back to article US foreign minister Mike Pompeo to give UK a bollocking over Huawei 5G plans

America’s foreign secretary is to deliver a telling-off to the UK over the British government’s decision to maintain the Huawei status quo for 5G networks, according to reports. Mike Pompeo, who is the US Secretary of State, will meet Brit prime minister Theresa May and make a speech mentioning Huawei, reported the BBC. This …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

51st state

Hold your horses, pompei, brexit has stalled, so we ain't the 51st state yet

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: 51st state

"Hold your horses, pompei, brexit has stalled, so we ain't the 51st state yet"

But the new 7th in line to the British throne is also a US citizen. A few "accidents" and a Yuuuuge election campaign in 20-30 years and a British king could be President of the USA :-)

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Spoiler alert: that's not going to happen. If nativists have told anything effectively true to world is that an American citizen must also have been born in US territory to be eligible to the presidency (see Trump's repeated Obama birth certificate demands).

1. MR J

In 1790 there was an actual Act that stated anyone born to US Citizens were "Natural Born" citizens.

This Act was superseded in 1795 and the "Natural" part was not included in the wording.

Now, the English Crown has defined it as your actual place of birth, but in most American historical reference it's your entitlement at birth.

A couple of cases of things like this have come up in the past, with resolutions happening outside of the courtroom. The problem is that most Americans would view it as entitlement at birth, but once they hear the King could be President then most would instantly switch sides. A bit like those that want US gun crime to go down - by buying out all bumpstocks in case they need them to stop gun crime.

This new kid is quite far from the Throne, but I think it would be possible.

My guess is that the child will give up US citizenship during those 1-2 years you can do it without penalty as a teenager.

"My guess is that the child will give up US citizenship during those 1-2 years you can do it without penalty as a teenager."

At the very least, for tax reasons. There's already special processes in place for Meghan and her tax situation.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Article I Section 9, paragraph 8 of the US Constitution may be an obstacle... don't know about UK law.

3. ratfox
          Boffin

I think that claim essentially died when Ted Cruz, who was born in Canada, ended up runner-up for the Republican nomination. Lawsuits were filed, and the question was settled.

4. theblackhand
          Black Helicopters

"an American citizen must also have been born in US territory"

Why do you think there was so much secrecy about the birth and Meghan was smuggled out of her royal accommodation?

It's because the baby was born in the US embassy.

See? US territory. The conspiracy goes on...

5. HobartTas

My understanding is that anyone born on US soil automatically becomes a US citizen regardless of their parent(s) status and also if born elsewhere to at least one US citizen parent then all that parent has to do is simply apply for citizenship status for their child by way of supplying documentation of birth and custody and then its just granted.

1. Spanners Silver badge
            Pirate

anyone born on US soil automatically becomes a US citizen

Not always, if they are too brown or have the wrong religion.

1. not.known@this.address

Re: 51st state - Spanners' comment

Spanners, how brown is "too brown", and which is the "wrong religion"?

Or did I imagine Mr Obama's Presidency? (I'm not trying to troll you, I'm genuinely confused by your comment).

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: 51st state - Spanners' comment

Obama was born on US soil. Slam dunk.

Did you forget the lengths Trump and the right wing media in general went to to "prove" he was born in Kenya?

2. ratfox

all that parent has to do is simply apply for citizenship status for their child by way of supplying documentation of birth and custody and then it's just granted.

Not quite. The citizenship is granted automatically, even without applying for it, whether the parents want it or not. It is not possible to refuse. The child cannot even renounce US citizenship until they're 18.

People may try to hide the fact they're US citizens, but if the IRS finds them out, they'll still have to pay income tax.

6. veti Silver badge

Not true. John McCain, Republican nominee in 2008, was born in Panama. The only requirement is that you must be a "natural born citizen".

Megan's kids could certainly meet that requirement, since she hasn't renounced her citizenship (and is presumably still paying federal income tax, the more fool her).

However, the kid won't be eligible to run until at least 2054 (which isn't a presidential year, so 2056, unless something happens to the election cycle).

2. Teiwaz

in 20-30 years and a British king

I'm not even certain there'll be a kingdom in 20-30 years, the upcoming Royal generations no longer have the gravitas of the current monarchs generation.

May not be much of the U.K. left if the politicians are allowed to dither and fuck about while milking the benefits for MPs system for all it's worth.

