back to article Come friendly bit barns and fall on Slough: Equinix opens £90m data centre in London rust belt

Equinix has opened a £90m colocation facility in godforsaken Slough – its ninth around Greater London and 12th in the UK. The flagship bit barn, codenamed LD7, offers space for 1,750 server cabinets immediately, and will be expanded to 2,625 cabinets at some point in the future, the company said. The data centre is located in …

1. Flywheel
    Unhappy

Short-sighted IMHO

Why not move it/them further North? Everything (including land) is generally cheaper and we do actually have fast ADSL as well as motorways that don't generally resemble car parks.

1. DailyLlama

Re: Short-sighted IMHO

And it's colder oop north, so it won't cost as much to cool them!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Most of the trans-Atlantic fiber routes are close to Slough. That being said, I think there's a good case for moving some of this stuff elsewhere, and Manchester looks like a good place.

1. Thunderpants

Manchester yes. Runcorn ... no :)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Latency

London financial customers wanting fast access from London and New York.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

London financial customers wanting fast access from London and New York.

Great Circles being what they are, isn't Manchester closer to NY than Slough is?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Manchester is probably closer, but transatlantic fibre routes (i.e. TAT) would be the deciding factor.

Plus the equipment/fibre that is traversed often leads to more latency than the distance - you can get sub-60ms NYC-Slough for a premium via Equinix vs 80-100ms for more traditional transatlantic connections (i.e. Verizon with an SLA of sub-90ms). Verizon will be via Cornwall vs Equinix via Cork, Ireland.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Traffic Latency in Slough

Not sure if it is still the case, but traffic on the Bath Road in Slough is/was famously managed by linked traffic signals. Keep your speed at 30 mph and sail through.

2. Jay 2

The BATS/CHIX/CBOE exchnage has its kit there (LD4 I think), so if you want to trade with them, then being more-or-less next door is the place to be for zippy access.

4. sal II

In many cases London based companies have their main DC around London, then if they want low latency DR for stuff like synchronous SAN replication or stretch clusters you can't go much further than 50-100 miles, so further north is not always an option.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

If you want DR that works, having five data centres in the same town is also probably not an option.

2. Dippywood

Slough - Greater London?

I think not! Greater London. Slough doth reside in Berkshire...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Slough - Greater London?

Berkshire? really? a whole county full of berks?

1. Alister

Erm, that's Berkshire... pronounced Barkshire.

Re: Erm, that's Berkshire...

Not to be confused with Berkshire Hathaway. Which is not to be confused with where Shakespeare's wife (Anne Hathaway) lived (Stratford upon Avon), which is not to be confused with the other Stratford where Westfield is in East London, which is not to be confused with the Westfield in Shepherds Bush which is in West London. HTH.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: Erm, that's Berkshire...

And of course West London should not be confused with East London, which is in South Africa, where the coelacanth was first discovered, in the late '30s, about the same time as John Betjeman wrote "Slough".

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You forgot the prefix...

"The Royal County of ..."

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. John H Woods Silver badge

To be pedantic, berks are named, cockney rhyming style, after the Berkeley Hunt. Which, I believe, is in Gloucestershire.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Non-rural parts of Berkshire are really just pretty much the further out suburbs of London these days, however.

I mean, they'll be on the Underground (well, not the Underground as such, but underground) any month/year now before you know it! ;-)

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Slough – the unofficial bit barn capital of the UK, hosting more data centres than any other place in the country"

Just think of what you could do with one well badly placed back-hoe.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Back Hoe?

oh you mean JCB...

An errant 747 could well do more damage especially as Slough is close to the flightpath into Heathrow (North Runway landing towards the East)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Back Hoe?

"An errant 747 could well do more damage especially as Slough"

I doubt very much that any large aircraft could damage Slough. Improve....yes....

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Fair enough but it wouldn't improve the DCs.

I haven't been near Slough for decades. Do they still have the stuffed dog at the station?

1. Arty Effem

Don't know about the dog, but I have it on good authority it's just got a new floor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwMK2ywRF78

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Now, a previous life tells me that Equinix has (or at least had) bit barn on the A4 as it passes Heathrow - the margin of error decreases...

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
          Happy

Re: A4 Datacentre

Is that by any chance the old BT one that is next to the Detention Centre?

I spent many an hour in there getting an Amdhal and an IBM to talk to each other.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You would think spending 82m on LD10 they would provide more than 3 toilets...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You would think for spending 82m on LD10 they would at-least provide more than 3 toilets to use.

6. Splodge-Moo

hardly news though, considering Equinix already have at least 4 (maybe be more) DCs in Slough, although they do refer to them as being "London"

1. Flywheel

Somewhat like "London Luton Airport"..

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Thumb Down

I'm guessing that the "LD" in the names is supposed to stand for 'London', although having spent some time in Slough, I'd have gone with 'SH7'. (I'll give you a hint, the H stands for 'hole')

7. bsdnazz

Where?

You do know the pin is in Windsor?

8. Dave559 Silver badge

Rust belt?

Sluff, I mean Slough, might be well known for its picturesque charms, but "rust belt"?

The so-called M4 Corridor (being the GWML corridor helps just as much) is one of the most prosperous parts of the UK, with an enormous (and, dare I say it, disproportionately large, tech presence) thanks to its proximity to London, and, equally as much, London Heathrow Airport. Unless you count the former Swindon Railway Works, it wasn't really an area formerly reliant on heavy industries.

The sad thing is that it is the actual rust belt areas of the English Midlands and North, Wales, and Scotland, that do really need similar levels of investment (and training opportunities) to bring good quality jobs to the real post-industrial parts of the UK.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Re: Rust belt?

There have been a few suggestions to move Britain's capital to Manchester, along with all the pols, bureaucrats and "quangos". However, I cannot guarantee that would not reinforce any prevailing sense of frustration, decay and hopelessness in the Midlands.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: Rust belt?

Well, maybe spinning rust belt

9. Arty Effem

It'll still be cheaper to rent a server in France.

10. Roj Blake Silver badge

Culture

Love the Betjemen reference in the headline.

For those unfamiliar with the original...

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!

It isn’t fit for humans now,

There isn’t grass to graze a cow.

Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens

Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,

Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,

Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town-

A house for ninety-seven down

And once a week a half a crown

For twenty years.

And get that man with double chin

Who’ll always cheat and always win,

Who washes his repulsive skin

In women’s tears:

And smash his desk of polished oak

And smash his hands so used to stroke

And stop his boring dirty joke

And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add

The profits of the stinking cad;

It’s not their fault that they are mad,

They’ve tasted Hell.

It’s not their fault they do not know

The birdsong from the radio,

It’s not their fault they often go

To Maidenhead

And talk of sport and makes of cars

In various bogus-Tudor bars

And daren’t look up and see the stars

But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care

Their wives frizz out peroxide hair

And dry it in synthetic air

And paint their nails.

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough

To get it ready for the plough.

The cabbages are coming now;

The earth exhales.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: Culture

As ringleader, tom-boy and chum to the weak I do appreciate old lights for new chancels.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not Staines?

Massiiiiiiiiive!

Re: Not Staines?

"Staines Removal Company" could be fit for inclusion here...

https://worldwideinterweb.com/unfortunate-business-names-ever/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like