back to article A copy-paste of Europe and a '5G' hotel: El Reg's Adventures in Huawei Land were fairly wacky

The Register paid a visit to Huawei's HQ in Dongguan, China, to find Europe in miniature along with a "5G" hotel that was, er, pretty much what we expected. The 5G hotel that wasn't A buzzword bingo card needs to be handed out at check-in to Huawei and the Intercontinental Shenzhen's 5G Smart Hotel. The eye-wateringly …

1. Semtex451

Nebulous Long Term Evolution

Is this not more of a Bootnote than a Business story?

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Mushroom

Funny as I read that as "Windscale" to represent Blighty

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Mushroom

That would be headquarters of a Chinese company wanting a share of the UK Nuclear pie

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disney land but with eyes and ears, talk in whispers with the shower on and the curtain drawn.

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

Disney land but with eyes and ears, talk in whispers with the shower on and the curtain drawn.

Still sounds like Disney land to me

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hope you threw away your laptop and phone as you boarded your flight home.

5. spold Silver badge
    Facepalm

Ummm - guess someone fell asleep...

The new HQ campus visited is in Dongguan, not Shenzhen (about 80km north of Shenzhen). The current HQ campus being in the Bantian, Longgang District suburb of Shenzhen. Not sure if senior management will uproot and move, perhaps they just don't want visitors annoying their ducks on the lake any longer.

Did someone fall asleep on the bus from Hong Kong? I know it is a long journey and the free booze in business can take its toll after 12-15 hours in the air.

1. spold Silver badge

Re: Ummm - guess someone fell asleep...

Shame on you for downvoting the factual error - which has now been corrected incidentally.

And the existing Shenzhen campus does have swans and coi carp in the artificial lake outside A complex building 1 where the senior management live. It is also disturbingly outside the main A complex food canteen.

Flights from North America and Europe are around 12-15 hours to HK. Shenzhen airport isn't something you would consider. Traffic is abysmal across the border and beyond. The whole thing made barely tolerable by the lashings of wobbly ginger beer served in business class. On no account go economy unless you have been shrink-wrapped and sedated.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Re: Ummm - guess someone fell asleep...

Tch! Tch! Spreading knowledge about (a tiny part of) China, when many (including or even especially those who know Harrods now has Putonghua-speaking shop assistants) prefer the wishful thinking of China as the Fairy Kingdom where be dragons. Better to leave them (with no apologies for another gratuitous archetype) to their whippets and brass bands.

6. Blockchain commentard
    Facepalm

What?

No comments liking Huawei to a famous Disney rodent company?

7. phuzz Silver badge

"A 7.8km railway, with trains modelled on Swiss locomotives, takes staffers from location to location."

Well, that makes a lot more sense than copying British ones.

8. BigSLitleP

Other British city names they coudl use

Instead of Oxford, how about Cambridge? Sounds like a good, quality, secure name...... someone should use it for a company.

How about Salisbury, could be a nod to their Russian friends?

Cheltenham? They could cover it in bright lights and call it a secret facility.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: Other British city names they coudl use

2 in 1 - A doughnut shaped mobile phone factory?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

5G TV showing 4K movies

But... what happened to my favourite 5G 4K 3D TV wearable butt plugs?! So sad!:(

1. spold Silver badge

Re: 5G TV showing 4K movies

They are part of the virtual reality experience - apparently it is very lifelike

10. SVV

customers will get to enjoy "continuous indoor and outdoor 5G coverage".

Is that "coverage for them" or "coverage of them"?

11. Chris Miller

It is also notable for a socking great galleon stuck on its roof.

Literally every Spanish hotel I've stayed in has had one of those.

1. Mark 85
      Pirate

Are they there for decoration or for defense of the property? Enquiring minds and all that....

12. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I thought you was

taking the piss about a galleon on the roof.

And then I found a photo of the thing. Hey nonny nonny and all that. Still, whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Cheers… Ishy

https://ihg.scene7.com/is/image/ihg/intercontinental-shenzhen-5276437247-2x1?fit=fit,1&wid=2880&hei=1440&qlt=85,0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1.75,0.9,2,0

13. spold Silver badge

Disney...

Interestingly not that dissimilar in concept to Overseas Chinese Town (OCT) Window on the World park in downtown Shenzhen (sometimes translated as Window of the World, or Window to the World) a disney-esk park of world locations including a slightly smaller Eiffel tower etc.

Now OCT owns chinese hotels and other crappy tourist parks but is also a state-owned enterprise! It does have some interesting presences in offshore financial locations.

Conspiracy theorists will have fun with the state-owned thing and whether the new HQ design was hacked from a Cisco router belonging to Disney.

14. GrapeBunch
    Coat

My next hit song will include these lyrics: "Let me lay, let me lay my Huawei down".

Mine's the one with bhuaweiootiful music in the pocket.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We mock but...

The US visits the rest of the world and comes back with a reduced scale amusement park.

China visits the rest of the world and comes back with a full scale engineering centre.

It's possible to be amusing at the expense of Disney (like the lengths they go to to hide their queues and the way the staff are programmed) and it is obviously possible to be amusing at the expense of Huawei. But when it comes to which one is most likely to succeed at world domination, my money is no longer on the mouse.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

"which one is most likely to succeed at world domination, my money is no longer"

Why? Disney now has the copyright on the Death Star...

16. TheRealRoland
    Holmes

I would not be surprised...

if there are one-way mirrors in each room to observe how the "guest" is operating all the gear during his or her stay.

17. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Bond 25

Product placement opportunities galore for Huawei.

Bond inside MI6 HQ, banks of computers/comms gear emblazoned with Huawei logo, Bond using a Huawei mobile - subliminal re-enforcement of the brand - If Bond, defender of the Queen's Corgies can trust Huawei, then so can we

Icon - Pussy Galore

18. David Glasgow

Windermere?

A single storey stone cottage where brilliant innovations and ideas are promoted by repeatedly smacking your head on too-low beams?

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Angel

Re: Windermere?

it's not the beams that are too low. It's you that's 'standing wrong'.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's Grasmere.

Windermere is a biggish lake.

3. Martin an gof Silver badge

Small stone cottage, yes, but the garden is full of daffodils, cabbage-pinching rabbits and puddleducks in bonnets while Amazonian pirates in red hats, empire-building sailors in shorts and ancient Picts learning semaphore interrupt drug-fuelled cloudy wanderings through measureless caves by knocking on the door asking if you have a pint of milk and some eggs to spare.

M.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wot - no blockchain?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

Don't worry, chains are inside the buildings for all those workers who don't like "996"....

20. Bryan Hall

US

We'd prefer a Denver over SF or NYC anyhow for a mile high "5G" experience. :-)

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Its a small world"

Why did you have to mention that bloody song. It has brought back nightmares of queuing around Euro-Disney for hours with that bloody song ringing in my ears in and endless loop.

WHHYYYY???

Still hearing it....

Still...

its a small small world...

1. Colin Wilson 2

Re: "Its a small world"

Don't panic - I can fix that for you...

"I'm in the moo-ood for Dancing...."

You're welcome <gd&r>

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Its a small world"

Romancing....

22. Claverhouse Silver badge

The grace and nobility of purpose in Chinese new replicas of traditional European building always seem a sweet tribute to a time when we, and our architects, could produce great beauty.

As distinct from the identi-crap horrors of skyscrapers and neo-modernist stalinist brutalism that destroyed us with ugliness.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like