back to article If the thing you were doing earlier is 'drop table' commands, ctrl-c, ctrl-v is not your friend

Are you hoping to make it through the week without a major balls-up? El Reg's fingers are crossed for you – but remember, not everyone is that lucky. On the plus side, that does provide us – and you – with the fodder we need for our Who, Me? column. Our weekly trip down the memory lanes people would probably rather forget is …

1. RockBurner

So what happened to Sid? Fired, quit, censured, or did he hide in the server room for 3 years living off condensation and the flesh of junior techies who wandered haplessly to their deaths?

1. Aqua Marina

Probably not very much. The article says backups were a daily, so they probably just reverted to the night before, and pretended nothing happened.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You'd hope they backed up the tran logs and could get everything to within a few seconds of when the tables were dropped!

2. TeeCee Gold badge

As in:

Helpdesk: "Yes, there does seem to be a problem, could you save everything you have open, shut your machine down, restart, log back in and then try it again please..." (hand over receiver) "WE'VE GOT ABOUT TEN MINUTES TO RESTORE THIS BASTARD!"

3. JLV
        Trollface

And it being yet-another-social-network startup, it was probably defunct 2 months later anyway. So he didn’t have to live off cannibalising wandering interns for very long. Now, no one remembers or wants to own up to working there.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: So what happened to Sid?

He lost a few friends...

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

Good for him

All we need is for someone at FB etc to use Sid's scripts! Win-Win-Win! Kill it with Fire!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good for him

I felt the same. The demise of another social network site is nothing to be regretted. Perhaps even a cause of celebration.

And yes, I do see the irony of making this point on the El Reg forum which, in a sense, is a type of social network site itself.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: Good for him

El Reg forum which, in a sense, is a type of social network site itself.

Gosh (flutters eyes), that's the first time someone has called me social..

Thanks for brightening up a boring Tuesday :)

2. Mike 16

Social Network?

I see ElReg comments as something like an Anachronistic Social Badgering Organization.

Could make a catchy acronym, too.

1. Anonymous Custard
          Trollface

Re: Social Network?

Somehow I think we're more an Anti-Social Bastard Organisation...

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

"I won't even have to take a backup of the database"

Just thinking that will immediately draw the attention of the God of Hubris, who will instantly think of ways to make your day (or even decade) thoroughly miserable.

Never even think of saying that. As Lu Tse says: "There is no such thing as too many backups"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "I won't even have to take a backup of the database"

I always have at least two database backups with two proved recoveries before I touch the database or let new code touch it. Seen the crash and burn from the latter before I learned that the hard way.

2. m0rt

Actually, that quote from Lu Tse, when not paraphrased, was:

"There is no such thing as too many backups as long as you removed the incriminating evidence...anyway whose round is it as it can't be mine as I was giving consultancy advice and that doesn't come cheap, and there had better be salted nuts too..."

He was a wise old bird.

Too wise to not quote him fully

3. TomPhan

"There is no such thing as too many backups"

There is when nobody has labelled the tapes and you have to try them to find the most recent.

1. Little Mouse

"There is no such thing as too many backups"

There is when the backups in question are all incrementals, going back weeks and weeks, and you need to restore a tiny piece from every bastard one of them to restore the full data set.

4. entfe001
    Facepalm

Always ALWAYS ALWAYS type START TRANSACTION before anything else on an interactive database shell console.

Always ALWAYS ALWAYS check you have not messed up before typing COMMIT.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Wrong, you always start with a ROLLBACK in case you are in the middle of a transaction and forgot. The very worst thing that can happen is an error message that you aren't in a transaction, which is all to the good.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Transactions are one of the many SQL/RDMS-things that either didn't (maybe still doesn't?) work in MySQL at the time when people used MySQL for Everything, because "Fast SELECT" or "FOSS".

My own experiences with MySQL tells me that ROLLBACK would run without any errors, but, still silently trash *something*, making the database crash after the long while it takes for the server to run out of disk space, memory or both, depending on how the abomination that is "Java.Util.Logging" was misconfigured this time.

1. JLV

You know, in an extremely rare case of cross pollination java.util.logging was ported to the Python standard library. In theory it does everything and makes coffee too.

In practice, I have found it one of the rare corners of Python where I just can’t seem to grasp how it all ties together. Change one setting somewhere to log errors to email and now console logging stops in another module. It’s a big ball of nested factories, strategies and dependency injections. Typical Java enterprisey approach to stuff. It’s not so much the language as the deliberate architecting for complexity.

I know I should just sit down start with a simple case and play with settings while building up complexity. Life’s too short so I mostly put up with larger logfiles.

And, face it, using Mysql for anything else than a basic CRUD system (where it shines) is almost as bad as corporate “devs” thinking Access is suitable for real business systems because they are too lazy to do grunt dba work. Postgres is just as free and has a much richer, very stable, feature set.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Looks like you should spend more time in MySQL's "error messages only annoy" shell.

mysql> rollback;

Query OK, 0 rows affected (0,01 sec)

Is pretty much all you can expect to see.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Looks like you should spend more time in MySQL's "error messages only annoy" shell.

I was referring to a real DBMS, one with a proper error message like "Rollback failed, no transaction".

2. ghp

I've known an unpopular RDBMS where DDL statements were always commited immediately. If you have responsability, act appropriately.

1. Little Mouse

"responsability"

You are "H" and I claim my £5.

1. MonkeyBob

"responsability"

You are "H" and I claim my £5.

Definatly

2. Scott 53

"You are 'H' and I claim my £5."

£50,000, surely.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
            Pint

Dodgy Padded Envelope.

Mother of God £50,000 just you make sure that you drop it off to the widow Corbett, fella.

2. disgruntled yank

Unpopular

Oracle may be unpopular, but by golly it's widely used.

1. Mark 85

Re: Unpopular

I doubt that Oracle is the first choice of many of us tech types.

1. Joe W Silver badge

Re: Unpopular

So... the manglement listen to techies now?

What a quaint idea.

3. el_oscuro
        Mushroom

I am a DBA for that RDBMS and *always* login to anything important with a low privileged account. That way those DDL commands don't work unless I have expressly elevated my privileges to perform them,

1. fajensen
          Pint

From very ancient times, I still remember the happy message at the end of a shift:

"$SYSTEM: I have upped my priority so now up yours."

Everything slowly grinds to a halt - and the DBA's would be the first to hit the pub!

3. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

When ever I have something powerful in my clipboard, when I've used it, I'll put it into a text file if I think I'll need it again.

Then I copy a single space to the clipboard.

I know how accident prone I am with mouse pasting, and if it's dangerous, I need to get it out of the clipboard before I fsck it up ;)

1. vtcodger Silver badge

An alternative to Ctrl-c

For years I've loaded the clipboard by marking the stuff I want there, cutting it to the clipboard (shift-del) then pasting it back (shift-ins). I'm pretty sure that I developed that because ctrl-C could do horrible things in MSDOS/Unix if the system state isn't what one believes it to be. Very rarely, the cut fails presumably because I've pressed a wrong key. In which case, I KNOW the clipboard didn't load properly because the stuff I want in the clipboard is still on my screen after the cut.

Would that practice have prevented this incident? Almost for sure. Is it always a good idea? I'm not so sure about that. There may be scenarios where something truly awful can happen. I haven't encountered one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

1. David Nash Silver badge

Re: An alternative to Ctrl-c

Cut instead of Copy doesn't work if the thing you are copying from is copyable but not editable (like a web page).

1. juice

> Cut instead of Copy doesn't work if the thing you are copying from is copyable but not editable (like a web page).

Sad but true.

Equally, copy-pasta on Linux can be a bit confusing. At least on a fairly vanilla Ubuntu install:

First, in a console/terminal, crtl-C traditionally means "send a STOP request". Instead, you have to use crtl-shift-C and ctrl-shift-V to copy and/or paste.

