back to article Not another pro-Brexit demo... though easy to confuse: Each Union Jack marks a pile of poo

Is there anything more triumphantly British than fields strewn with dog toffee? Well, there is now: fields strewn with dog toffee with Union Jacks proudly planted in them. We all know the feeling – the gradual injurious waft assaulting the nostrils as it dawns on us that we skidded through a clump of excrement kindly left in …

1. Joe Harrison

Dog poo vigilantes

I don't approve of dog poo as kids used to trek it in after playing in the park and when we got a dog I knew what I had to do with the poo.

The dog poo vigilantes are a pain in the poo nozzle though.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Dog poo vigilantes

years ago someone(s) were putting GW Bush flags in dog poo around certain cities.

I think someone should put Cali-fornicate-you flags in HUMAN poo in San Francisco...

or maybe Nancy Pelosi flags... or Jerry Brown flags... or Gavin "Nuisance" flags! Because, their policies CREATE the problem.

[if I were S.F. Mayor I'd hire a bulldozer + firehose crew to clean it up in under a week]

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Doesn't the UK have CCTV almost everywhere?

At least that's how it sounds from reading El Reg. If they're going to have it, might as well using that facial fecal recognition technology for something useful! Then you don't need "vigilantes" to flag the poo, the cops can mail a ticket to their house!

3. David Nash Silver badge

Re: Dog poo vigilantes

If you don't approve of Dog Poo and you always did the right thing, then how are the vigilantes a pain?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seen similar in London

Using cocktail umbrellas!

Lose the Brexit whining please....

1. Kane
      Thumb Up

Re: Seen similar in London

"Lose the Brexit whining please...."

Nope, shan't!

2. caffeine addict

Watching mainstream news try and cram a Brexit angle into everything even vaguely tangential is tedious. Having ElReg add it to things completely irrelevant is annoying.

If it's about, or affected by, Brexit then shout about it. But bringing it up in irrelevant articles just turns the comments into the same old predictable bollocks from both sides.

1. Geoffrey W

But much more fun though. Brexiters who appear in comments tend to be redfaced and angry at the best of times; it's fun to see if they can be pushed just a little further into full on apoplexy. This isn't Ars Technica you know.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If you think the Brexiters are bad, you should take a look at the Remain nuts

1. Andrew Norton

to show a rational side, and highlight just how bad the brexiteer bullshittery is?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fucking dog owners. Every one of them I meet claims it's not them, yet I see them standing chatting when they meet their fellow dog owners while the dogs run off and do whatever they fancy for a while. The thing is this - do dog owners all keep their eyes on the dogs 100% of the time when they're off the lead?

I suspect there's a certain amount of deliberate blind eyes being turned, "oh nobody comes down here" or "it's only next to the path".

It got a LOT better in the 1990s - it was totally unacceptable to let your dog foul public areas; but I've noticed over the years since then it has become worse and worse and people don't give a shit any more (or give far too many shits depending on how you look at it)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Kid owners are worse. Nothing more disgusting than a dumped, used nappy full of baby excrement.

All the parents I know deny doing it, but ...

Easiest way to deal with dog shit? Put them to sleep. Then find the dog a new home with responible owners.

1. Geoffrey W

If we're doing the blame game...

How about menstruating women who leave bathrooms looking like a serial killer just visited. I haven't actually had the pleasure of witnessing this but have done so vicariously when my better half has emerged from some bathroom looking pale and bulge cheeked.

Or more appropriately to this web site, people who drink too much beer the night before and end up with explosive evacuations at the rear end leaving the bathroom unusable and running away without cleaning before anyone knows who dun it.

Let's face it; human beings can be pretty objectionable critters. I still love em though.

1. David Nash Silver badge

I assume you don't mean "bathroom" but "public [lavatory|convenience|toilet|loo|etc]"?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't need to watch my dog 100% of the time when off the lead. Because he's properly trained. He knows where he's allowed to poo (mostly close to the bins) and when he's done it, that's it for the morning or afternoon.

I am a dog owner who is pretty peed off with irresponsible dog owners. I don't want ours banned from public spaces because of them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

maybe once its widely accepted that usage of public spaces to dog owners is an allowance and not an entitlement, then we might see a change in attitudes of your fellow dog owners.

2. Dave K

As a dog owner myself, irresponsible owners piss me off. Where I often walk our dog, you do occasionally see a discarded pile in a stupid place, yet the wheelie bins at the entrance to the park are usually pretty much full after a couple of weeks, showing that a vast majority around here do clean up after their dog. Unfortunately the odd tosser gives the rest of us a bad name.

It is correct however when some dog owners turn a blind eye, but IMO it does depend where it is. Leaving a pile because it is only "next to the path" is utterly unacceptable. My approach is if I can get to it, I'll clean it. On the odd occasion our dog has "done the business" half way down an overgrown river bank, I have to admit to leaving that one. I'm not going to risk slipping into the river to collect it and it is well out of everyone's way. Unfortunately, a minority of dog owners do look for any excuse to leave the pile behind, even when it is clearly visible and clearly accessible.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

> the wheelie bins at the entrance to the park are usually pretty much full after a couple of weeks

Couple of WEEKS? Seriously? They're not changed at least weekly? I can imagine a week's worth of poo being rather objectionable.

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Most dog owners I see DO make the effort.

I'm not a dog owner, but I do run and mountain bike etc. in a lot of places that people like to walk their dogs also; and most of those owners I see do make sure they clean up after their four legged companion - but to your point... it's the same down our way. The bins are always overflowing with dogshit to the point where normal litter cannot be put in them. It's all a bit grim, especially in summer when it all gets a bit, err... ripe? I think the rules are right, but as usual, not enough thought or manpower put into how to run or enforce them.

But... horses shitting all over the roads and pavements? That's ok is it? Now that's a real problem round our way.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Re: Times change

When I wor a lad there wuz still the occasional rag ‘n’ bone man plying his trade throughout London with horse and cart. Time before that such conveyances were ubiquitous : milk, beer etc

Residents didn’t mind. Shovel at the ready to give their tomatoes and beans a dollop of organic goodness.

‘Course, back then most everyone grew vegetables in the back garden.

To give perspective one of my uncles kept chickens - yes, in a residential area of London - just after WWII. I don’t think their detritus qualified as fertiliser.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Most dog owners I see DO make the effort.

"But... horses shitting all over the roads and pavements? That's ok is it? Now that's a real problem round our way."

You've not lived in the country and experienced a herd of cattle being moved down the road for miliking to all decide simultaneously to "relieve themselves" outside your house .... parts of the road were pretty much "under water" as a result!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Round here you'd be talking Sh*te

Where I live the incidence of wild pooing seems to be minimal, not only do dog owners seem to clear up after themselves I've even been approached by a very embarrassed owned who saw me with my dog to beg a poo bag as he had accidentally run out.

Friends and colleagues often reach into pockets and handbags to retrieve something and inadvertently come out with a handful of poo bags. I have them stuffed into the pocket of every jacket I wear outside, keep a roll of them in both cars and as a side effect often end up with spectacularly clean bags after they have been through a wash cycle. We are also thankfully not often greeted by the 'black fruit' hanging from bushes and, like myself, I have often seen well dressed people sauntering along my favourite canal side walk nonchalantly swinging a filled poo bag or two as the next bin is 3/4 mile away. This must be the benefit of living in a 'backward' rural county.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Round here you'd be talking Sh*te

We're not too bad locally, HOWEVER there are some who don't bother and sadly its all too often the "senior" members of the community who are most guilty, along with social climbing ladies (who often use the most unladylike language when asked to clean up after their dog and then deny their dog was the culprit) along with daytrippers.

I also have a myriad of bags on me, in the car, in various jackets, trouser pockets etc....

Then again we have our subset of denizens, 3 of whom are currently on trial for a brutal murder and then burning the victim in his car (possibly while still alive) and who had plenty of acolytes on the local farcebook page backing up their abuse of those who complained about agricultural workers failing to remove mud from the roads (both were farm workers and classed themselves above the law),with such gems as "get out of our fucking toon if you know whats good for you" "its the country I can dae what I want tae" etc etc etc........wonder how many will suddenly deny they ever spoke to those 3 I wonder....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Round here you'd be talking Sh*te

I think I know exactly who you are talking about. But I know the type anyway.

Nothing like coming round a corner on a bike (powered or pedalled) to find the road slick with mud or cow shit.

4. Ima Ballsy
    Coat

I'm not ...

from England or Colne, Lancashire for that matter.

BUT, sounds like some of the residents have gone to dogs to me.

Really should do sometime about that $hitty attitude some pooch owners apparently have ...

Excuse me, I have to take my pet gorilla out for his morning constitutional ....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm not ...

Colne is a horrible little town plonked on top of a very nice bit of countryside.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm not ...

Three residents of Colne know how to use a computer? I'm astounded!

5. Semtex451
    Mushroom

As far as I'm concerned the owners should have their noses rubbed in it, then the flag should be inserted nasally.

