cow?

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Thumb Up

My Alexa tells me every weekday morning that's shes turned on the kettle for my tea.

2. Waseem Alkurdi

@I ain't Spartacus

It looks like youre writing a letter. Would you like help?

(()) Get help with writing the letter

( ) Just type the letter without help

[ ] Don't show me this tip again

1. ArrZarr Silver badge
          Mushroom

I know that the intent behind these tips is often envisioned by a genuine desire to help (as long as they aren't trying to sell you something), but I've never had a suggestion like this where I didn't want to add an option 4:

Shut up and go away you piece of shit. I have a computer so that it does what I tell it to do, when I tell it to do it. If I wanted your opinion on the matter, I'd program it into you with a god damn sledgehammer. Never offer my any advice ever again because I already have a mother who tries teaching me to suck eggs whenever I meet her.

*ahem*

1. zapgadget
            Black Helicopters

The good news is Alexa can be told to "shut the f^$% up" and it understands. Needs some AI to work out what it shouldn't be doing to get that response though.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Lt.Kije

Agent

"... Put me through to a fluent English speaking and competent customer service agent now"

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Agent

Oh, come ooooooon! We've not got proper artificial intelligence yet. Artificial Genius is much much further away!

8. Wellyboot Silver badge

This

https://xkcd.com/1807/

new sport - nuff said..

9. AMBxx Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Plays music

From what I've seen, this stuff is just being used to request music. Easy to interpret and not important if it goes wrong. OK for sending messages, perhaps.

As for trusting it to book tickets and taxis? Could soon get very expensive when it's done wrong.

1. Christoph

Re: Plays music

There's already occasional news stories of people flying to an entirely wrong destination due to a slight mishearing of a similar sounding name. Hey, let's automate that based on what an AI thinks you said - what could possibly go wrong?

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Megaphone

Re: Plays music

AMBxx,

Not important if it goes wrong? Not important! What if it plays Rick Astley? Or the Cheeky Girls!

10. DJV Silver badge

"without needing to remember their username and password"

No, no and more NO!

11. LordHighFixer

Could be handy

ME: Alexa, purchase a roll of heavy duty plastic, a shovel, and some quicklime.

ALEXA: I have ordered an Uber for arrival one hour after the items arrive. I have also located 3 popular dumping sites, would you like me to select one?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Could be handy

"ALEXA: I have ordered an Uber for arrival one hour after the items arrive. I have also located 3 popular dumping sites, would you like me to select one?"

"popular" dumping sites? Might as well just call the cops. Surely a properly clever Alexa would find you the least popular dumping sites.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Could be handy

you jest (do you), but some "monitoring" system has just flagged your post for deeper probing. Add to your jest a politician's name and you're, most probably, toa

12. vir

Custom Wake Word + Amazon Pay...

Are you guys thinking what I'm thinking?

13. intrigid

Once again, AI reinforces its stereotype as the delusional wet dream of marketers, who continue to tell themselves that end users will abandon all human instinct and start opting in to voice-activated advertisements. Even Indian tech support workers continue to be on the order of 1 million times more intelligent than our most advanced AI. When will journalists drop the notion that this underdeveloped technology is of any meaningful value to any but the tiniest minority of end users?

1. Captain Scarlet
      Megaphone

Just correct everyone and say Algorithm not AI

14. Palpy

I think of all the crap which goes sideways --

-- in relatively simple phone tree applications. I can't imagine wanting a stand-alone "AI" phone tree in my home. If I want to raise my blood pressure then I'll read the news, for God's sake.

Interesting: did you know that a very deep gold mine in Colombia penetrated Hell, and the overwhelming noise the miners heard was the sound of screaming from the guy that invented call waiting? Makes the rest of us smile.

I imagine there's a place in Hell waiting for voice-assistant AI-fiddlers, too.

15. HmYiss

Deep in the heart of Vegas...

..the greatest minds in AI tech gather to breathe life into Alexa and get her to pose the ultimate question:

Do you want fries with that?

16. Tikimon
    Facepalm

Ah, there's the end-goal...

"Therefore, it is winner takes all for whatever Alexa comes up with when you order something generic like travel, everyday home items or local services like a plumber or electrician. You will not see the equivalent of the 10 blue links offered by search engines, which at least give some semblance of choice."

How did I not see this before? This beats browser dominance by lightyears. Soon enough companies will pay the assistant's masters (not you) to give THEIR product/service top listing for a given search. Which will of course give the Alexa/Cortana/BigBrotherBot drivers immense power to decide what products succeed or fail. Think the top ten browser results are influential? Try being the first suggestion Alexa makes.

Instead of finding you the best match for your needs, Alexa and friends will show you the product that paid the most to be seen. Far from bringing us the world, these abominations will limit choice and steer us where their masters want us to go. Fick das.

17. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

Maybe I'm a bit of a control freak, buti I'd rather have less clippy

And more "Gimpy." ^

18. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Anything more sophisticated is hard to code and arduous for the user, which is why those customer service bots that attempt to triage your support call are so frustrating"

And there I was thinking they were deliberately coded like that so it was only possible to deal with the few things the "service" provider was prepared to do anything about and/or avoid challenging their marketroids rose-tinted perception of how well we all thought of their attempts.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like