1. Jemma

On the contrary dear boy, they have proven quite talented at talking out of their gravitas, on far too regular an occasion - some of their studied inanities would put Prince "my mum wasn't nuts, and I'm not either, so there" Phillip to shame.

1. Teiwaz

On the contrary dear boy, they have proven quite talented at talking out of their gravitas,

Nothing contrary about it. Their presumed 'gravitas' has absolutely nothing to do with their behaviour, and all to do with the respectful space left around them from the previous generations view of Royalty (greater distance, more respect). The current lot don't benefit from that.

It'll be death from media over-exposure within a decade of the old generations passing.

Either that or slipping into a lower key 'European' Royalty role. Which either they won't or won't be allowed to.

2. Trollslayer

Andrew - air ambulance pilot.

Imagine you have a four year old child in the back of the aircraft and no matter how hard you push the aircraft you can't get to hospital before the child dies.

Harry - infantry. While back from his first tour a lose d friend was killed and his family really didn't want him to go back but in the end respected his decision.

Care to comment?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. jospanner

Yes.

What does any of that have to do with them being a royal?

3. Flywheel

I'm not sure how they still have the nerve to call it the "United" Kingdom - pretty much every other country in the Kingdom wants to follow Scotland's lead and even South Yorkshire's devolution plan is now being taken seriously.

3. Dave Schofield

>But the new 7th in line to the British throne is also a US citizen. A few "accidents" and a Yuuuuge election campaign in 20-30 years and a British king could be President of the USA :-)

Got to be at least 35 and living in the USA for 14 years before they qualify to run.

1. Jemma

Upvote for the idea - but I hope fervently you don't mean Meritless Markle herself - she'd be more insufferable as US Shitgibbon in Chief than Winston Spencer Churchill (his mum was inbredistani, and very pretty by all accounts - God alone what happened to produce Winston who looks like a bulldog with advanced mumps).

Im sure they'll be plenty of tesla shooting brakes around for royals to be incinerated in, although where you'd find a white Fiat Uno... Or there's always the Jeep cheerio-kee (the kee is the noise all the expelled air makes through your larynx when you realise you are standing in front of a wall at the bottom of the hill, and the parking brake failed 20 seconds ago..) - and they're owned by Fiat so that gives us an excuse to invade Italy to get our own back for the Asterix books and crappy Arthurian remakes starring Noddy, Big Ears, and their sidekicks token Witch and extremely token almost-but-not-quite-black actress playing a not-quite-domestic-slave...

The British Empire 2.0 - on which the sun never sets (because its too busy pissing itself laughing).

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"so that gives us an excuse to invade Italy to get our own back for the Asterix books"

No one knows where Alesia is.

1. bpfh
              Trollface

Alésia is a metro station in Paris.

Alésia

75014 Paris

https://goo.gl/maps/3m7rJs8wpCzBW3kaA

2. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

I thought it was in modern day Burgundy.

For you US readers - that's a region in France also quite famous for a particular type of wine, and cheeses. France itself is in Europe.

Thanks.

3. Stevie
              Pint

Have an e-beer while the whooshing sounds deafen you.

2. Stevie

amanfrmmars, is that you?

4. Tom 7

7th in line - you mean The Half-Blood Prince according to one of my local UKIP friends!

5. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

British king could be President of the USA

That assumes that we (there is no we) would want to take any responsibilty for fixing the giant sewer that the US will be by then - we have enough problems trying to swim though our own effluent..

2. Synkronicity

You'd be states 51 through 53 as I'm certain Wales and Scotland would like their own separate congressional representation. ;)

1. STOP_FORTH

I'm sure you are correct, but what would the Yanks do with Queen Nichola?

"I'm sure you are correct, but what would the Yanks do with Queen Nichola?"

Pickle'er?

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

Has anyone actually *seen* this "backdoo"r in Huwei kit?

Or has it been the usual f**kwitted development tactics that all networking mfgs have been guilty of (I'm looking at you Cisco) at one point or another.

And $deity on a bike the US Foreign Secretary (or WTF they call him) and May talking about tech.

Like either of them knows what they are talking about or why (from a technical PoV) it's important.

2. Aladdin Sane
    Mushroom

Good old fashioned protectionism, pure and simple.

1. JetSetJim

Pompeo is a bloke who thinks that retreating polar ice caps are a good thing because the US can get its tat from China 20 days quicker.