Secondly, most applications and web browsers (e.g. Chrome, Google Docs) support the use of crtl-C and crtl-V to copy and paste

Thirdly, you can also implicitly copy-paste things by selecting text in the terminal with your mouse and clicking the middle mouse button

Fourthly, the middle mouse button will also paste whatever's been selected by pressing crtl-C

This can lead to occasional fun, as you copy something from a web page[*] and try to paste it into a terminal via the mouse, only to accidentally click-select some text in the terminal. Which then replaces whatever's in the clipboard with the text from the terminal, which may well include a newline or two.

Hey presto: if you're not paying attention, the instant execution of whatever random text you copy-pasta'd. Best hope it's not anything too destructive...

[*] Hello, stackoverflow!

1. vtcodger Silver badge

Equally, copy-pasta on Linux can be a bit confusing. At least on a fairly vanilla Ubuntu install:

FWIW, Unix (actually X11) supports THREE different clipboards that no one can keep straight. They are called PRIMARY, SECONDARY and CLIPBOARD and each has different conventions. On top of which, Unix by default uses a "lazy" clipboard model where "copy" just claims ownership of the clipboard and no data is actually transferred unless/until a paste is requested. No wonder it's confusing

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Chloe Cresswell

Off topic - That's one of the reason I like JunOS so well. It doesn't matter what you paste into the command line, until you commit your new code nothing has changed and if you discover you pasted in something unintentional it's easy to rollback/exit out of.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Playing with "begin tran" doesn't help much if what's in the clipboard includes a commit or rollback :-)

I have to say that while I come from a CLI background I tend to either paste into a text file first and then execute that or into a GUI window which won't do anything until I click "execute".

Not that I'm claiming to be "holier than thou" but more that once bitten......

1. Tom Paine

+1 for a text editor, but can I get a shout out for always starting a line containing potentially dangeous commands with a couple of '#' characters.

One of the grizzled old veteran Unix admins who learned me a lot of what I think I know about it had a slightly annoying (at first) habit that after typing any command into a terminal, it took his hands off the keyboard and read it back through a couple of times before hitting RETURN. Saved a lot more time than it cost in the long run though.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

I also recommend

echo strange $collection of b{ash,oltons}

And proof-read the output. Or:

m -rf /

Proof-read and if I am certain press <home>r<enter>

1. keithpeter Silver badge
            Pint

Re: I also recommend

Upvote insufficient see icon

2. Down not across

+1 for a text editor, but can I get a shout out for always starting a line containing potentially dangeous commands with a couple of '#' characters.

Since this was SQL, you would need to use couple of '-' instead of '#'. Principle is sound however, as it at least gives you one more chance to check.

5. juice

Wouldn't have helped here

DROP TABLE is a DDL[*] command, so can't be rolled back.

And before anyone goes snarking on MySQL (which is usually a valid target TBF), it's the same in Oracle. To quote asktom (https://asktom.oracle.com/pls/apex/asktom.search?tag=ddl-rollback):

> Oracle Database issues an implicit commit before and after any DDL statement ... this means even if the DDL fails, the preceding DML is still committed

So you can end up with a right mess if you attempt to combine DDL and DML in a single transaction which has a failure partway through.

Interestingly, SQL Server appears to support transactional DDL commands. Dunno about Postgres, since it's virtual Monday and I've pretty much run out of energy and caffeine...

[*]DDL: Data Definition Language - essentially, commands which control the structure which holds the data. Unlike DML (Data Manipulation Language) which is used to query and/or change the data held within the structure

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Wouldn't have helped here

In Postgres DDL is transactional, since it is simply DML executed on system tables. That’s a proper database for you.

2. phuzz Silver badge

Can confirm that in SQL Server, you can rollback a DROP TABLE (as long as you've not committed obv).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Same on SAP ASE (Sybase as was) if you set the correct DB option.

3. Down not across

DROP TABLE is a DDL[*] command, so can't be rolled back.

And before anyone goes snarking on MySQL (which is usually a valid target TBF), it's the same in Oracle. To quote asktom (https://asktom.oracle.com/pls/apex/asktom.search?tag=ddl-rollback):

> Oracle Database issues an implicit commit before and after any DDL statement ... this means even if the DDL fails, the preceding DML is still committed

Recent versions of Oracle database might (depending on size of the table, amount of activity and the instance configuration) give you a way out with flashback to either effectively undo the drop, or query into a new table that you can then rename to the dropped table.

6. Kubla Cant

On most databases DDL such as DROP TABLE is not executed within a transaction, and can't be rolled back.

7. Richard Crossley
      Boffin

Not all RDBMS are the same

Some don't allow DDL inside a transaction.

Some commit the transaction once the DDL has been executed.

Probably best to have multiple levels of access:

1) Read only for "inspecting the data"

2) Read-Write for "modifying the data"

3) Read-Write-Destroy* for "altering the schema"

* Other adjectives are available, but given the nature of the story it seemed appropriate.

Just a thought, were the transaction logs available?

Was point-in-time recover available as an option?

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Always ALWAYS ALWAYS type START TRANSACTION before anything else on an interactive database shell console.

Always ALWAYS ALWAYS check you have not messed up before typing COMMIT.

All these years reading BOFH and they didn't pick up a *thing*. Sigh.

Obviously you start with Always ALWAYS ALWAYS making sure you have someone else to blame before you hack away at production systems. It's also much quicker than making a backup :)

9. John 104

How about:

Always ALWAYS at least look at the code you have pasted into your query before blindly executing it.

Seems pretty basic a thing to miss...

1. Carpet Deal 'em
        Facepalm

If there are newlines inside copy/pasted text, the shell will execute them as if you'd pressed enter yourself.

Seems pretty basic a thing to miss...

10. Down not across

Some operations may be non-logged, in which case your begin transaction will not help you.

11. teknopaul

Nothing will protect you from paste buffer full of valid commands.

I have been to this dark place: in CAT fortunately.

Empty buffer before logging on.

If on linux empty both buffers.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The CLI is not your friend, in such situations...

I prefer by far using GUI database tools which doesn't execute commands as soon as you past them because there are some CR and/or LF inside - and let me review everything before pressing the "run" button. CLI are OK to execute previously tested scripts for installs/upgrades, but require an extra layer of care when attempting to modify a database.

1. pAnoNymous

Re: The CLI is not your friend, in such situations...

Completely agree. Consoles are all techi but not reliable to use with the clipboard in my experience.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I have to use several different terminal emulators (...apparently) which have an inspiring array of different responses to copy-paste keystrokes or left and right mouse clicks. Such as right click = paste immediately. If you're expecting to drag-select text and then right-click to copy, the immediate paste comes as a disappointment.

If I overlooked someone mentioning "Write your destructive code so that it includes testing the condition that it is running where you intended it to run, before performing the destruction" - i.e. test server name, directory name, etc - then, excuse me. And anyway it's usually too much trouble, unless you can automate that.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Write your destructive code so that it includes testing the condition that it is running where you intended it to run, before performing the destruction"

Which is another reason for doing it in a script. First write a SELECT* using the WHERE and HAVING clauses and run that. Only once your sure it returned what you expected do you edit that to the UPDATE or DELETE you intended. With a BEGIN at the front, of course.

*Just getting a count might be sufficient.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you want to be sure, stick it in a text file and run

psql db -f file.sql

Although I tend to just use transactions when doing this sort of thing in production.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Exactly that, or isql -Uxxxx -f filename

That way you've also got a file which is part of the record of what you did.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

There are lots of situations where you might not be able to use a GUI. The alarm bells should start ringing here with:

ssh production.system
      Firstly, this kind of action on a production system should always go through some kind of tested code. It says there was more or less no admin interface, which tells us a lot about the company and the team. In any case, it does not take long to knock up the relevant SQL for this kind of thing and test it a bit.

Secondly, with different users you can prevent the data update user from trashing the structure by not giving it the permissions to do so.

But I'm not going to pretend I'm perfect and I that I haven't made mistakes even production systems.

4. disgruntled yank

Oh?

Years ago, some co-workers found an important table repeatedly disappearing. I suspected a big green button on the TOAD GUI, though they swore that no, they weren't hitting it. I ended up writing a database trigger that would raise an error if one tried to drop certain tables.

5. Down not across

I prefer by far using GUI database tools which doesn't execute commands as soon as you past them because there are some CR and/or LF inside - and let me review everything before pressing the "run" button.

Most databases don't execute on CR/LF, but require an end of statement like ';'. '/' or 'go' or something similar.

6. Dan 55 Silver badge
  7. imanidiot Silver badge

Not an IT guy but..

Wouldn't it have been safer to make a small script that did this modification offline first, then run this? Also useful for future modifications. The only time you should be directly working on a live system (any sort, be it IT or something more hammer-able) is if there is absolutely no other way to prepare the work beforehand.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not an IT guy but..

The easiest way is to use a transaction, which prevents writing data until you're satisfied. Eg in postgresql:

BEGIN; -- starts the transaction

DROP TABLE all_the_things; -- oops, that's not what I meant

ROLLBACK; -- phew, I'm in a transaction ( or COMMIT if you didn't screw up )

Of course a script would be a more permanent solution, but sometimes you just have to run SQL on the production server.

Another solution is to write the query to a text file on the server, then: psql < file.sql

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I suspect he was using a certain database beginning with "O" and ending with Larry Ellison's yacht, where things like "truncate table" and "Drop table" are executed immediately regardless of transation status.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Urgh, Mysql does that too. Or at least used to.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Of course a script would be a more permanent solution, but sometimes you just have to run SQL on the production server."

In which case you do it in a script. It doesn't have to be a permanently saved. Your script starts with BEGIN TRANSACTION. You run the script then - and only then - your type your COMMIT.

It's a production database, belt and braces are not amiss.

2. veti Silver badge

Yes, but copying and pasting too much of your offline console would screw you up anyway. Even with a transaction.

What boggles my mind is the thought of a console that executes commands the moment they're entered, without waiting for the user to click 'run' or press F5 or whatever.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

I will have executed each separate statement as they were terminated. Multi line statements usually work this way.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's what the semicolon is for.

1. DJ Smiley

When you're writing stuff into a notepad file; do you not hit return; but instead just keep using; the poor semicolon; because return is too much hard work?

Didn't think so.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Paris Hilton

eh? what?

3. Kubla Cant

What boggles my mind is the thought of a console that executes commands the moment they're entered, without waiting for the user to click 'run' or press F5 or whatever.

That's what consoles do. If it's a console rather than some kind of GUI there won't be anything to click, and function keys probably won't do anything. This is so you can use them in a plain-vanilla terminal.

That said, some databases distinguish between the statement terminator (usually ';') and the action command (e.g. '/' at the start of a line in the appalling SQL*Plus or, IIRC, '/g' in MySQL). But that wouldn't help in the present case as the paste buffer would probably contain the action commands too.

3. hmv

Yes.

Or if you're dealing with something that cannot deal with scripts, then paste in lines one by one. And use one of those gooey tools that lets you see what's in the paste buffer.

8. petethebloke

All the helpful comments/suggestions above make me think my father has come back to life.

Dad - don't tell me you never made a fook-up, because I remember the trip to A+E after the knife-in-artery incident.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The helpful comments and suggestions are by people such as myself who have either committed or witnessed these acts of accidental sabotage in the past.

Experience is worth money partly because you've gotten your fuckups out of the way on a different employer.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all gone a bit Pete Tong!

Did a similar thing with PIX firewalls many many moons ago which left me imagining my career disappear before my eyes..

I had only been with the company a few week and was working on "baby's first change" back in the days when change control was but a gleam in the CIO's eye. I'd been familiarising myself with the company firewalls that day when the clock ticked 6pm.. One change and it was beer o clock.. Yippee!!

I started the "it's only a one line change" beloved of coders and network engineers alike:

* Prepped the change in notepad as you did (It WAS a while ago), CHECK

* Past 18:00 ?? CHECK

* Are you logged into the prod firewall? CHECK

* conf t CHECK

* Ctrl-C the change and Ctrl-V into putty ERMM

Shit me, that's a lot of text.. Then the sickening realisation dawned (or more accurately smacked me over the head) that I'd fat fingered the Ctrl-C and pasted the interface and routing portion of the office PIX on top of the prod firewall, which promptly displayed its disgust by dropping offline, along with the whole datacentre !

There was I sitting in the office on the other side of the city from the DC with that sickly grin plastered across my face which only emerges when you've done something terminally stupid. My boss saw my face turn bright red roughly the same time our NMS did, and rushed over to my desk expecting the worst. He wasn't to be disappointed.

As I stuttered out what I thought I'd done, with the expectation I'd have to jump on the motorbike and dash through the rush hour traffic to the DC he told me we had someone on-site working in one of the patching cabs and to ring them asap. A couple of minutes later and after convincing him that no, I wasn't insane and yes, I really did want him to powercycle the main firewall cluster he pulled the plug and the longest five minutes pix reboot cycle of my life started.

Once we saw the firewall come back up and SNMPc took on it usual green hue, my boss hovered as I waited for my heart rate to subside and then made me do the original change again (correctly this time) with him looking over my shoulder.

Guess who paid for the sherbets that night down the local ?

The takeaway from that was to paste what you'd just copied back on top of itself before you pasted onto a live device. You should just see the text select disappear and that was the confirmation that there was nothing job threatening lurking in the paste buffer. Oh, and also to make sure you worked for a human being who realised that occasionally people fuck up, and all we could realistically do was to learn from said fuckups so we never made the same one again !

I've done a few other fuckups since then (all in the same company, they must be masochists) but that was the closest I've come to ever shitting myself that didn't involve a skinful or a dodgy ruby.

Re: It's all gone a bit Pete Tong!

"He wasn't to be disappointed."

Well played, sir. Our very own Simon couldn't have done it better.

2. tip pc Silver badge

reload in 10 and also paste into a different notepad and compare.

i really don't know why cisco don't do something like junipers commit confirmed where it auto rolls back after a few mins if you've not confirmed your happy with the change. certainly quicker than waiting for a reload.

1. bmhughes

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/config-mgmt/configuration/15-sy/config-mgmt-15-sy-book/cm-config-rollback.html

https://packetpushers.net/cisco-configuration-archive-rollback-using-revert-instead-of-reload/

It's been in there since 12.2.somthing.

10. brotherelf

And this is …

… why a seasoned admin has a spare pair of underbriefs in the bottom drawer. Because you can always be smarter than you were yesterday, but you won't always be as smart as you'll be tomorrow.

My commiserations to Sid, that must've been a very exciting day.

11. HobartTas

Limited vocabulary?

One thing I hate is to destroy a ZFS snapshot the command is 'zfs destroy tank@snapname" whereas to destroy the pool itself is "zpool destroy tank" so it could be really easy to make a very bad mistake given the pool one is immediate without any warnings issued and I don't know if you included the snapshot name to the zpool command whether or not it would still work but probably not because the syntax wouldn't be correct but you can just imaging some bad cut and paste job could potentially be executed by accident, I have no idea why the original ZFS authors didn't chose a synonym for one of them instead and I probably would have preferred changing the pool one to something like "obliterate" given the level of damage it could do, surely the American ZFS designers have access to the full range of words in the English language much as anyone else does.

1. CAPS LOCK

"zpool destroy tank"

You'd think people who worked with a system where an accidental space[1] can mean doom would know better. Still all-in-all ZFS is my preferred file system.

[1] # rm -rf *.tmp

vs

# rm -rf * .tmp

12. NATTtrash
    Pint

Shortcut curious...

I notice a lot of people around me use CTRL+V and CTRL+C. Then again, my muscle memory always seem to go towards CTRL+INS SHIFT+INS. Had a discussion about that once (in the pub, where else) with an admin who was positive that the short cut people use are an indication of their "computer birth", a result of the system they first started on. Now, I started on VAX terminal, nothing fancy, just WordStar then, but for the love of God can't remember whether I picked it up there. Then again, it makes you wonder... I think we came to a conclusion, but can't remember any more what it was (I did say it was in the pub, right?)

1. SWCD

Re: Shortcut curious...

Don't mind a bit of CTRL/SHIFT-INS - and there are certain places a CTRL-V won't work for paste, but a SHIFT-INS does (Can't think of an example off the top of my head, the odd password box I come across though) CTRL-C/V now strongly ingrained, just easier as my left hand is over that way anyway while the right one is on the mouse :-)

Many will remember another "computer birth" indicator - how you'd reply to an email or a Usenet post. For years I'd dutifully bottom-post, ignoring those newer to the medium who'd ask why and that it made no sense. I can't remember the last time I exchanged an email with a bottom-poster now.. Top-posting won, largely due to the default reply setting on Outlook! :-)

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Never

> When is it acceptable to top post?

1. ArrZarr Silver badge
          Trollface

> Never

> > When is it acceptable to top post?

I see what you did there.

Sig I once saw (and sometimes use myself):

the flow

breaks up

Top posting

I still always quote and post: who wants the punchline before the joke?

Interestingly, some colleagues are increasingly top-posting in Outlook but announcing at the top that they're answering inline. I think this has something to do with the fact that you can really quote and post properly in Outlook.

3. Richard Crossley
        Boffin

CTRL-DEL, CTRL-INS and SHIFT-INS was IBM's Common User Access

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Common_User_Access

Yes I still use it.

My birth computer was "use the cursor keys to find the text on the screen you want to copy on to the command line and press the COPY button to the copy the characters and edit as necessary"

DOS and OS/2 used CTRL+INS and SHIFT+INS – that's what the DEL and INS keys are on the keyboard for. The DOS box in Windows supported them for a while then MS disabled them and made us do everything via the menu. Reasonably pleased to see in Windows 10 that keyboard shortcuts (of whatever flavour) have returned.

I also seem to recall there was quite a hoohah when Microsoft decided to repurpose CTRL + C for copying when they brought Windows out.

13. DJ Smiley

Just last week (thank god for 3 day weekend allowing me to slightly forget) I was debugging a quick script I'd be writing up, which kept choking on a password I was pasting in (yes, horrible copying and pasting passwords but 'reasons').

In the end I sighed, gave in and started to echo back what I was pasting in. It seems for some odd reason, it was only actually being received successfully 1/3rd of the times, the other times it only ever showed the line ending. Very weird, but satisfying to find once the proper solution (i..e no more copy pasting passwords) that it'd work correctly, all the time.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

As a guess, non-echo password input is often done as non-buffered I/O, and the paste "types" the characters too fast for the unbuffered input to keep up. Used to be a problem on physical terminals without typeahead, it's rare to see it on a software terminal nowadays.

1. mdubash

Occasionally still see it on browser password fields, believe it or not. Keepass (my preferred password manager) types in passwords as fast as it can normally, but for one or two sites, I haveto insert a delay between characters or the (presumably) validaiton routine throws a wobbly. In this day n age too...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Little Bobby Drop tables

Yeah work on live system and expect maximum domage. Better to have editor or reader account for most stuff and separate admin accounts validated with sudo or equal audit control. U lern the hard way when ppl mess up dey don't fess up :-P

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Paste Back On Top

The comments here almost amount to a guide to database administration, which is a tribute to those contributing.

One pearl, (due to AC/Pete Tong) with wide applicability is to paste what you (think you've) just copied back on top of itself before trying to paste it elsewhere. If necessary, hit Ctrl-Z and try again.

This turned into a habit for me whilst using an aging keyboard, which I was too lazy to replace. Eventually I did replace it but the habit had taken root and proved itself useful, along with (eventually) developing a perpetual awareness of how much work I'd done since the last save.

16. magickmark
    Trollface

Bobby Tables

We all know the story of Little Bobby Tables via xkcd but it now seems he even has his own website!!

https://bobby-tables.com/

1. andy 103

Re: Bobby Tables

The xkcd sketch for Bobby Drop Tables is about SQL injection, which has nothing to do with this article.

1. tim 13

Apart from the drop tables command.

2. magickmark

To quote.....

And so Sid logged into the database cluster over SSH, fired up the database client and started typing the update command. He copied the chap's email and pasted it into the console.

"To my horror a huge amount of text appeared and the admin console dutifully executed it."

As it happened, just before he was asked to update the email, Sid had been working on the main database creation scripts for the staging server.

"My clipboard was full of 'drop table' commands."

For some reason, Sid's attempt to copy the address had failed and he had, of course, pasted the drop table commands directly into the live database

17. This post has been deleted by its author

18. Lee D Silver badge

1) "We don't need no steenking backups!" - Sacked. Get out.

2) Log in as full privilege user to update a minor database table. Sacked. Get out.

3) Doesn't even bother to do it in a transaction that you could, probably, roll back. Sacked. Get out.

4) If pasting to a remote SSH session, doesn't just edit a file and paste into there (because if that string had anything in it, you could have ended up quitting out of the SQL shell and executing all kinds of stuff! It's easy to paste something with a handful of line returns, but quite hard to paste something that'll Ctrl-X you out of an editor, though). Sacked. Get out.

5) Executing SQL live on a production system underneath the application without prior testing on the staging system he admits he was working on! Sacked. Get out.

The excuse of "Oh this was before the days..." ... so pathetic. What you going to do? Roll back an in-production social network main database server via a Hyper-V checkpoint and "just forget" about all the transactions that occurred on it after the checkpoint but before it was rolled back?

Seriously, this is just people who have a habit of working dangerously around production systems and think it's funny. I use everything I can to make sure I don't mess up - checkpoints to backups to replicas to saving the table contents first to every privilege separation possible to literal-typing (prone to errors but you double/triple-check) to safety-hash (Putting a # before any dangerous command that you're tinkering with so you don't automatically execute it... SQL equivalent is "SELECT" until you're happy and THEN "UPDATE"), to literally never deleting a file in my professional life (rename / move it out of the way, sure, but why delete?). And sometimes there are still gulp moments.

These kinds of people are exactly why I do tight permissioning and delegating on admin functions, filesystems, table and database security, etc. My technicians have always hated it (having to ask to do certain things, and only getting a permanent permission granted once they'd proved themselves and acquired the same habits) right up to the moment that it saves their backside ("Thank God, I only had write permissions to that one table!").

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Can't work with others? Sacked. Get out.

19. matthewdjb

One weekend we were doing a system upgrade. I was told I'd be called Saturday to do my task; dropping an index of the general ledger, running some task, reinstating the index.

I didn't get the call.

Sunday at about 8pm, and after a couple of bottles of wine, the call came. I explained the deal was that the call me Saturday. Today is Sunday and I'm pissed.

I think the guy at the other end of phone was maybe a yank, as he persuaded me, eventually, to do my part.

I came within a "confirm y/n" of dropping the table rather than the index..

1. cdrcat

> Today is Sunday and I'm pissed

What is it called when a sentence makes sense in two different languages, but the meaning is very different in the two languages?

20. steviebuk Silver badge

Disappointing ending

I was looking forward to reading that all day. Kept getting interrupted so couldn't. Then ended with no real ending. Even if the ending was boring as in "We recovered the database from last nights backup" it still would of felt like an ending.

21. gnarlymarley

Sid's attempt to copy the address had failed

This is what happens when you wear out your ctrl key. It becomes intermittent.

22. arctic_haze

The moral?

This is what you get when you offer people an alpha version of your software as the final product.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like