Likewise for many of my 'colleagues' can't even clean up after themselves in the office lavatories

EoR

1. Aladdin Sane

As a youth, I remember occasionally seeing the sign "If you sprinkle when you tinkle, be a sweet and wipe the seat" when visiting friends or relatives. Tempted to put it up in my office.

1. Tikimon
        Devil

And a variant...

"Aim carefully! It's shorter than you think."

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: And a variant...

Sit, unless you can do a hole in one every time at Golf.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: And a variant...

"we aim to please. you aim too, please"

2. Dave K

I've seen the alternative version "Ladies you may use the seat, for this is your little treat. But Gentlemen if running late, please do aim straight"...

3. ICPurvis47
        Holmes

German equivalent

When on holiday in a campsite near Koln, I saw this inscribed on the inside of the cubicle door:

Ein Blick zuruck, Ein Grif zum Besen, Und Niemann kann dien Spuren lesen.

Translation:

A glance behind, a grip of the brush, and no-one can read your tracks.

6. Gordon 10
    Joke

Who cleans up the flags?

By definition dog mess is biodegradable* - are the flags?

*excluding the everlasting "white crumblies" which are obviously an indestructible building material of the future.

1. iron Silver badge

Re: Who cleans up the flags?

RTFA

2. Toni the terrible Bronze badge

Re: Who cleans up the flags?

the white crumblies, useful in tanning leather I am told, at least in days gone by - but this may be poo itself...

7. TaabuTheCat

PooPrints

A rather novel solution, and where I live a lot of apartments are starting to require owners with dogs to sign up. Leave poop behind? They DNA match it to the dog/owner. Pretty much solves the "It wasn't MY dog." excuse. (pooprints.com - and no, I have no affiliation. I just think it's a good idea.)

8. Huw D
    Paris Hilton

Liz Hurley?

"Volunteer Liz Hurley added: "

THE Liz Hurley?

1. m0rt

Re: Liz Hurley?

Colne.

Take a guess...

1. Aladdin Sane
        Coat

Clone?

2. Anomalous Cowturd
      Paris Hilton

A Liz Hurley.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Funnily enough when I was a kid we used to do this with daisies.

Mum was so embarassed

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

You stuck flags in daisies? I'm not surprised your mum was embarrassed.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Working for a local authority with some oversight of complaints I can confidently state that the #2 cause of complaints is dog shit (no numerical pun intended).

#1 is bin collections; but that's 90% lying bastards that have forgotten to put theirs out.

I've got sympathy for the dog shit complainants since I regularly find a pile left by some lazy fucker outside my house.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"#1 is bin collections; but that's 90% lying bastards that have forgotten to put theirs out."

No it isn't. It's the bin men couldn't be arsed to take the bin. I've watched them ignore a bin because they'd have to walk another five yards for it.

1. bluesxman
        Holmes

I am not a bin man (nor an advocate for same) but if it's 5 yards off the curb, it sounds an awful lot like you forgot to put it out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

5 yards down the road from where they parked, not 5 yards away from the road.

2. Nick Kew

A well-trained dog knows where not to go, and that includes anywhere a human might tread.

I've yet to meet the horse that was well-trained in that department. Their (much bigger) stinking piles routinely get left where they're a menace, up to and including literally on the doorstep of where I used to live. And the equine set couldn't give a ****.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

maybe. though there arent enough horses round my way for horse excrement to be a pressing issue.

dog shit, meanwhile, its every-fecking-where.

2. Kubla Cant

The equestrian set also seem to regard all metalled surfaces, including footpaths and cycle paths, as bridle tracks. Cycling straight into a massive pile of horse droppings can seriously spoil your day.

3. cantankerous swineherd

put it on the roses if you can get to it before hells grannies.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Comparing horse vs dog shit is just dog owners trying to cloud the issue.

There are about 20 times as many dogs as horses in UK.

Dog owners routinely take their dog out for a public crap twice a day, horses spend most of their time in a field and usually exercised in fields, occasionally on public ROADS not the pavement (sidewalk for US readers!).

I remember as a kid, if a horse crapped in our street a gardener would be out with a shovel to collect it for their garden, it's good fertiliser and we even used to have an occasional guy with a lorry-load selling horse manure door to door. Never seen that with dog-shit, rather the opposite, seen those little areas of dead grass where a dog crapped - yes, rather than fertiliser, dog shit is toxic to plants. (Maybe bag it up and sell it as weed-killer?).