1. oiseau
        Flame

Quite

Pompeo is ...

Quite obviously an asshole.

O.

1. Trollslayer

Re: Quite

Arseholes are offended by the comparison.

2. Tom 7

That would save a lot of CO2!

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Arctic Circle?

I think if you're transporting goods from China to the U.S. and you're crossing the Arctic Circle, you're doing it wrong.

But I can imagine Pompeo actually saying that, though.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Arctic Circle?

Here's what Pompeo said.

More, and video of him saying it (for the sceptics) at https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/06/politics/pompeo-sea-ice-arctic-council/index.html

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday praised the Arctic region -- and its rapidly shrinking levels of sea ice -- for its economic opportunities, despite continued warnings about the catastrophic effects of climate change.

"The Arctic is at the forefront of opportunity and abundance," Pompeo said in remarks in Rovaniemi, Finland. "It houses 13 percent of the world's undiscovered oil, 30 percent of its undiscovered gas, an abundance of uranium, rare earth minerals, gold, diamonds, and millions of square miles of untapped resources, fisheries galore."

"Steady reductions in sea ice are opening new passageways and new opportunities for trade," he continued. "This could potentially slash the time it takes to travel between Asia and the West by as much as 20 days."

"Arctic sea lanes could become the 21st century Suez and Panama Canals," Pompeo remarked.

2. macjules

One would hope that Mr Pompeo will get his meetings arranged correctly. Bash May and then meet the Bishop, not meet May and then bash the bishop.

3. Velv
    Flame

It's a pity the UK has decided to leave Europe, the clout of Europe in the rest of the World is just what the US needs to put it back in its box.

The Chinese make good kit. Do I entirely trust them? No. But then I don't trust the American kit either.

The US is about to invade "surgically eliminate unwanted activity" in Iran, and the stance the UK and Europe take could be very telling for the future. The US is very soon going to find itself isolated on the World stage. Make American Great Again? Trump has almost achieved entirely the opposite, and is on course to totally fail by re-election time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>>is on course to totally fail by re-election time

You're applying rational thinking and reasoning to the population deciding how to vote. It doesn;t work that way, he is on course to be a re-elected..

1. Rich 11

he is on course to be a re-elected..

...arsehole?

2. Beau

Is on course to totally fail by re-election time

Trump may be on course to loose the next election, but anyone who thinks loosing an election, will get the Trumps out of the White House is dreaming.

2. Teiwaz

Make American Great Again

Spelling mistake, it should be 'Grate'*, (we all knew it) and here we have Pompeo over to nag over another unproven U.S. 'fact' and prove the point.

Get the tit out of the whitehouse and maybe the U.S. can be taken seriously again.

* Whether the U.S. 'grated' before or not is not the issue,it's mostly attempts by an utter twat to shape the world to his childish will (or else he'll throw another tantrum).

3. Jamie Jones Silver badge

"It's a pity the UK has decided to leave Europe, the clout of Europe in the rest of the World is just what the US needs to put it back in its box."

Of course, that (and selling us Chlorinated chicken) is why the American administration loves brexit. They'd love nothing more than a weakened Europe - despite the fact it would be advantageous to Putin too

4. alain williams Silver badge

Fuck off Pompeo

The UK is a sovereign state, we make decisions according to our own interests. We do not want to be bullied by another country: especially one that is wrapping up their commercial interests as a security issue.

I believe that Pompeo is trotting out this fake news on behalf of Trump - someone who shows no restraint on lying to get what he wants.

Please fix the proven spying in kit made in the USA before you complain about unproven spying in kit from elsewhere.

1. Captain Scarlet
      Stop

"We make decisions according to our own interests"

That still doesn't mean you can steal biscuits from our biscuit barrel!

Those Rich Teas are our departments!

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Fuck off Pompeo

Yep, we don't lecture the US over gun laws or executing prisoners. And this comes after the US has already unilaterally imposed trade sanctions on most of its allies. What a smart diplomatic move that was. So smart.

Anyway, it's not as if the NSA still won't be listening or that the hordes of the incompetents won't be leaking their plans all over the interwebs. Or maybe, they just need to ask their friends the Russians to do another doc dump.

1. Kabukiwookie

The US doesn't do diplomacy anymore aside from the gunboat variety

If your only tool* is an oversized military, every problem requires a casus belli.

(*)not referring to Trump, Pompeo or Bolton this time.

3. hplasm
      Thumb Up

Seconded - Fuck off Pompeo, you Pseudo-theocratic twat.

1. rnturn

Pseudo?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Pseudo?

'Having a form of godliness but denying its power[1]' would fit quite nicely.

(IE - giving the outward appearance of Christianity but not actually bothering to learn or apply the principles underlying it.)

4. Dagg Silver badge

We do not want to be bullied by another country

Didn't the UK invent and perfect this technique? British Empire anyone, east india company etc.

1. not.known@this.address

Dagg asked "Didn't the UK invent and perfect this technique? British Empire anyone, east india company etc."

The difference is, we learnt that this is NOT the best way to make friends and influence people. Some nations have not yet realised this.

2. hmv

Indeed.

We knew how to be evil properly and with class.

5. Potemkine! Silver badge

The UK is a sovereign state, we make decisions according to our own interests

ROTFL! One example: invasion of Iraq in 2003 - Many times UK acts like an US poodle.

Many times UK acts like an US poodle

Sadly, I think the last time we had a prime minister prepared to stand up to the US it was Thatcher..

6. Tom 7

"The UK is a sovereign state, we make decisions according to our own interests. "

I'd agree with the first part.

7. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Remeber. Pompeo is clinically insane. He recently said that Trump was sent by God to save Israel from Iran.

The fact our government entertains meetings with such people shows how fucked BRexit has made us.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47670717

He recently said that Trump was sent by God to save Israel from Iran

Which is along the same lines as Bush juniors' (along with Tony Blur) reasons for invading Iraq.

(There is a line in the Bible about Israel living in "peace and safety" prior to the return of Christ. Shrub has gone on record as stating that his invasion of Iraq was, in part, driven by his desire to achieve that. Which says a great deal about the depth of his (and Tonys') theology..)

Unhappy

Yeah, end-timers.. scary.. they are not so unalike the muslim fanatics they hate so much.

5. phuzz Silver badge
    Devil

It's fine. Most of this Huawei kit is going to be mis-configured so badly it won't even be able to communicate with something in the next rack, let alone China.

6. Adrian 4

Code inspection

Why would anyone allow externally-built systems in their national networks without a code inspection ? And if you're going to inspect it anyway, why should the Chinese pose a greater risk than any other national or international supplier ?

You could tell me that companies (and governments) take these things on trust. That it's too expensive to check it all.

Sorry, but that's part of the cost of subcontracting a job. QA is part of the processing. Skip it at your peril, as is shown so often in commercial screwups. Ask Boeing. Or MIcrosoft. Or one of hundreds of others.

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Re: Code inspection

@Adrian 4

Recently it was NASA purchasing sub standard Aluminium from a contractor that ws faking QA results. Luckily not used for manned missions,......

2. Trollslayer

Huawei's mobile network equipment and software has been inspected for at least five years that I know of.

3. Tom 7

"Why would anyone allow externally-built systems in their national networks without a code inspection?"

Let me guess - they've outsourced the code inspection to Oumuamua?

7. Jemma

To paraphrase Sir David Kelly..

If you think we're going to gamble on Herr Trumps "guarantees", you're making a grave mistake. All those years in Inbredistan seem to have left you mentally deranged. We're not easily frightened. Also we know how hard it is for your army to cross a river, let alone the channel. The last little Shitgibbon who tried came a cropper. So don't threaten or dictate to us until you're waddling up Whitehall! And even then we won't listen!

I can just see the scene in my minds eye.

Quite frankly it's lucky I'm not PM cos every single Inbredistani would be deported. They funded the IRA, they kicked off Al Qaeda in every sense of the word, and then people here died violently because of their stupidity and actions.

They're not the descendants of Europes "huddled masses" because most of the people who ended up there were people who were rightly hated for either religious or political shit stirring of epic and universal proportions - and then they interbred (and more than occasionally inbred). So now we have sociopathic religiopathic racist psychopaths and their attitude is spreading to us.

America - if you hadn't noticed we are in the middle of a mass extinction that you very strongly can be blamed for. Kindly do the world a favour and leave early to avoid the rush. I am entirely sure you have enough guns - and you millennial snowflakes should be able to find a YouTube video.. "How to shoot yourself in the face" would be a good start.

1. Denarius
      Unhappy

Re: To paraphrase Sir David Kelly..

@J. You really need to stop inhaling your religions impropaganda. Much as I loathe merkins as a nation, (not necessarily individuals) most of the unpleasant types arrived in the first two centuries. After that many arrivals were the victims of murderous PHBs, crowned or otherwise. As for mass extinctions, WTF ? Such as ? North American farmland is reverting to wilderness, Europe has forests replanted. Only non-western nations are mass damaging environments. Dont seem to here much about that.

The only things lately that have become extinct are reason, reasoned discussion and manners

1. Jemma

Zero to climate change denier in 20 minutes - that has to be a record even for here.

Just so we are clear - who kept the "third world or underdeveloped" countries in that state until now.

Oh my furry Shitgibbons - that's right - the European colonial powers, Russia and the US (not necessarily in that order).

And although it's a very unfashionable fact, blood and upbringing tells. Sociopathic behaviour and belief in religion stemming from that has been distilled in the US like a hogwarts potion - it's endemic and always will be unless someone does a Novichok-reset and black start* on the Inbredistani collective.

*A grid electricity term of art, it means restarting from literally nothing.

And please understand - the extinction is happening - even inbredistani scientists (and I use the term under advisement) agree its happening and that warming may go as high as +7°c or more. Good luck ostrich-boy.

Who knows you might be reincarnated as a lystrosaurus...

2. phuzz Silver badge
        Boffin

"As for mass extinctions, WTF ? Such as ?"

Depends when you're talking. Things like mammoths, mastodon etc. died out suspiciously close to the time that the first humans arrived in the Americas, but we don't know for sure. More recently however, European settlers managed to wipe out the Passenger pigeon, and almost wiped out the buffalo among other species.

You know what, this is a perfect opportunity to just link to the list of animals in North America that have gone extinct since people turned up. It's a pretty long list.

As for habitat destruction, that's still going on as well, and at a much greater rate than rewilding is going on. This bit of research estimates that in the Western US alone, a 'football'* field of previously natural land was lost every two and half minutes between 2001 and 2011.

I'm not intending to single the US out here, it's much the same in Europe (except most of the habitat was lost a thousand years ago, not fifty), and as the bit about the mammoths shows, humans are just fucking bad news for almost every other species on the planet as soon as they turn up somewhere.

* I assume they mean an American football field, which is 90x50m for the rest of us.

1. Kabukiwookie

humans are just fucking bad news for almost every other species on the planet as soon as they turn up somewhere.

Unless they're cute or yummy, in which case we'll put in extra effort to increase their population.

1. Stork Silver badge

Or rats or gulls, which seem to thrive in human company

1. Tom 7

Its not the company its the shit we waste.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Or rats or gulls, which seem to thrive

Gulls are *not* thriving - like most seabirds they are showing quite a marked decline.

2. DontFeedTheTrolls
      Terminator

"How to shoot yourself in the face"

Perhaps God (and I'm actually an Atheist), but perhaps God does have a plan for the 2nd Amendment...

3. Rich 11

I can just see the scene in my minds eye.

More like the scene in the bottom of the sixth pint glass consumed in a dingy corner of the empty lounge bar at the Lamb & Flag.

4. STOP_FORTH

Please don't be so reserved and British. Tell us what you really think.

5. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

we are in the middle of a mass extinction that you very strongly can be blamed for

Actually (and to be fair) we also share a good deal of responsibility for it too - we were the ones to start burning vast amounts of fossil fuels on our path to industrialisation.

Yes, we've started stopping now, but t'was us that started it.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gavin Williamson denies the leak came from him, I wonder who had most to gain from the leak. Does anyone know if the conferencing equipment at the NSC was supplied by any well-known US manufacturers of networking equipment? And/or "inspected" by the US government before being shipped here...

1. Gordon 10

Nice theory :).

Unfortunately Occams Razor suggests that the one who has demonstrated multiple acts of stupidity plus spoke to the papers editor a couple of hours before the story ran is probably guilty.

For any normal employee it would have been gross misconduct and a summary firing without notice. For him he gets 3 months severance and gets a gold plated pension.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

spoke to the papers editor a couple of hours before the story ran is probably guilty.

I'm not sure how this really stacks up as evidence. All the Tories are talking the TosserTory press all the time.

It wouldn't surprise me if Williamson was the source of the leak but he's only one of the likely candidates. The fact that there won't be a criminal investigation, which there should be for a breach of the Official Secres Act, suggests the sacking was as much political as anything else.

Occam's razor should also align with cui bono and I don't see this with Williamson, yet.

1. Geoffrey W

It wouldn't surprise me if Williamson was the leak but he didn't realise he was leaking. He was just chatting to this nice man who seemed to like him, not realising what he was saying, and what could be inferred; so when he claims he wasn't the leak he might not be lying, even though he was the leak. He does seem to have risen far beyond his abilities and has Brexit to thank for this, since May has quite clearly been scraping the bottom of the barrel for some time now for talented people to surround herself with. All the capable politicians have long since walked out on her, if there were any in the first place - lets say all the least incapable politicians have abandoned her, leaving her with this lot.

1. MJI Silver badge

My thoughts too.

Not realising he was leaking hence the denials.

So many incompetents in one place.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Hi Gavin

You keep pushing this theory, it was cock the first time, it's cock now.

1) all calls in the uk are recorded ( hint, how do you think the actual telephone calls works.

You establish a connection to the service centre, the service centre sends the recipient a message to, to establish a connection to the service centre.

The service centre acts as a transparent proxy forwarding data between the two connections.

That is an operational requirement. That audio data is marked up with keywords, based on the same sort of tech that underpins (Draggon, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_NaturallySpeaking, or Siri)

How long he was on the phone for is kept for billing purposes amongst other reasons, get an itemised bill if you want to see this in action.

Any thing interesting will be flagged for an analyst to actually listen to the audio.

That is how, they got the treasonous toad.

TL;DR don't f with the security services unless you want to end up in a gym bag in your own bath.

2. Yes Me Silver badge
      WTF?

Who cares who leaked it?

Anyway, who cares who leaked it? There was no possible security reason to keep it secret; even Constable Plod reached that conclusion very quickly. So the reason was political (most likely to avoid pissing off Pompeo and John Bolton, who tell the Trump child what to think about such things). And leaking a political decision is very standard behaviour for politicians.

3. not.known@this.address

Don't American companies have to give the alphabet soup brigade full access anyway, under the "Patriot Act"?

9. RobertLongshaft

Some of you people are as thick as a submarine door.

Why did the Conservative party give Huawei a contract?

David Cameron's Office Executive Director - Now Chairman of Huawei UK

David Cameron's Head of trade and development - Now a Board member of Huawei UK

David Cameron's Chief Intel and Media officer - Now Director of security Huawei UK

But it must be Mike Pompeo and Donald Trump's fault that our politicians will sell out the security of the nation for a few shackles hey?

Anything for the anti Trump angle, you're deranged.

1. Adair Silver badge

Ah ha, you've nailed it! Except you haven't.

Like they say in the gangster movies: "It's just business"

The thing is, what you have described is merely par for the course. What we need to know is that US supplied equipment is 'backdoor' free, AND substantive evidence that Huawei's kit leaks like a colander at the CPC's command.

So far we have plenty of historic and present evidence that US kit is the NSA/CIA's poodle, and that the Huawei's kit is full of bits of manky code (and we can assume that should the CPC request it Huawei will do what they can to comply).

So what's new?

It all looks far too much like US commercial interests getting worried that their money stream is being diverted, and the US three letter guys losing their monopoly on peering into everyone else's business.

Choice is good, bright lights shining in darkened corners is even better.

1. RobertLongshaft

Business? That's a funny way to spell CORRUPTION.

But hey ho, you're ok with former civil servants selling out the national security of the UK for a few quid. No doubt you're an avid remoaner who believes that Britain should be dissolved into the United States of Europe with Herr Junker in charge, so we don't need security anyway. Or an army, navy, nuclear arsenal etc etc

CLOWN.

1. Big_Boomer Silver badge

Better that than becoming State 51 of the USA. As for politicians and civil servants being corrupt, that holds for most of them, regardless of the country. What is the difference between Trump and Pompeo using bully tactics to make their pals more money, and Cameron getting his buddies plum jobs in industry? It's all corrupt, dishonest and business as usual. And yes, they and their puppy press/media HAVE been lying to you for years and you suck it up because it pampers to your personal inability to blame yourself for your problems. And no, the EU isn't perfect, but it's a darned sight better than our lot, or the USA's lot, mostly because as an institution it hasn't had hundreds of years to bury the corruption deep inside the system. 2 things seem to hold true almost all the time:- If a politician is talking, he/she is lying. If a politician is responsible for money, some of that money is going into his/her pockets. I don't doubt that some politicians are honest and caring and hardworking, but they are a minority in a system that rewards corruption.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why did the Conservative party give Huawei a contract?

What contract is that? Or rather, what the **** are you on?

Since when was the Conservative party a telco, or even an ISP?

Let us just be grateful our prime minister seems to have just about enough commonsense to defy Trump and leave network procurement to the companies that have the expertise to do the job. Dammit, it used to be Socialists whose mad ideology wanted government interfering in trade and industry. Now we have Trump and his acolytes making Corbyn look like a moderate.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

If you want to look for regulatory capture and revolving doors you need look no further than your own backyard swamp.

10. sanmigueelbeer
    Thumb Down

Suspicion is rising that what the US truly fears is Chinese technological domination of the comms tech sector.

And who's fault is that?

Which country gave tacit "approval" for China to continuously breach copy-write for more than half a century?

Which country openly lobbied for globalization and move in-country manufacturing to PRoC which, coincidentaly, is very adept in reverse engineering everything?

1. Trollslayer

Anything to get stuff made more cheaply.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Which country gave tacit "approval" for China to continuously breach copy-write for more than half a century?"

The same country which did exactly the same for much of it's relatively short history. The same country that has been one of the last to sign up to internation copyright and patent protection treaties and the like, the same country that uses it's power and influence to get exceptions in the treaties for it's own benefit.

1. Robert 22

I'll also add that the US has created an IP regime where patents that should never have been issued are used to torment innovative businesses, especially including those from foreign jurisdictions i.e., the IP laws have become devices to protect American business interests, specifically entrenched industry players and patent trolls.

1. Tom 7

At least we nearly know how

SCOne is pronounced!

11. MrGutts
    Happy

The administration is all bend out of shape because they are not going to be making any good money off Huawei. They would rather see some other company they own mega stocks in.

12. JaitcH
    Stop

I Wonder The U.S. Reaction Would Be If U.S. Products . . .

were subjected to the same tests? The country still thinks it is the best in everything, which is an illusion.

Few (no) first iterations of software are without fault - ask Boeing and all the victims of the 737MAXX crashes.

One thing for sure, once HuaWei cleans up the boo-boos that have been reported, it will be the cleanest 5G OS world-wide.

13. Dr.Flay
    Holmes

Please Pompeo point out parts pertaining to problems for patching in person, or piss off promptly.

When he gets here I hope they give him a tour of the GCHQ/Huawei center, and he can kindly point at the kit with the backdoors that we can't find, and show us where to look.

Maybe someone should present him with a list of Huawei CVEs and a list of Cisco CVEs, while covering the names at the top and ask him to choose which networking kit he would use ?

14. Chronos
    Meh

I'm trying my best...

...but I really cannot locate that shit to give about yet another bloody Five Eyes proponent spouting off predictably. Opinions: Like arseholes, everyone has one and most of them stink.

There's an ironic dichotomy of opinion on the ethics of backdooring core kit. It seems that as long as your glass house runs on some form of "democracy," being the worst system of government bar all the others, you're fine to lob boulders at whim. Can't expect Pompeo to understand irony, of course.

1. Jemma

Re: Irony

Should probably tell him to ask the Dwarfs - a win-win situation because you just *know* he'll call them "lawn ornaments" and be found hanging from trees and jammed down rabbit holes shortly after..

Old pTerry & George Carlin must be watching with disbelief - not even the two combined could come up with this..

15. MJI Silver badge

I trust GCHQ more than some

overblown windbag

16. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    WTF?

Security

Actually, I'm not certain the US has heard of it.

17. adam payne

America’s foreign secretary is to deliver a telling-off to the UK over the British government’s decision to maintain the Huawei status quo for 5G networks, according to reports.

Well if he must but as long as he remembers we don't answer to him.

I hope you're right...

18. BebopWeBop

Theresa May, the UK's current prime minister

I prefer the acronym LION (leader in name only c/o John Crace)

"LINO"

HTH :-)

19. MJI Silver badge

I feel sorry for the Arch Bishop

Having to put up with the overzealous religious nutbag.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like