back to article Server at web host 1&1 Ionos decides to take unscheduled day off, sinks a bunch of sites

Customers of web host 1&1 Ionos are complaining of a lack of communication after the company suffered a day-long server outage that pulled some websites offline. On Tuesday call centre staff lost access to support tools they need to answer customer queries. Far more seriously, a major server outage yesterday left customer …

1. Alister

The firm's website says it runs 90,000 servers in 10 data centres located in Europe and the US

So which one of the 90,000 fell over then?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not surprised used both companies but only for a short period in both cases. Draw your own conclusions.

How can everyone have a personal consultant............? I guess they can, just don't expect them to be available. Perhaps TheReg can ask how many customers each 'personal' consultant handles.

3. nikos

I've been with 1&1 (now ionos) for 15 years and never had a problem with them. I didn't notice anything yesterday either so I guess I was among the lucky ones, or this is blown out of all proportion. $#!+ happens to the best of them, nothing to write home about

1. VinceH

Same here, and for a similar length of time. Prior to moving to them, I changed hosts quite a bit - probably every two or three years on average. That should be a good indication of how reliable I've found their service compared to hosts I've had previously. (And I didn't notice anything yesterday, either.)

1. Captain Scarlet

Just wondering, do either of you have the advertised personal rep?

1. VinceH

I'm not aware of having one, but I suspect it's a relatively new sales pitch. There may very well be someone assigned to my account, but with no reason to call them, I wouldn't know.

1. Captain Scarlet

Ah as I just have a feeling its a Sales Droid

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

We have a 'personal rep'.

When we've had reason to contact them, we always seem to get someone "in the same team"... so it is a personal rep in name only.

3. texasaggie

I have a "personal rep" but I agree - likely a bot.

I didn't experience any issues with my sites that I noticed. I started with 1&1 a long time ago (~15 years). My big complaint with them is that you can't bring your own SSL certs (e.g. from https://letsencrypt.org). Their certs are extremely expensive compared to other options, especially for non-profit sites. I have been a loyal customer but their continual "changes" and lack of focus on their core offerings have me at a point where I'm ready to leave them.

2. Random Handle

>I didn't notice anything yesterday either

I've a dedicated server there - it went down at 2am and came back up at just after 11am.

I rang support at 2.30am, got through immediately but was told there would be no-one to take a look until about 6am - which tallied with the fact that the IONOS service status wasn't undated until 6.50am.

Definitely a drop in support service though - last time I had an issue at this time of day (a dead disk dropping out of an array) someone was throwing in a new one within about 30 mins.

4. Blockchain commentard
    Facepalm

Should they spend less on Harry advertising their services and more in infrastructure?

And is the German company a p!$$ take? They even call themself bricked - who says the German's don't have a sense of humour.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

The parent company, United Internet, is one Germany's biggest hosting companies and also runs things like the GMX mail system. I'm not their biggest fan but the servers are generally considered to be very reliable.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Situation normal.

"Support telephone lines not answered. Callback not happened. 'Personal Consultant' is 'not available'. Chat has 'No one available to help you right now'."

Service??

Normal service. I'd be more surprised if someone answered the phone, and downright flabbergasted if they were then in any way helpful.

6. Lee D Silver badge

I use them, but literally only for DNS services, and as a secondary mail server.

I used to rent a dedicated server from them many years ago, but they literally supplied it to me with a Linux image that was so out of date and insecure it was laughable, but for which their update servers refused to provide updates. Additionally, the only official update available from the distro (I forget which, probably wasn't Ubuntu back then) to get over the hurdle required you to do something in the bootloader and came with all kinds of dire warnings.

Of course, you didn't have access to the bootloader, and when asked they refused to do anything about it, or even assist - they would charge if the machine became unbootable as a result, for instance! Literally, they supplied a booby-trapped insecure server from the very first second you clicked the button and there was no recourse that didn't involve a potential charge. I talked to support multiple times about it, who were singularly unhelpful and I think just avoided doing anything but remote-power-cycling on a server from their offices, I emailed, I wrote letters, and in the end I just cut the credit card payment. They moaned a bit but didn't even bother to chase.

The server literally never went into production, because it was just too dangerous - the OS was so drastically out of date that most of the usual services were remotely-compromisable, and you couldn't upgrade the services (things like Apache, etc.) without a kernel upgrade, which you couldn't do because they didn't supply it, support it, and would charge you if it didn't work. Oh, and of course they reserved the right to take your machine offline if it was found to be vulnerable, and still charge you for hosting it.

After that experience, I never touched them again, with one exception. My current employer holds a domain with 20+ subdomains with them. All of the A and MX records point to something non-1&1. Basically if their nameserver does ever fall over, I'm moving the domain, and I already don't trust them with anything else at all.

They keep trying to sell me SSL certificates, though. Which is hilarious since the advent of LetsEncrypt, but even worse when their prices are like 10 times their competitors even for a non-wildcard certificate.

7. zaax

Many years ago they were hosting a site, it got popular they closed it for no reason.

8. Mage Silver badge

Ionos UK

It does seem to be only the UK division in the last while that's been having problems. I wonder have they lost some experts lately?

1. Captain Scarlet
      Trollface

Re: Ionos UK

If they are the experts from the adverts they are probably waiting for their voice overs to come back from lunch.

9. Dr. Ellen
    Paris Hilton

*Somebody* at 1&1 was available on the phone.

I'm sitting here in Minnesota, not having any trouble with my site. Used it for almost twenty years. But as an interesting sidebar, they telephoned me just last Tuesday trying to talk me into upgrading.

10. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
    Holmes

We had a server go down at 2am (UK time, 3am in Germany)... came back OK but only because we'd practised rebooting that server so knew all services started etc.

Queried it with them when we got in the office... they eventually came back with the power outage info.

Shit happens, but whatever you're paying for, make sure that you are resilient yourself. Never trust anyone else to build resilience for you.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Thumb Up

This!

"Shit happens, but whatever you're paying for, make sure that you are resilient yourself. Never trust anyone else to build resilience for you."

11. Keith 12

Sh*t Happens..

Hosted 100's of Domains and associated e-mail addresses on 2 Servers with 1and1 for over 20 years - exceptional reliability and service received.

Never lost a Site and over that period I doubt if we have seen more than 4 hours (total) e-mail downtime.

On the rare occasion that I have required assistance I have found their support services to be easily contactable very helpful and highly efficient.

Based on the above, I'm often bemused by stories I've read over the years as regards 1and1 crap service.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well I too have been a 1and1 customer for nearly 10 years and something very very very bad is happening. Since the Ionos takeover they are running many Nameservers and in the case of one of our domains we have 100's of visitors being bounced to a holding site.

Having spent a month trying to speak to them about this and being given the usual "fob off" that it is a Caching issue etc etc it appears that their Name Servers are failing and they are hiding this from their customers. There simply isn't anything you can do other than lose visitors and set up a website elsewhere "THAT CAME FROM THEM"

We asked if we could simply move our site to a AWS Name Server and that's not possible as we have MyWebsiteBuilder.

You can find out if this is happening to you by checking your website logs as they will just tell you a pack of lies.

The conclusion is this you will lose a huge % of site visitors that you don't know about unless your visitors tell you, when they do Ionos will fob you off with "old broswers" or "Caching" issues and that appears to be a blatant and corporate lie.

This one will not be solved as they have NO WAY to rectify it and we are quite lucky that our brand is involved in AI tech so they saw right through it. 99% of people wont question it but we did and we got the truth, Failing Name Servers and no way to Sort It"

Personally I am engaging solicitors as they have damaged one of our start up brands out of all recognition.

13. ricardian

Email problems - I'm unable to send emails to anyone with an MSN, Hotmail or Outlook email address. IONOS latest:

Update

We are still working on resolving the technical issue. Thank you for your patience.

Posted about 3 hours ago. Aug 21, 2019 - 18:37 BST

Update

We are still working on resolving the technical issue.

Posted about 9 hours ago. Aug 21, 2019 - 13:12 BST

Update

We are still working on resolving the technical issue. Thank you for your patience.

Posted about 22 hours ago. Aug 21, 2019 - 00:01 BST

Update

We will update the status page with any information as soon as it becomes available.

Posted 1 day ago. Aug 20, 2019 - 16:58 BST

Update

We are still working on resolving the technical issue.

Posted 1 day ago. Aug 20, 2019 - 13:54 BST

Update

Posted 1 day ago. Aug 20, 2019 - 11:29 BST

Identified

Some customers may be experiencing issues sending E-mails.

Posted 1 day ago. Aug 20, 2019 - 09:46 BST

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like