back to article Firmware update borks Bose boxes: Owners report crackles on Lex-i of the soundbar world

Owners of Bose kit are filling support forums with moans that a recent firmware update has introduced a deeply irritating crackling noise to "the world's best performing soundbar". The issue has been blamed on firmware update 4.0.8 and so far the company seems unable to offer a way to roll back the update or a date for an …

1. Mr Benny

Soundbars , meh

Overpriced , underperforming tinny speakers for people who know the square root of bugger all about hifi - a triumph of marketing over substance. A cheap (150 quid ish) amp and proper speakers sound far better than almost any soundbar on the market (and even manage to do a new fangled concept called stereo properly!), never mind the more upmarket stuff. A dumb amp shouldn't even need "firmware" other than for bluetooth and USB and that should never need upgrading.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: Soundbars , meh

I tend to agree as far as music is concerned. But if you want sound for TV without filling your room with speakers, it's hard to beat a decent soundbar. Some can even direct sound to one side of the sofa so that a couple with different hearing abilities can hear the soundtrack at two different volumes (but still in stereo).

1. Mage Silver badge
        Coffee/keyboard

Re: it's hard to beat a decent soundbar.

Almost ANY 1970s HiFi plugged into earphone socket or using a China $20 5.1 optical decoder is better. I don't believe good sound bars exist.

Also why do so few TVs have real external speaker sockets (electromechanical)? They make the TVs so stupidly thin that the internal ones are like laptop speakers.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: it's hard to beat a decent soundbar.

I agree with this but, at the risk of another slew of downvotes, there's no getting away from the fact that there are decent soundbars. Whether they are value for money (the Yamaha YSP-2700 costs £600 and that buys you a lot of conventional stereo) is another matter: but if you want an approximation of 5.1 without speakers everywhere (not my preference, by the way, I'm a 7.2 fan!), this is, IMHO, the way to go.

The particular use-case I have seen, with a couple with markedly different hearing abilities, works well: with a loud seat and a quieter seat on the same sofa. Also it's worth pointing out that a lot of 5.1 -> 2.0 (stereo) converters aren't strong enough in the centre, with the result that dialog (especially for the hard of hearing) becomes harder to make out.

2. katrinab Silver badge
      Facepalm

Their name is Buy Other Sound Equipment, so what do you expect?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One little point.

There are one or two nice "Soundbars". They are usually massive, and expensive.

Most of the others are the same as a TV incorporated speakers, with a wooden box to the side pretending to be a sub.

Pity I don't have the space or the budget for a nice soundbar, but am using a cheapo one currently just for a PC speaker solution.

4. AMBxx Silver badge
      Joke

None of you know what your talking about.Once used with oxygen free copper cables and pure gold interconnects, you'll never look back.

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Coat

I'm pretty sure those types also Buy Other Sound Equipment. An £800 price point would be way too cheap for them.

2. Mage Silver badge
        Boffin

Re: and pure gold interconnects

Especially on the ferrules of the optical "cables". Obviously Trading Standards and Advertising "regulators" in UK & Ireland are almost useless.

3. paulf
        Coat

Stuff that for a lark, you're not even trying to get the perfect audiological experience.

My BOSE dealer sorted me out with the finest copper free oxygen cables. Only £1000/metre. The purity of that silence is deafening.

1. Tom 7

Trouble is you need 2 lots of 1m for balance!

2. Robert 22

Guess the dealer ran out of the 12 gauge gold cables.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Any fool knows that no matter how many meters of pure gold interconnect you have you wil never full enjoy the sound until you remove all that pesky air from the room with its random mix of different gasses, the room needs to be full of 99.999% pure argon, only then can you (briefly) enjoy the sound as originally intended.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Caught a featurette on Click once about a japanese guy who had spent about £300k on his home hifi setup (including 13k on an upgraded power pole to supply his home)

Strangely he still didn't think it sounded right and planned to spend more.

Stopped my hi-fi spending in its tracks.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

...and planned to spend more

His last expenditure was 50p on a box of cotton buds. That solved the "doesn't sound right" problem.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've been baffled by people who blindly buy into this "firmware update" bull by consumer electronics giants. I mean, I bought a telly and it (...) works, or else, I would have returned it on the same day. I don't need any (...) v3.535b firmware for it to keep working.

Actually, one reason: if there were firmware / hackware to make it into _substantially_ more useful device. Or to block it spying on me (if I'd let it do it in the first place).

Dumb fucks, bose or not (make good headphones though).

1. TRT Silver badge

Unfortunately the more they "enhance" a product the more annoying it becomes. For instance I definitely do not require it of my TV that if I happen to point the remote off the right hand edge of the screen that it pops up a list of suggestions of what to watch. Yet this is, I find, what it does. And you can't turn the bastard feature off. Nor do I require it to do anything beyond display what's coming in on a single HDMI cable, and allow me to adjust the volume (for when I don't fancy the amplifier being on), and picture. Possibly I like the remote control on my phone, as it allows me to turn the thing off (standby) when I can't be bothered going back to the lounge from the bedroom. I certainly don't need a Netflix, Prime, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, Spotify, Plex etc etc app. I don't need it to connect to the WWW (0.5millibytes doesn't even allow a modern web page to render, so don't bother), I don't need it to listen to my voice, I don't need it to show an enhanced programme guide by connecting to some slurp-factory.

