1. nichomach

Firefox add-ons...

So...anyone else been hit with all their add-ons being disabled in Firefox because of the certificate expiry problem?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Firefox add-ons...

Yep. Lots of people, in various places. I'm one of them. See e.g.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/firefox-addons-being-disabled-due-to-an-expired-certificate/

I'd forgotten just how ad-infested the Interweb (including El Reg) has been for the last few years. And very boring ads they are here too.

Fwiw, I'd be willing to pay (a bit) to get rid of them. But most places don't offer me that option, and anyway that's a different story for a different day..

I was planning to resurrect my Pi-Hole which has been collecting dust since I moved house. It's now become quite urgent.

Even more amusingly (?), I was finally going to get around to using LastPass (too many passwords, they can't all be staple_correct_horse_to_battery or similar). An article I was reading elsewhere mentioned that LastPass was also affected by the Firefox certificate issue. The article was of course accompanied by a "specially selected" advert for LastPass.

Oh dear. Bit of a fail all round.

2. jake Silver badge

Temporary work-arounds include either setting your system clock back (not recommended for a lot of reasons) or going into about:config and changing xpinstall.signatures.required to false, which could potentially be dangerous, especially if you routinely browse the 'net's ugly underbelly.

In theory, the fine folks at Mozilla will have a fix rolled out shortly, so if you choose either of the above two options, try setting things back to normal in a while. (This afternoon? Tonight? Tomorrow? Next Tuesday? I dunno. Neither does anybody else.)

Stay safe out there!

1. jake Silver badge

If you run the ESR version, Mozilla has released 60.6.2-esr that fixes the problem. If you don' t run the ESR, I have no idea. Slackware has updates, check your own distro of choice as needed.

Don't forget to change xpinstall.signatures.required back to true if you changed that setting. Likewise for your system clock setting.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"66.0.4

Firefox Release

May 5, 2019

Version 66.0.4, first offered to Release channel users on May 5, 2019"

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05/04/update-regarding-add-ons-in-firefox/#summary

Annnnnnnddddd....

relax?

[not that I've tried it personally yet but...]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon