back to article Amazon Alexa: 'Pre-wakeword' patent application suggests plans to process more of your speech

Amazon has submitted a patent application which suggests the firm plans to capture your speech and send it to the cloud for processing before as well as after hearing a "wakeword" trigger. The usual deal with these devices is that they sit quiescent until trigged by the wakeword, in this case typically "Alexa", and then parse …

1. Reg Reader 1

Wow! If you don't have a pressing need, such as a physical disability, for such a device why would you have one?

1. Anonymous Cow Herder

Wow! If you don't have a pressing need, such as a physical disability, for such a device why would you have one, Alexa?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

because you have no choice? Because, when you want to have a GP appointment, you have a choice between

a) an "AI-GP" appointment ("take paracetamol, drink plenty of fluids, try stress-relief techniques, would you like directions to your nearest pharmacy / tap / special-discount medication clinic?")

b) no appointment

All in the name of "cost optimization" (and fully in line with the latest talk of NHS being part of the greatest fucking DEAL between the two most world's biggest empires: US and UK.

2. phuzz Silver badge

Of the people I know who use one of these (or one of the similar rivals), most people stopped using it almost completely after a few days, and the only uses they get are:

The kids use it to play music etc. (until Frozen gets played for the umpteenth time as mum and dad are trying to sleep so it gets unplugged)

Using it to set reminders when your hands are full (handy when cooking)

Using it to do searches that for whatever reason they don't know how to do via a non-listening device (eg play a radio station. Easy enough to do on a phone or computer, but this friend prefers to just shout at their device, I dunno why).

That's pretty much it, although I can imagine if you had some kind of disability or impairment, one of these could be an absolute godsend, like having your own private servant.

1. jmch Silver badge

"the only uses they get are...."

Here's the thing: all the use cases you mention, and many more besides, do not need massive cloud-based processing to recognise the voice input, nor to act on it.

IIRC there were phones that could recognise basic voice commands around 10-15 years ago. In any case you're using a fairly small set of basic commands / keywords: 'Note', 'Search', 'Play', 'Appointment', 'Weather' between them cover probably 95% of use cases. There is no user-functionality need for any of this crap to be cloud-connected. It's the providers that NEED the devices to be cloud-connected so they can gather more data / prompt you into buying more unneeded crap.

Incidentally, I have no idea how much this kit costs, but I would hazard to guess that 'Alexa' (& co) are subsidised by Amazon (& co) to increase their reach and to undercut teh possibility of a self-contained voice recognition / processing / action unit (which would probably cost more anyway since it would need more processing power)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

no reason to be cloud connected? And how does it 'Search' or 'Weather' without connectivity?

1. Is It Me
            Meh

He said massive cloud processing, in other words no need to send the voice files to the cloud to do the voice recognition and understanding.

2. adam 40 Silver badge

It obviously uses the new camera to look out the window for you, and tell you if it's raining, or not...

3. LucreLout

Wow! If you don't have a pressing need, such as a physical disability, for such a device why would you have one?

Convenience. I don't have one, but would like to get one with the proviso that someone can adequately demonstrate to me that anything I say preceding the magic word "Alexa" does not leave my house. Nobody has yet shown that as far as I am aware.

I'd quite like to be able to ask Alexa if my train is on time, if I need a rain jacket etc I don't have time to browse for these things even though it'd only take a couple of minutes, but I could talk to Alexa while getting the kids ready or tying my shoes.

Alexa would be convenient, possibly fun, vaguely useful, but wholly unnecessary, so without some privacy safeguards (including protecting my kindle bookshelf or movie library from casual enquirers) it's not going anywhere for me I'm afraid.

2. Semtex451

Well while we wait for the Borg implant tech, it's important that we plan now and get the patents in, for the coming totalitarian state. The little brother one where everyone can get live AV feeds from everyone else's bedroom-cam, anus-cam, nose-cam, knicker-cam etc

/s

1. Flywheel
      Facepalm

/s

I fixed that for you ...

3. TRT Silver badge

My colleague...

now regrets calling her daughter Alexa.

1. DCdave

Re: My colleague...

Clearly the child needs some combination of Alexa Siri Cortana Lastname to ensure maximum compatibility with the Borg.

1. big_D Silver badge

She is called Alexa DROP TABLES; Smith.

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

She is called Alexa DROP TABLES; Smith

Relevant XKCD

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And eventually the poor girl will grow up and then start having an active sex life:

“Oh, yeah, oh yeah, Alexa, yeahhh…”

«beep?»

1. TRT Silver badge

I still want to release a song called "Hey, Siri!" where the chorus goes "Hey, Siri! Play the song called 'Hey, Siri!'"

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Hopefully

that will only break apple.com and not the entire internet.

4. Wellyboot Silver badge

>>>We can predict if residents are happy based on their digital interactions with the service, which gives us more information about whether they will renew their leases,<<<

And the unspoken bit "So we can adjust the renewal price to suit"

1. iron Silver badge

Renew the lease? I'd cancel it immediately on the basis the landlord was spying on me and threaten to sue.

Also must remember Marriott are now on my "no go" list.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I see my travel basic equipment now needs to include a 5Kg hammer to ensure any listening/spying devices is reduced into pieces...

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

needs to include a 5Kg hammer to ensure any listening/spying devices is reduced

Or, alternatively, a long, thin insulated screwdriver. That way, the unit looks intact but is still borked.

1. adam 40 Silver badge

A gas piezo lighter is better - 5kV into all the ports will sort any consumer electronics out, and no trace of physical damage.

2. Palpy

How to best disable hotel-room Echo --

-- non-destructively? (If you break it, you pay for it along with your hotel bill.)

Will a quick aluminum-foil wrapping shield and disable the wifi? Maybe two or three layers of foil? Would a pair of fluffy hotel pillows taped around the unit, or over a wall-mount, be enough to keep it from listening? Or does its mic have enough auto-gain to overcome that?

5. Starace
    Alert

Already does this

To be honest I suspect they already implemented this long ago.

How else to explain the bloody thing piping up randomly - especially during phone conversations - answering random things it wasn't asked?

It sure doesn't need 'Alexa' in a conversation to start listening.

1. big_D Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Re: Already does this

The same with Google Assistant, it would pick up my boss in the next room saying, "ok, ok, I'll look into that," as me wanting to activate the assistant.

After having used GA once in 6 months, I went through the GA log on the website and deleted the 100+ recordings it had made during that time! Most of which consisted of just wind as I was out walking the dog...

I have since turned off GA completely.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You can tell, depending on how broad a range of roughly matching sounds it would interpret as a wake command, how “ok… look into…”, or something similar, could fairly easily be interpreted (“misheard”) as “OK, Google”.

To avoid the problem of users having to enunciate very very carefully, I would imagine that the range of sounds that the spywall would accept as roughly matching the wake word has been set quite generously.

(And no, of course I don’t have one. Despite Apple having at least put some thought into Siri regarding on-device processing, I still refuse to use it as it would slurp my contact list into the “cloud”, and all without my friends’ consent, which I deem unacceptable.)

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"To avoid the problem of users having to enunciate very very carefully, I would imagine that the range of sounds that the spywall would accept as roughly matching the wake word has been set quite generously."

My SatNav does that. I can type in any word I like to be used as the wake word, and all the voice recognition is handled internally to the device (no outside connection, unless I pair it via Bluetooth to my phone, which I never do because then the satnav acts as the mic/speakers for the phone too, instead of the car audio system). I use a single word for convenience, but I listen to a lot of speech radio or audio books in the car so it does sometimes trigger the SatNav with words or phrases which sound a bit like my wake word.

The worst than can happen is a new route is set. It can't order and pay for 25 bags of baby nappies :-)

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: The worst than can happen is a new route is set.

That can be a problem if it takes you round in circles (which would be the case if the wake word were "Brexit").

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
        Coat

Most of which consisted of just wind as I was out walking the dog...

It didn't offer advice on dietary supplements?

6. Wade Burchette

And people wonder why I make them turn off their Alexa or Google Home in my presence.

1. DropBear

What I want to to know is how do you convince them to do that...

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

My mother gave up on her system since it didn't work very reliably. (never noticing that it often failed after one of my visits).

7. Chozo
    Pirate

You have the right to remain silent...

<alexa> volume set to 0%, transferring all funds to offshore account, deleting records

Pre-programmed actions and a trigger phrase would be more useful

1. Christopher Reeve's Horse
      Alert

Re: You have the right to remain silent...

"Alexa, execute order 66"

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Unfortunately

this doesn't actually work.

8. Cuddles

How is this patentable?

I'll ignore the privacy concerns and just address the title question - how can this possibly be patented? Storing a rolling buffer and then processing data collected before a trigger event has been absolutely standard for decades. Everything else appears to just be "Use said buffer for the things already being done". There's nothing here that comes even close to being new or innovative. I know patent systems are generally a mess these days, but at least there's usually at least some attempt to frame things as "Standard thing, but on the internet" or similar. In this case they seem to just be saying "We're going to do a standard thing. No, really, that's it" and hoping no-one notices.

1. Blank Reg

Re: How is this patentable?

Not having used any such devices this is how I had assumed they worked all along. ""what time is it Alexa" would be a natural way to interact with the device and only requires keeping the last several seconds of data at all times.

2. DCFusor

Came here to say the same. All my digital scopes for one obvious thing.

But going back to the '70s at least - logic analyzers did this.

The nonlinear audio editing software I wrote in the '80s did it to be able to correct for various lags and allow time-alignment during punch-in recording.

Duh. Old as the hills, or at least - the ability to record stuff.

1. Joe W Silver badge

Yeah, but now you get a new patent for "old-as-parent-of-the-hills-technique using the Internet / IoT / AI" ...

3. really_adf

I really hope the buffering isn't patentable. The technique for identifying the start of the sentence containing the wakeword could be novel.

4. MachDiamond Silver badge

spit-balling. See if the patent office signs off. Anybody wanting to challenge the patent will need to have a couple of hundred thousand as a starter to bring a suit. Another trick is to have a very narrow claim but advertise widely in a way that makes it sound like you have a very broad patent.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pretty much inescapable with modern devices.

People have a fit when this kind of thing is mentioned but it's pretty near unavoidable these days unless you go truly off grid with no modern devices (except for those you've run through a rigorous security audit).

So you don't have an Echo?, congrats..but what about your phone, friends, families and workmates phones and other devices?, what about features built into smart devices like TV's where you may or may not be aware of built in microphones or camera's?, how about microphones and cameras when you are out and about?

So your device manufacturer swears they don't do this unless you enable the option, but which 1000 page EULA will reverse that, which you will obligingly agree to because your concentration starts to wander after the third page?

Once you start down this path it never ends.

It may well be this patent will make interactions with Alexa more user friendly (remembering Alexa is not just on the Echo but also on phones and tablets as well as the speaker), in the meantime I'll discuss my plans for World domination in a field with no electronic devices whatsoever after ensuring my minions do the same (on pain of a dip in the Piranha or shark tank......probably piranah's due to the well known endangered species listing for sharks issue )

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
      Terminator

FTFY

… because your concentration starts to wander after the third page^W word?

10. NorthernCoder
    Coat

Pre-wake words

Does that mean we'll have stern words with Alexa?

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Pre-wake words

I bow to your prow-ess with nautical puns.

(I am now struggling, and failing, to work the word "transom" into my response.)

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Pre-wake words

and failing, to work the word "transom" into my response

Just plimsole it in..

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

welcome to the future of voice assistants

as long as they do not become compulsory. That said, it's the usual mission creep. Internet might not be compulsory (yet) but you practically can't live without it. Same with cash (look at Scandinavia, where they're actively trying to eradicate cash). Likewise cameras and face-recognition. You don't have to travel through the area under cameras, but there's hardly any city-area not covered by them.

If I were paranoid, I'd say it's all a part of a grand scheme to introduce TOTAL CONTROL, but I do realize it's just human greed and desire to control spilling to all areas of life. Not that the nature of the reasons make any difference to the end result...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: welcome to the future of voice assistants

look at Scandinavia, where they're actively trying to eradicate cash

As I discovered in Stockholm recently. Ordered an espresso, price around 25 SEK. Cafe refused to take cash, card only, so I had to use my Euro-denominated debit card and will be billed ~2.5 EUR + 10% commission + 1.5EUR foreign transaction fee. Practically doubled the cost of my drink :-(

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Inside the Euro area, paying in euro from an account in euro there could be no commission at all - depending on you bank and card type. My bank/card does not apply commissions for payments in euro inside the euro area.

It's one of the advantages of the euro.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Inside the Euro area, paying in euro from an account in euro there could be no commission at all

But most of the world, and most of Scandinavia, is not in the Euro area. If I'd had a Danish or Norwegian card (or a Finnish Euro one, for that matter) it would have had the same problem.

It's one of the advantages of the euro

Of course, it's an advantage of any common-currency area. Not everyone wants to surrender control of their economy in the name of convenience, though.

1. Joe W Silver badge

Actually not with a Scandinavian card (well, a number of them anyways). They are usually free to use in Nordic countries - even cell phone roaming was free before mandated by the EU.

2. Down not across

Ordered an espresso, price around 25 SEK. Cafe refused to take cash, card only, so I had to use my Euro-denominated debit card and will be billed ~2.5 EUR + 10% commission + 1.5EUR foreign transaction fee.

Hopefully they were clear about not accepting cash before ordering. I'd find it very tempting to just walk out unless I was desperate for that coffee.

2. Semtex451

Thing is folk increasingly seem to want tech to pre-empt their needs and that needs data, so while we wait for the Borg implants they're seemingly happy that many companys 'know them' inside and out.

Sorry for repeating myself.

Just being online, well I'm sure someone told me that internet access was a 'human right' or was about to be. On that basis it should probably be inferred that privacy won't be for long, if it ever was.

Unless permanent VPN & Tor is also going to be a human right.

1. jmch Silver badge

" folk increasingly seem to want tech to pre-empt their needs"

erm... no? There is literally no-one I know who thinks this. Au contraire, this is prime marketing bullshit used to force unpalatable solutions down users' throats

1. Fred Dibnah
          Meh

That'll be Amazon Prime marketing bullshit.

2. ForthIsNotDead

@jmch: EXACTLY

2. ForthIsNotDead
        Stop

"folk increasingly seem to want tech to pre-empt their needs and that needs data".

No. That's what the technologists, the Amazon, Facebook's and Google's of this world *tell* us we want, but personally, I don't give a fucking shit if my fridge doesn't order my milk for me.

Do you?

1. Chozo
          Joke

Frosty Freddy the fridge full of fun & frivolity stared at the battered remains of a Talkie Toaster on the table... whirred & blinked... So your a Soy kinda guy! why didn't you say?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big Bezos is watching you.

Always.

13. Martin Summers Silver badge

Star Trek

If it is OK for Federation employees to say 'Computer' to activate their system before giving a command then its OK for us back here in the past too.

1. Christopher Reeve's Horse

Re: Star Trek

Just remember to hold the mouse up like a walkie-talkie, and it will work just fine.

14. Charlie van Becelaere
    Childcatcher

Another relevant XKCD

https://xkcd.com/1807/

Tasty!

15. ForthIsNotDead

Not patentable

It's surely obvious?

16. Arthur the cat Silver badge

I misread the title

and thought Alexa was going to respond to what people said while sleeping. That could be quite entertaining.

17. Naselus

""Of course Alexa has to listen all the time for the wake word"

"...but other speech is normally ignored."

Sure it is. Sure.

18. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Clickbait

I thought this was an article about Alexa working out what grunts a person utters immediately prior to waking up.

Surely there's a market for a 21st century TeasMaid and a device that blows your socks up to make it easier for your feet to be inserted into it/them? IoT would then become more relevant as the Insertion of Toes.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Cheeky!

I have a pre-safeword agreed with the au-pair

20. StuntMisanthrope

Welcome back.

Much like every other lifestyle choice, it'll be an option, would you like AI available? Also think on this, the millenial generation have a much different view on socialised behaviour, what's acceptable, how people interact and speed of gratification. #ginandtonicalexa

21. dvvdvv

Meanwhile in Deutschland

"Alexa, hier spricht der BND, bitte schicke mir alle Gespräche über das geplante Bombenattentat" - so einfach wird der Zugriff auf private Daten des Sprachassistenten aus dem Hause Amazon zwar nicht. Der geplante Beschluss der Innenminister klingt aber auch so ziemlich bedrohlich.

https://web.de/magazine/politik/zugriff-alexa-smart-home-geraete-innenminister-planen-gesetzesaenderung-33775004

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meanwhile in Deutschland

I just ran that article in Google Translate and if the translation was good, and it appeared to be, I find that quite frightening. Of course, personal privacy on the Internet has always been an if you know how to implement it thing and it was more to protect us from unscrupulous crims, but this appears to be making privacy illegal at a governmental level. I think the problem is that .gov believes they have the right to know anything about us whenever they want. In the past that required some effort, like a search warrant and some specialized surveillance equipment. Now the specialized surveillance equipment is built right into the "Internet" and this makes surveillance ubiquitous and that cannot end well for us, the populace.

22. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Just set our future AI surveillance overlords against eachother....

"Hey Siri, can you get me the best price on an Alexa unit? I want to replace you with one of those."

AAAIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! Bzzzt! BZZZTTTT!!!! KABOOOOOOOM!!!!

23. MachDiamond Silver badge

The two party rule

If any service is recording conversations in a place where both parties in the conversation must be aware that recording is taking place, there could be legal implications.

It has to be expected that these companies are going to implement voice recognition so the system knows who's talking and will be making use of the data they collect not only about the conversation but that particular people know each other and in what context, professional or personal. They system could also figure out if people are getting busy with their not spouse(s). Maybe even their neighbor's underage child or their doctor, analyst, etc. Will the system then file a report with law enforcement? Will local CCTV cameras be noted as a check on who's where?

I like spy novels and accounts from real spies that are now retired. It's scary to see how little bits of data can be used to build a pretty good picture and a few cases where they got it all wrong even though it looked good. Factor in self-installed audio and video surveillance along with some good programming and you will see how they'll have you bang to rights and you have to hope it's The Man® and not a blackmailer or somebody selling your little secret to your boss about you and his wife.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like