back to article Start trek, the next generation: PCie 4 flash controller demo flaunts speedy peripheral vision

An SSD controller company has demonstrated faster SSD access with a gen 4 PCIe controller that was twice as fast as gen 3 PCIe. Fore! PCI Express 4.0 finally lands on Earth READ MORE Taiwanese flash controller firm Phison - which demo'ed the tech at trade show CES in Las Vegas last week - said desktops and notebooks could …

1. Starace

Woo!

Nice to have the bandwidth but it doesn't seem that they're close to stretching gen 3 let alone taking full advantage of gen 4. The bottleneck is elsewhere.

1. Bush_rat

Re: Woo!

Agreed, but if you're on a mainstream Intel desktop chip with only 16 PCIe lanes available, having the speed of those lanes doubled effectively gives you the same speed with twice as many lanes. Once you have an NVMe SSD (x4), a modern GPU (x16) and some spares for the chipset IO (x2 or thereabout), you've used at least 22 of your available 16 lanes and will have to rely on a PLX chip, which will be a bottleneck. AMD having 20 lanes on their desktop platform somewhat alleviates this, but a doubling in speed would still be beneficial.

2. Mark 85

Speeding things up they say..

So no more going to the coffee room to get coffee while the computer boots? The Force will be disturbed by millions of screams once this hits.

1. VikiAi
      Meh

Re: Speeding things up they say..

Nah, they will just use the extra bandwidth to boot in 3D. Even more slowly.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Speeding things up they say..

No - you'll still have that slow-down coffee time, courtesy of a future Windows 10 fall update...

3. Denarius
    Meh

not a problem

the next lot of "security boot" and "software integrity checking" plus whatever horrors java and the latest bloat from the L and windows producers will slow everything down

4. Snowy Silver badge
    Coat

PCie 5

Thinking that if AMD can get PCie 4 running on some older boards if they can get 5 running on the new boards for the 30XX chips.

1. Spazturtle Silver badge

Re: PCie 5

The motherboard just has wires from the CPU socket to the PCI-e slots. Some existing motherboards will be able to work with PCI-e 4 because their traces are of sufficient quality to carry the signal, but it is unlikely that they will work with PCI-e 5 as that will be an even harder signal to carry.

1. Snowy Silver badge

Re: PCie 5

Yes I agree PCie 3 motherboards are unlikely to be able to do PCie 5, but I was thinking of the as yet released X570 Chipset Based AM4 Motherboards which are designed to do PCi4, would be very nice if they are able to do PCie 5 when the spec if released.

5. FrancisKing
    WTF?

Err ... by my maths

"The PCIe gen 4.0 standard is produced by the PCI-SIG consortium and specifies a 16Gbit/s data link speed with up to 16 links or lanes, delivering 64GB/sec, double PCIe gen 3’s 32GB/sec maximum."

16 Gbits/sec x 16 lanes = 256 GBits/sec = 32 GB/sec, not 64 GB/sec.

Typo?

1. Lorribot

Re: Err ... by my maths

From Wikipedia

For single-lane (×1) and 16-lane (×16) links, in each direction:

v. 3.x (8 GT/s): 985 MB/s (×1) 15.75 GB/s (×16)

v. 4.x (16 GT/s): 1.969 GB/s (×1) 31.51 GB/s (×16)

v. 5.x (32 GT/s): 3.938 GB/s (×1) 63 GB/s (×16)

GT/s is gigatransfers per second, these are informal language that refer to the number of operations transferring data that occur in each second in some given data-transfer channel. So only a bit meaningless.

PCI-E v5 has only just started to be worked on, I would imagine it will 3 or 4 years before it turns up.

Re: Err ... by my maths

>PCI-E v5 has only just started to be worked on, I would imagine it will 3 or 4 years before it turns up.

PCI-e 5.0 has been being worked on for quite a while, it is being finalized this year and we should start seeing PCI-e 5.0 products next year.

PCI-e 4.0 was delayed which is why it feels like 5.0 is coming out so soon after it, it was expected that many OEMs would skip PCI-e 4.0 (although PCI-e 5.0 devices will be able to fallback to 4.0).

6. Lorribot

For reference an 8 lane card on PCI v3 would have c8 GB/s of bandwidth, however M2 only comes in 4 lane so is maxed at 3.8GB/s.

As previously mention, the paltry number of channels providded by CPUs manufactourers is teh real bottle neck, i just don't understand why Intel specifically is so mean in this area, especially on their top end processors.

Because if you have lots of lanes you can have 500 servers with 1 CPU and 8 GPUs each for data crunching. Intel wants you to have 10,000 servers with 2 CPUs and no GPUs.

7. FXi

Pretty dramatic impact to notebooks

This will have a nice improvement for servers, but also a nice boost to notebooks using the Thunderbolt connector. One more doubling of TB bandwidth would make the difference between using an external GPU box and an internal card nonexistent. External drive arrays for the video editing audience will also notice a nice boost connected to mobile workstations. And of course docking stations overall can become more elaborate with a single power and data interface that drives whole office setups too. In the desktop arena you might well see a number of cards that needed x4 connectors in the past, able to deal with just and x1 connector under 4.0. That may well help SFF systems to become more capable too.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PCI standards scaling too slow to keep up

The doubling in the pci standard is not fast enough now to keep up with the demand for massive gpu scale up systems running AI / ML and pcie attached storage. We do basically need to skip gen 4 all the way to 5 to keep up with demand.

9. msroadkill

Who needs it? Oh wait...

There are apps with an ~insatiable appetite for ram, and many more would code for if it were mainstream.

Dram is expensive & a bit thirsty.

We can page memory overflows to storage to give an illusion of large memory, but historically, there is such a chasm between memory and storage speeds, it is of very limited use.

Yet when the possibility of storage arrays almost as sequentially fast as memory of not so long ago arises (i.e. ~unlimited, cheap ~memory), its a giant yawn apparently.

10. E 2

"... almost instantly..."

You know very well that MS will add shedloads of no-ops to everything in order to make it look like Windows is "working hard".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like