back to article Go on, Skippy, spill yer guts: 10.5 million+ Australians' data was breached in past 3 months

The Office of the Australian Data Information Commissioner's quarterly report has revealed that more than 10.5 million Ozzies – about 40 per cent of the lot of them – had their personal data slurped in one single incident in the first three months of 2019. One specific incident affected "10 000 001 or more" individuals, while …

1. iron Silver badge

Now if only they were secured by strong crypto with no government mandated weaknesses. Oh sorry I forgot the laws of Oz don't allow it.

1. BebopWeBop
      Trollface

well the law is the law, and as we know they override little fictions such as physical laws and mathematical procedures.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Marriot runs prisons now?

"but some observers have pointed the finger at Marriott’s mega-breach "

That's an awful lot of convicts. Still, less than half the total number I guess.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Marriot runs prisons now?

The rest are in politics.

1. BebopWeBop
        Happy

A colleague of mine on a business trip to Oz made a joke about his criminal record (fictional) being an adequate visa shurely? to immigration at Sydney. Needless to say they kept him in for a long, long time before ejecting him 9 hours later into a Sydney at 2am. How we laffed.

1. Dabbb

Considering that Sydney International airport and everything inside it, including Customs and Border Control, closes roughly around 11:30 pm all I can say is - cool story bro.

2. rob123456

Vertically integrate business.

2. Diogenes

10 million aussies stayed at the Marriott? Something that big has to be government or a telco.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sigh

Apparently it is more important to cover up the genitals of an animal on a picture than to apply decent security..

Hopeless. Clearly, fines are not enough.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sigh

True... but we're not supposed to suggest violence as a potential fix.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Sigh

I was more thinking of public tarring and feathering..

4. hitmouse

I notified a government agency of a breach it had made earlier this year, and said they need to file a report. However there appears to be no mechanism for verifying whether or not such a report has been made. The published report lists five sectors without defining what all the sectors it considers might be. It would be edifying to always have the stats on government agencies.

5. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

"Oops. Guess we should have encrypted it... "

6. -tim
    Facepalm

Isn't it more like everyone?

Remember the Equifax data leak was households, not people. They seemed to have leaked a recored for everyone living in a house with an employed person in the US, UK and Australia.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The DIC added ....

"Data Information Commissioner" sounds all grand and important until you realise nobody considered the awkward abbreviation.

Or maybe El Reg was just asking the member of driver of the Soutwestern train for comment ?

1. sanmigueelbeer

Re: The DIC added ....

"Data Information Commissioner" sounds all grand and important until you realise nobody considered the awkward abbreviation.

Watch your language and apologize to the DIC-head.

2. Trixr

Re: The DIC added ....

Some of the language you find in legislation is hilarious.

In NZ tax regulations, "the Commissioner must be satisfied" very frequently (with the methods by which certain processes are administered). I had a job as a copy-holder once reading this stuff out loud for proofing, and we had to pause reasonably frequently to get the giggles out with some of the more egregious methods of satisfaction that were required for the Commissioner.

8. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Waratah National Park

Having spent some teenage years two minutes walk from where Skippy was made, it seems someone stole all the kangaroos – never saw a single one in Ku-ring-gai National Park (the real park).

However, the other suburb we lived in was Kew Gardens (yes the world's two most famous parks, but Kew Gardens isn't fictional), I never saw a lava tree there either!

1. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge

Re: Waratah National Park

That's because they all moved on to one of our paddocks. Huge mob settled in there.

2. eldakka

If you want to see a kangaroo, come to Canberra. They roam the CBD streets.

We also have a lot of Galah's concentrated around the parliament.

3. pwl

Best way to see kangaroo-types in Ku-Ring-Gai & Berowra valley national parks is to plant some young trees or other tasty morsels. Little bastards come out in the morning & gobble them up - at least they did at my place.

4. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

And there is the Australian science fiction series Doctor Roo – travels in the outside loo, the Turdis. Skippies around in time, sometimes even to Kew. Got divorced and now fights the ex-darl.

9. ecofeco Silver badge

Another week

Another hack.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like