back to article It's all in the RISC: Arm legs it to Computex with a head full of Cortex-A77 CPU, Mali-G77 GPUs

Chip design factory Arm is rolling another CPU core off the assembly language line: the Cortex-A77. It'll probably be the brains of high-end smartphones, modest slab-tops, and other devices shipping early next year. In time for the Computex 2019 industry jamboree in Taiwan this coming week, Arm on Sunday spoke publicly about …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cache lets see it then...

how about support for 70MB total cache and a benchmark ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: cache lets see it then...

A77 cores are supposed to use a similar amount of power to A76s i.e. 5W at 3GHz.

If you compare that to a 3700X on a similar 7nm process (although likely to be low power vs high performance) where you get 8 x SMT cores @3.6GHz using 65W including a lot of cache and IO. I’m not going to try and make an apples vs oranges comparison, just point out they’re in the same ball park.

However, clock everything down to ~2GHz and ARM will win the power race comfortably.

2. thames

Sounds great, but when will I see this new chip turn up in the latest phones from Huawei?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

re Huawei

When?

Probably next week. If Trump is to be believed, the Chinese have all the IP from the west before it gets released or even announced.

In reality?

Give it a couple of months for Google to release the innards that will allow Android to make full use of this new chip. Then Huawei and all the rest of the Chinese makers will hitting the market with new devices.

Don't forget that Huawei are still advertising their phones on UK TV.

I'm sure the POTUS will be twisitng a few 'arms' (pun intended) next week during his visit to get that stopped.

1. Korev Silver badge
        Joke

Re: re Huawei

Well, he does have a chip on his shoulder about Huawei

1. Warm Braw

I hear Arm have given them the finger.

2. Nick Kew

Don't forget that Huawei are still advertising their phones on UK TV.

Are they? Could that be preexisting advertising contracts?

I take it that's on UK broadcasters who have no US interests to feel Trump's wrath?

2. Korev Silver badge
      Pint

Damn, you beat me to it -->

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Next year along with everyone else.

3. Nick Kew
    Coat

Body puns

Does the journo with an eye for so many body parts in a headline have an ear to the ground? Or just a bit of an a**eelbow?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Body puns

When Michael Foot was put in charge of a nuclear-disarmament committee, The Times (of London), according to one of its sub-editors, ran the headline:

Foot heads arms body

We're taught it in headline-writing school. I'm dying for headteachers to quit an Arm-sponsored STEM group so we can do the headline

Heads leg Arm's body

It should be no surprise that El Reg editors hoard headline ideas in a black book waiting for the moment to use them.

C.

1. FlossyThePig

Foot heads arms body

That brings back memories as the letters page printed more ingenious headlines. A colleague devised what he thought was the ultimate one and was worried he would be beaten to it he used the telex machine rather than trust Royal Mail.

What could the headline be for a trendy senior military person viewing a Japanese Buddhist sarcophagus?

"Hip Arms Head Eyes Shin Toe Chest"

1. Joe W Silver badge

We had two headlines above each other (two articles) in a German newspaper (not body part related, but f'ing brilliant):

First one: Ratzinger zum Papst gewählt (Ratzinger elected as pope)

Second: Teufel reicht Rücktritt ein (Devil resigns, "Teufel", which translates as Devil, was the name of a prime minister of one of the states, Baden Wuertemberg, if memory serves me)

2. JulieM Silver badge
        Coat

I'm still waiting for a certain Umbrella hitmaker to get caught on camera relieving herself in New Zealand. "RiRi's Kiwi wee-wee shocker", anyone?

4. kuiash

Optional

You abandoned me... RISC don't live here anymore...

1. A random security guy

Re: Optional

True RISC died a long time ago. And some of the basic tenets like speculative instruction execution, score-boarding, instruction retries, bulk instruction/data fetches have led to security issues.

5. Stuart Halliday
    Angel

Obliquary - Will RISC OS run on the A77?

1. cuddlyjumper
      Facepalm

No doubt it could be, though it would unfortunately make very little use of the facilities of the A77.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

As I understand it, it can only use one of these cores, but would run. However, if it didn't run, you could have a full Linux kernel spin up just to virtualize it and still wouldn't realize it. It's sometimes a bit amazing to think how old software's requirements compare to available technology today.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like