I think I just need a bloody big monitor, really.

2. MJI Silver badge

Re: Firmware

My last TV required 3 or 4 software updates to keep working.

First was due to BBC bending rules on service naming. Rather than 01 BBC1 02 BBC 2 03 BBC Choice 04 BBC News 24, suddenly 1 on TV up pops the news, 7 BBC1 and so on.

Then there was another

Finally an update to enable CAM support so I can see those not very good pay channels.

AFAIR Two visits from Sony and a couple of updates on a card to shove in the port on the back.

3. Robert 22

For things like Blu-Ray players, you need the updates if you want to reliably view recent media. Then thee are the products that are advertised as having all the latest and greatest capabilities even though some of these will depend on some future update.

1. MJI Silver badge

Blu Ray players

Both of mine have had regular updates, but they are also games consoles.

Any reason to buy a dedicated one?

6. julian_n

Bose seem to be a totally incompetent company living off a reputation earned years ago. It is not only fixing sound bars that gives them a problem, fixing head phones does as well.

1. TRT Silver badge

A reputation earned years ago selling second hand cars... this time next year, Rodders, we'll be millionaires.

2. John H Woods Silver badge

I don't understand...

Do Yamaha, Dali, JBL, JVC, Sony, Sonos and Samsung use Bose software? Because, if not, I can't see how Bose could possibly be affecting the world's best soundbar.

3. TRT Silver badge

"...they didn't spend £800 on a speaker to muck about being lab rats for Bose and politely opined that maybe the engineering department could fix it or offer a simple rollback procedure"

This.

As IT creeps into consumer electronics. It really makes me itchy to see mid/high-end amplifiers offering clients for streaming services like Napster and Spotify - things where you will need to update firmware/software. Of course the true high-end gear will offer just one input and a pair-matched stereo speaker output, leaving everything else to add-on boxes and a source selector, but those of us without the pennies to buy glowing wires in miniature glass houses like to pretend we have a half-decent system at least - one that doesn't make everything sound like Jamaica Inn.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Happy

It's liberating to be using 20 year old gear.

1. Terje
        Happy

I'm contemplating replacing the caps in my lovely NAD 306 amp as I think they are starting to crap out, I'm definitely not planning on buying a new amp though as one with remotely similar sound quality cost a small fortune today.

2. Tom 7

I'm using quad33/303s (potentially 42yrs) through some Mission boxes. People dont seem to realise music goes down below 120hz.

2. Mystic Megabyte

It can get loud

I bought my stereo 25 years ago for £4 at a jumble sale. (including speakers and a turntable) It's an Akai AA-R21L tuner/amp. The stereo decoder on FM radio no longer works but I can just switch to mono. The amplifier part is still going strong, I now have quite large Sansui speakers. (630mm high)

I don't have a *TV, Facebook or any streaming service so it's YouTube all the way.

*Well I could use the same DVB-T dongle that I use for SDR on a Raspberry PI running TVheadend. But firstly I don't have a TV licence, secondly I can't be bothered to plug it together and thirdly I have never done this honestly your honour.

4. MJI Silver badge

At least worlds best sound bars not affected

Only some Bose shit

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

they didn't spend £800 on a speaker to muck about

they might contradict reality as much as they like, but in real world, the only difference between them and other guinea pigs is that they paid dearly for the privilege, while the rest of us got it FREE.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have they checked their £200 HDMI cables?

1. TRT Silver badge

Yeah mate. There's your problem, see? Pinhole in the sleeve, innit? Let the air in, haven't you? All that oxygen, see. It's oxidised your copper - THAT'S the source of your trouble. Oh dear, oh dear. Spend all that dosh on a decent cable, and you just don't take care of it, do you? Tell you what, in the back of my van I've got something special. Yeah. Second hand, mind you, but it's top quality gear. From the presidential suite at Trump Tower... Solid. Silver. Conductors. Yours for just £1,000 a metre.

1. Terje
        Joke

Bah humbug, you don't get a decent HDMI cable for £200, you need to get into atleast the £500 range before you get appropriate jitter and flutter free cabling which is the absolute minimum grade to be able to watch / listen to anything!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bose? Hi-Fi?

I don't think I've ever heard a decent-sounding Bose set-up. Whether it's all down to the folk who own them and/or set them up, I wouldn't know, but as far as I'm concerned, it's all boom and tizz. Probably appeals to Joe Punter initially but after very few minutes it gets a bit tiresome. They do some powered speakers which go extremely loud and are brilliant for a small, full-range PA system but that's it. Hi-Fi they ain't. As has already been said, even a fairly modest conventional system (Hi-Fi or surround-sound) will knock spots off a sound bar,

1. Aitor 1

Re: Bose? Hi-Fi?

Their aircraft headphones are really good at filtering plane noise.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rabid marketing

Careful what you post here. Bose has a history of filing lawsuits against anyone publishing performance measurements or giving negative reviews of Bose hardware.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Rabid marketing

Try the video essentials frequency sweep.

That would be fun.

No gaps with my Castles.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon