back to article Great disturbance in the Force as Star Wars' 'big walking carpet' is laid to rest

Peter Mayhew, the actor best known for playing Chewbacca in the Star Wars films, has died aged 74. His family said in a statement: "The family of Peter Mayhew, with deep love and sadness, regrets to share the news that Peter has passed away. He left us the evening of April 30, 2019 with his family by his side in his North …

1. PhilipN Silver badge

RIP Peter

Left a permanent legacy without any dialogue and doing almost nothing but by just being there.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Re: RIP Peter

Fun fact: He had spoken lines that were dubbed over afterwards. Peter's voice coming out of Chewie's face always gives me a laugh.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

As did Dave Prowse. I always liked the idea of a West-Country Vader. Darth Cider if you will...

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge

& that's exactly why & how JEJ got the overdub gig.

RIP Pete\Chewie.

https://pics.me.me/hewbacca-growls-really-youre-cold-oh-dauntlesssubconscious-one-of-the-22904809.png

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

& that's exactly why & how JEJ got the overdub gig.

And it's amusing to be at the local quick-mart and hear Darth Vader's voice drifting over from the next aisle... (or casually waving hello to a familiar face in town, then realize JEJ would have no idea who this weirdo waving hello is).

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Thanks!

I used to maintain mail lists, one fan had WillSomebodyGetThisBigWalkingCarpetOutOfMyWay@ some provider. Always made me smile ;-}

3. 0laf
    Alien

He always came across as someone who was just delighted to be involved in the whole star wars thing. I never saw him as anything but ethusiastic and loyal to the franchise. He did look frail for the last few decades really. I never met him but he came across as a nice chap RIP.

4. iron Silver badge

RIP Peter.

I'm wearing my 'The Good, The Bad and The Wookie' T-shirt today out of respect.

1. Trollslayer
  5. andy gibson

I hope the next Star Wars related headline I read on Monday is "The Peter Mayhew Foundation receives over £1 million in donations from grateful Star Wars fans"

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

I would hope for a billion.

6. Aqua Marina
    Alien

"Rwaaaaaaaaar".

7. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Kashyyyk mourns.

8. David Robinson 1

*Pours some blue milk onto the ground*

9. Gobhicks

Not sure about the spelling but...

Hhhweaaaooooo :(

10. Jay Lenovo
    Angel

Instead of cars, why not legends?

And soon his remains will ride out on a SpaceX rocket out into a galaxy far.. far.. away...

What.. the last one just blew up? It must have been a faulty hyper-drive.

11. roytrubshaw

The first rule of life ...

Let the Wookie win!

12. arctic_haze

Rest in peace, Peter

Chewie, your great masterpiece, will live on.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Noooooo! That's not True! That's impossible!

Oh Peter Mayhew?

I'll be drinking a glass or two tonight to the now giant blue semi-transparent force-based fuzzball who is probably laughing it up and pulling the arms and legs of a droid or two that didn't let him win at space chess right now.

On a serious note, Star Wars is "my" movie(s). Princess Leia, R2D2 now Chewie. I think I've reached that point in my life where the heroes of the best films ever I grew up with are all keeling over, meaning I'll probably be coming up for my final run on the death star trench sooner rather than later.

14. DJV Silver badge

Sad news

RIP Peter.

However, I do notice that so many people are noted as having died "with their family by their side". So, I think I'm going to avoid having my family by my side as much as possible in the future as it seems to be a major cause of death!

15. deadlockvictim

Star Wars Holiday Special Cinema Release

This seems as good a time as any for a full-screen, cinema release of the rare and unforgetable 'Star Wars Holiday Special'.

Or should one not speak ill of the dead?

1. Swarthy
      Trollface

Re: Star Wars Holiday Special Cinema Release

Did you say "unforgettable" or "unforgivable"?

16. SonOfDilbert
    Pint

Legacy

What a legacy to leave.

R. I. P.

http://amatranscripts.com/ama/peter_mayhew_2013-09-01.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon