back to article NASA rattles the tin for an extra $1.6bn to keep 2024 lunar hopes alive

US President Donald Trump has put at least some money where his mouth is and requested an additional $1.6bn to land US astronauts on the Moon by 2024. The cash (subject to approval) comes in the form of an amendment (PDF) to the president's initial $21bn FY 2020 budget request for NASA and, as one would expect, the agency has …

1. Alister

Still, the mission does now have a name. Bridenstine announced it would be Artemis

Could be pretty fowl...

2. PghMike

Let's build a wall, *on the moon*!

Let's combine two of Trump's dumbest ideas. We now have a purpose for building a wall, and a place where it will not mess thing up.

1. _LC_
      Facepalm

Re: Let's build a wall, *on the moon*!

I wouldn’t advise it. You might end up with a giant wall close to Mexico’s border. ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Alien

I'm surprised the moonmen haven't built a wall to keep us out yet.

3. Christoph

Will the Selenites pay for it?

3. Andy The Hat Silver badge

In the true spirit of the moon landings ...

Could a moon base be legitimately based on Trumpton?

I mean, it's a few people wandering between fewer secure dwellings, one person responsible for producing energy from the surroundings and another mysterious pair of characters occasionally traveling in a vehicle "there and back again" to an undisclosed remote outpost ... probably very high altitude and military ... to check whether the opposition have established a beach head.

It's all prepared ... they even get there via a rotatey ejector contraption at the start that could be a prototype space elevator ...

With the current quality of CGI surely nobody would notice anything out of place ...?

Cost of animation, £20m, save a packet for the wall, nobody really dies due to budgetary constraints or incompetence, Trump gets a fictitious piece of moon estate named after himself and everyone's quids in ... even the conspiracy theorists can chew over the "is it or isn't it CGI?".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A moon base called Artemis.

I guess I know who's books they read.

5. phuzz Silver badge

Follow the $

In case you were wondering where that extra $1.6B is coming from:

"However, three sources told Ars that, as of Monday, the White House plans to pay the additional $1.6 billion for the lunar program by cutting the Pell Grant Reserve Fund, which helps low-income students pay for college."

(source ArsTechnica.com)

1. John Mangan

Re: Follow the $

There really aren't enough pejorative terms for that . . . . . entity.

2. Christoph

Which means fewer trained technical staff for NASA to employ, and to keep US industry ahead in technical developments.

So they will need even more trained immigrants to keep their country running.

1. Mark 85

So they will need even more trained immigrants to keep their country running.

Well, yes. In spite of our Dear Leader's wanting a wall, his companies use lots of immigrants because "cheap labor" = "profit".

1. Fatman

<quote>Well, yes. In spite of our Dear Leader's Mein Fuhrer's wanting a wall, his companies use lots of immigrants because "cheap labor" = "profit".</quote>

FTFY using the proper term for POTUS.

1. _LC_

"Führer" - don't forget the bullet holes. ;-)

6. JohnFen

Hard to get excited

I'm usually a huge fan of space exploration, and returning to the moon is an inherently exciting thing.

For some reason, though, I'm not excited at all by this. I can't think of a rational reason, really. Maybe it's because it really seems to me like everything is falling apart here on Earth, and I'm more concerned with putting our resources into addressing that.

1. Synkronicity

Re: Hard to get excited

For me it's nuking some important gov't grants that helped put me through college that makes this a bitter trade-off

1. JohnFen

Yes. Even if I were excited about going to the moon at this time, funding it that way would put a damper on my excitement for certain.

1. Twanky

'funding it that way'

I think I understand that you'd rather not see funding for education reduced. I'd agree with that.

If government (any government of any country) wants to spend money on a new project it either has to take more in tax, borrow from it's trading partners or cut spending elsewhere. The first option is rarely popular and the second can lead to longer term problems including more of option three - but at least that will be for a future government to sort out. The third option is basically a matter of priorities and not everyone will agree on those.

Economically successful countries educate their citizens.

7. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Mushroom

Orion

Isn't Freeman Dyson concerned about the hijacking of *his* Orion? Y'know, the one that takes off by lobbing fission bombs out of its arse on a regular schedule...

8. Joe Gurman

Let's hope....

....that Congress also insists on re-funding the Carbon Monitoring System if it funds this boondoggle.

9. Stevie

Bah!

"Moon Trump 1".

Very good.

10. Spherical Cow Silver badge

New unit

"a quarter of a Wall"

It's interesting that Wall is now a unit of currency, even though the physical entity which the unit is named after doesn't even exist.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like