Dog shit can include pathogens including: Whipworms, Hookworms, Roundworms, Tapeworms, Parvo, Corona, Giardiasis, Salmonellosis, Cryptosporidiosis, Campylobacteriosis many of which can affect humans and can lie dormant in the soil for years.

Horse shit is comparatively "clean", capable of hosting far less variety of pathogens and the only human risks are likely to be from sick horses and its the veterinary surgeon who's at risk.

If you step on a dog shit it stinks and you're rightfully angry, a horse shit is more visible and if you do step on it you won't immediately be looking for a way to clean it off, just take a glance, it's mostly the indigestible bits of grass.

There's a big difference between carnivore and herbivore shit, rabbits commonly eat their own shit as fermentation processes release more nutrients so they are effectively doubling the length of their intestines. (I'm led to believe human vegetarians don't normally follow that example).

I'm not one of "the equine set" but neither am I a defender of the right for dog owners to disregard their dog's twice a day shits in public parks and footpaths.

3. Lee D Silver badge

"#1 is bin collections; but that's 90% lying bastards that have forgotten to put theirs out."

Allow me to describe a complaint I filed against my council:

- They didn't collect bins from 12 houses for a period of 3 months.

- Collections were sporadic, random, and never at their assigned times.

- I complained, they ignored.

- Neighbours complained, they ignored.

- So I did my usual - full, no-holds-barred, complaint-flurry with follow-up.

Literally, the bin lorries were taking it upon themselves to not bother with the last part of the street, because that would mean doubling-back down other roads they've already done (it wasn't a dead-end, just the end of a street that met another two streets). They never came back and didn't bother to collect unless an enormous fuss was made, when they'd collect once at random and then claim "the bins weren't out" (of course not, we get fined if we put them out on a non-bin day!).

Full-complaint mode revealed that they'd rather target me explicitly, trying to fine me for putting the bins out wrong, throwing the wrong stuff in the bin, letting bins overflow (YOU DON'T BLOODY COLLECT THEM!), etc. etc.

However, there was one teensy, tiny downside to their assertion:

I had CCTV footage, 24/7/365.25. Covering the entirety of my front garden, the road beyond and anyone collecting (or not) my rubbish. Going back six months. When this was revealed, they hastily retracted all such claims. They also claimed that "I'd put non-recyclable rubbish in the recycling bin hence why it wasn't collected". Either they have long-distance X-ray vision, or they never even actually turned up to look at the bin, much less make a decision on its contents. And, as I pointed out, even if true, just "not taking" the rubbish is no good unless you put a flag or leaflet or something explaining one (because otherwise people could make up any old cobblers not to take it and how the hell would I know?).

Then I got them into the papers with my complaint letter, and handily revealed the fact that the councillor in charge of waste management just-so-happened to own the waste management firm (and hadn't properly registered that interest *cough*). I received a very hasty apology and not once was our rubbish left uncollected again.

The best part, though. "Oh, you live in XXXXX Lane? Well, our manager lives in that same road, so obviously he's collecting your rubbish!". Really, mate? You give me the time, date, vehicle registration, and I'll provide you the footage of him doing just that. Because I *do* have footage of every time, date in the last six months. And he's not on any of them. Do you want that footage?

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

and handily revealed the fact that the councillor in charge of waste management just-so-happened to own the waste management firm

... the never-ending blessings of privatization 001.

Incidentally, I've never understood the doctrine that local people will be more efficient and 'better' at performing local duties than a distant faceless authority.

[ They may be, however much I doubt it --- it's just that there is no reasoning to suggest anything of the kind. ]

4. JimC

Or is it...

I wonder how much is actually Fox crap. Brer Fox has a tendency to leave his excretions on a raised object so its particularly visible.

1. PM from Hell
        Facepalm

Re: Or is it...

I believe that responsible Labrador owners manage to remove all their own dog poo and a huge amount of horse, fox and cow poo too, my own dog even managed to come home encrusted in rotten salmon after going for a roll on the backs of the river Tweed when the salmon were in spate. if you own a Lab you better have a strong stomach and an outside tap.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And I expect the foxes are the ones that bag it up and hang it from a tree.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" Brer Fox has a tendency to leave his excretions on a raised object"

We've just built a raised bed to grow veg in and have discovered this the hard way .... at least we managed to prevent the fox from raising cubs under our garden shed this year (managed to block the entrance they used after they'd moved on) so hopefuly we can avoid the cub dying on the patio scenario again.

To link it to the bin collection comments - foxes also seem to enjoy collecting plastic from recycling bins (espcially student house next door who regularily put recycling in the wrong boxes so it isn't collected for several weeks) and bringing it into our garden.

11. Pen-y-gors

Could be worse

A few years ago I spent a few weeks staying in a block of flats in the centre of Santiago de Chile. Dog owners would just open the flat door and let their mutt out to have a shit on the marble floor of the corridor. All very reminiscent of pre-revolutionary Versailles.

12. S4qFBxkFFg

As a fellow commentard once pointed out, the better solution is to make the offending turds more appetising by generously applying bacon grease or barbecue sauce (depending on availability). The local wildlife will then diligently dispose of the now dressed doings.

Fittingly, if the source animal is regular in terms of location, they may be the one on whom the duty falls.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dear S4qFBxkFFg

I'm afraid you've mixed up your password and user name

13. x 7

pigs

best cure for a dog turd problem is a herd of free-range pigs, they'll soon scoff up any shit

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: pigs

Then gorillas for when the pigs get out of control?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

what if the gorillas start demanding rights? they could overthrow us like in that film.

lets aim for a solution to the dog shit menace that doesnt result in the end of humanity.

1. Geoffrey W

Jet packs. It's about time we had them. Then we wouldn't have to touch the ground at all, so it doesn't matter whats on it.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another gratuitous shabby sneer at people who believe in democracy then...

Since canine excrement has nothing to do whatsoever with IT, flagged or otherwise.

Now. if this had been about black people instead of brexiteers....it would be a hate crime.

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Re: Another gratuitous shabby sneer at people who believe in democracy then...

Oh do f**k off with your stale, tedious and totally pointless post.

2. Claverhouse Silver badge

Well, black people aren't universally despised thickos. If we must gratuitously sneer, let us chose those who doom us.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How clever of you to post with one sentence no one will downvote, with a second sentence that's total BS and obviously wrong, given a certain vote count.

1. BigSLitleP

Just because there are a high level of thickos doesn't make them any less thick.

3. Mark 85

You obviously can't read or think also. Look at the article... at the title. See the word "bootnotes"... so just f*** off.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And a really appropriate bootnote when "you note what is stuck to your boot." Or did everyone miss that obvious relevance. One did as I see.

15. SVV

I read the news today, oh boy

Two hundred turd flags in Colne, Lancashire

And though the flags were rather small

They had to count them all

Now they know how many turds it takes to fill the Albert Haaaaaall.......

1. Kubla Cant

Re: I read the news today, oh boy

Now they know how many turds it takes to fill the Albert Haaaaaall.......

I love to turn turd you on.

1. Geoffrey W

Re: I read the news today, oh boy

Get a room you two.

16. Baal Olisbos

Out means out!

After Brexit these interfering librals will all be strung up, and we can go back to the good old days of freely shitting in school playgrounds!

1. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
      IT Angle

Re: Out means out!

Given that some of the fresh intake of 5 yr old kids haven't been toilet trained, I suspect the only people shitting in playgrounds will be the kids themselves.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

El Reg has gone to the dogs!!

Some might admire El Reg's dogged pursuit of sh?tty journalism. However, I can do without this formerly beloved publication screwing the pooch through a veritable diarreah of articles about hound mounds, about which I obviously don't give a crap. The endless streams of articles about fecal matters make me want to evacuate this website.

18. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

How things have changed...

Years ago people used to register their protest at something by squatting.

19. TheProf
    Unhappy

Warm and squishy

I can't understand the thinking of those dog owners who;

pull a fresh poo-bag from the pack,

put it over their hand,

bend down and scoop up the fresh pile of poo into the bag,

hold the poo securely while unfolding the bag over their hand,

tie a neat bow in the bag securing the poo inside,

then dump the whole lot in the middle of the footpath.

Maybe they just like the feel of a handful of warm shite.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poo shooter

The answer is obvious!

Fling the poop over a nearby fence.

Problem solved.

1. Che van der Showa

Re: Poo shooter

Sounds like a business expansion opportunity for Yodel.

21. ghp

And He stood up and said to them: "Let him who does not pollute this planet with plastics or car exhaust, plant the first flag."

22. BrownishMonstr

I am rather sad there wasn't any derogatory comment about my country.

1. BrownishMonstr

*County, dammit.

23. MrKrotos

They dont like it...

if you pickup said dog mess and throw in to their open car window. This I found to also be fun :P

I have also found that throwing McDees milkshakes back in to a car window pisses the driver and passenger off :D

I must add that I ride a motorbike which works well for a get away :P

24. Steve Crook

Cats have arses too.

And like to shit in gardens. But not *their* gardens. Dog shit on the shoes is one thing, cat shit on the hands while weeding is something else entirely.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon