back to article OVH pulls gloves off bare metal fighters as it eyes up US cloud vendors

French hosting and web services slinger OVH has squeezed out shiny new bare metal machines in its European data centres. The HG line is for data hungry workloads used by enterprise and academia punters, and the Rise range is for small businesses. Both are available in OVH bit barns in France, Germany, Poland and the UK. The …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

mmmm, OVH cheap but shit

OVH are useless, unless your a hacker looking for a server you can use for free...

about 8 out of ten attacks reported by fail2ban resolve back to a OVH IP address.

When I could be bothered to report it to abuse address and others, I never ever got even a simple response...

I now have huge blocks of OVH routed to NULL

1. Detective Emil
      Holmes

Re: mmmm, OVH cheap but shit

Too true: The sites I manage get more crack attempts from OVH ranges than from any other second-tier provider. Or first-tier provider, for that matter. Act-clean-up required.

2. Vometia Munro Silver badge

Well yeah. I've long since concluded that OVH's main business is hammering websites for the same Wordpress exploits and hammering SMTP servers with AUTH attacks, even when the previous eleventy billion attempts have demonstrated that WP and SMTP AUTH aren't a thing. Bloody OVH.

3. Victor Ludorum

It's not just OVH, I see attacks from Digitalocean, EC2/AWS, .RU and .CN as well. I guess that's the downside of cloud providers with cheap/free products, lots of inexperienced people spin up insecure instances which then get hacked by bots which attack other instances looking for weaknesses. I got hit when someone (with a .CN ip address) got into my machine using a dictionary attack on a non-standard SSH port. I forgot to set up fail2ban... Lessons were learnt!

4. Peter X

Not just me then?! :D

iptables -A badbot-ovh -s 51.254.0.0/15 -j DROP

iptables -A badbot-ovh -s 54.36.0.0/16 -j DROP

iptables -A badbot-ovh -s 54.37.0.0/16 -j DROP

iptables -A badbot-ovh -s 66.70.128.0/17 -j DROP

iptables -A badbot-ovh -s 79.137.64.0/18 -j DROP

iptables -A badbot-ovh -s 87.98.128.0/17 -j DROP

iptables -A badbot-ovh -s 94.23.0.0/16 -j DROP

iptables -A badbot-ovh -s 144.217.0.0/16 -j DROP

iptables -A badbot-ovh -s 158.69.0.0/16 -j DROP

iptables -A badbot-ovh -s 167.114.0.0/16 -j DROP

iptables -A badbot-ovh -s 176.31.0.0/16 -j DROP

iptables -A badbot-ovh -s 178.32.0.0/15 -j DROP

iptables -A badbot-ovh -s 192.99.0.0/16 -j DROP

iptables -A badbot-ovh -s 198.27.64.0/18 -j DROP

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like