back to article Russian parliament waves through powers for internet iron curtain

The Russian State Duma, the lower house of parliament, has voted to approve the controversial bill that would give politicians powers to isolate the country from the internet. The so-called "sovereign internet" bill is on track to become law by 1 November, and according to local newswire TASS, the implementation is expected to …

1. steelpillow Silver badge
    Trollface

Cloud services

Google, Android, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, Oracle, Dropbox and all those other cloudy touch-base-if-nothing-else services, who needs 'em.

2. GrapeBunch

Нос

Больше Гогол, меньше Гугл.

If you're about to remark that I need to brush up on my grammar, you are surely correct.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Нос

: Don't know about grammar, but Gogol has a soft sign and so does Google.

: больше Гоголь меньше Гугль.

Not quite. Гоголь (19-th century Ukrainian-Russian writer) is indeed spelled with "ь" in the nominative. In this particular case, the appropriate case is however genitive, giving "Гоголя". For google, the most common Russian spelling according to yandex.ru is "гугл" (in nominative [*]). In genitive it becomes "гугла". Therefore, the corrected versions becomes:

"Больше Гоголя, меньше гугла".

That's probably not a bad sentiment in any case - although I would not object to a substitution of any other good writer for N.V. Gogol if your fancy takes you that way.

[*] Personally, I would write it, and most other recently-borrowed words, in the original script - in which case it would not be declined. Unfortunately, my schooling in Russian is from a different era (and century), and the majority of the contemporary speakers think otherwise.

3. macjules
    Pint

благодарю вас, Товарищ Пу́тин

The Russian State Duma, the lower house of parliament, has voted to approve the controversial bill that would give politicians powers to isolate the country from the internet.

Does this mean no more Internet Research Agency and no more "Russian women would just love to do [sexual reference deleted] to you" spam emails?

Cheers, Vlad. Have a beer on me.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: благодарю вас, Товарищ Пу́тин

It goes on to say "if a hostile power attempts to shut down connectivity to and from Russia."

So any power getting fed up with Russia sticking its internet fingers into other people's affairs has only to make a relatively ineffective attempt to block them and they'll take over and do the job themselves. When do we start?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: благодарю вас, товарищ Путин (no accent on Putin)

There was some idiot on a program yesterday, according to my wife, who was admitting his care home had problems due to getting staff from abroad having got difficult, but said he would still vote Leave because that meant he could get in cheap labour from Ukraine and Russia.

If half the stuff I used to remove from the company spam filter was true he'll have a rapid patient turnover due to heart attacks.

3. Mike Moyle

Re: благодарю вас, Товарищ Пу́тин

"Does this mean no more Internet Research Agency..."

No, but I have to assume that it probably will make it harder for any attempts to reverse-hack into IRA, or any new iterations of the same sort of operation.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The rest of the world should help them out

And cut them off from the internet entirely. The decrease in hacking, scams, spam etc. would make it worth it for the rest of us...if they want to be cut off give them what they want!

1. Kabukiwookie

Re: The rest of the world should help them out

Airbus, Stuxnet, Belgacom, Angela Merkel's phone and those are only the one's directly from the top of my head

Yep, those pesky Russians should be cut from the internet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Go ahead and cut yourself off from Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, Amazon etc. etc. Russia doesn't have anything the rest of the world wants internet-wise.

I wasn't making a value judgment of US vs Russia bad actions, just pointing out that cutting yourself off from Russia loses you nothing and protects you from lots. You can protect yourself from lots by cutting yourself off from the US, but you'll lose more than the cost is worth.

1. Kabukiwookie

Go ahead and cut yourself off from Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, Amazon

Google no longer adheres to 'do no evil'. Microsoft set the IT world back 20 years, by killing off its competitors, Apple has gone back to

their pre-Jobs stagnation, Facebook is a pivacy and security nightmare and Amazon should buy their employees either some catheters or give them a living wage.

If only the EU would do that as well. Monopolies are bad for competition. Aside from the fact that these NSA tools gather your private data.

Jef Bezos literally has a seat at the same table as the multitude of US 'security' related TLAs.

The world would be a lot better off without any of the corporations you mention; without their anti-competitve behaviour, some real innovators may be able to flourish.

1. Kabukiwookie

It's always interesting to see that down voters very rarely respond with a counter to issues brought up in a post.

For the people who downvoted, I would be very interested whether you disagree with any of the points that were brought up and if so which ones and why or whether you just don't like what you're reading and hurt your feelings.

1. Kabukiwookie

Thanks for confirming the fairly obvious.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

Maybe just some extra (free) VPN services would do (like Tor maybe?).

When politicians overwhelming pass legislation to give themselves EVEN MORE power, you gotta watch out...

Maybe we can find a way to help Russian Libertarians that are standing up for individual rights, free speech, and privacy... and let them fix it from within?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Navalny gets about 2% of the vote, doesn't he?

The best way for the US to help Russian democrats is not to be seen to be trying to affect Russia in any way. Because, after Yeltsin, an awful lot of Russians regard the US as being the source of their problems.

See also Syria, Afghanistan, Libya and Iraq, the left wing opposition in Israel and a few other places. The whole schtick of "Hello, we're superior white Anglo-Saxons, let us teach you about democracy and replace your government" is proving a bit of a failure - unless you have oil shares.

5. N2

Excellent

If it was an outgoing firewall as well.

1. GrapeBunch

Re: Excellent

If everything has to go through the national servers, then shouldn't filtering them out, thus creating an "outgoing firewall" be somewhere between feasible and easy-peasy?

6. cornetman Silver badge

I'm getting more and more worried about the draconian control that states are trying to exert over the Internet these days, both inside Russia, China and elsewhere.

There's been a lot of talk in the past about decentralising the Internet and taking it out of the hands of the ISPs.

Perhaps now is the right time to be thinking about exactly how we are going to do that and actually get on with it.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

"more and more worried about the draconian control that states are trying to exert over the Internet these days"

It is the nature of humans to want to live free. It is the nature of gummints to want to stop that...

This is because the most vile and corrupt people tend to get involved in gummint in order to MAKE THEMSELVES MORE POWERFUL, or to deal with "fear" issues that motivate them to CONTROL OTHERS.

In either case, without some kind of 'push back', communism will return to Russia (and infect the entire world), because, it is the nature of a large number of people in government to WANT TO DO THIS TO US, and for a few very wealthy elitists to ENABLE them.

1. Long John Brass
        Big Brother

Hate to break it to you Mr Bomastic

The Russians are just playing catch-up on this front; The rest of the "free" world is already way ahead on this front. Don't believe me? We've all seen the rumblings from the powers that be; about internet harms and "hate" speech :(

1. Kabukiwookie

Re: Hate to break it to you Mr Bomastic

Indeed. The russians are fairly late to this particular table. Other beacons of democracy have paved the way for this already.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_kill_switch

7. DeeCee

no more russians in CS:GO?

i hope it will reduce number of russians in cs:go, the % of cheaters, rude a**holes and screaming kids is just too damn high. Though is fun hearing our local russian swearing on discord about having to play with russians. Hopefully there wont be more of BDO bs where EU countries are locked to russian servers instead of western.

1. Kabukiwookie

Re: no more russians in CS:GO?

% of cheaters, rude a**holes and screaming kids is just too damn high. 

Yes, it's horrible that people playing videogames are not more mature or less of an a-hole when (more or less) anonymously connected to the internet. Who'd have thunk it?

You must be new here.

1. DeeCee

russians take it to the next level, same with their tourists.

on the + side they arent as oversensitive snowflakes as many westerners

1. Kabukiwookie

Thanks for the response..

Have had some run ins with obnoxious tourists from different countries, including both Russians and USians.

It may have something to do with the lack of needing to travel to a foreign country when traveling a long distance and not encountering diverse cultures that much. That ssems to limit the capacity to deal with anything outside of the 'normal' comfort zone.

Disclaimer. I wasn't the one who down voted you btw (actually the opposite since I appreciate the response even though I was a bit snarky).

1. DeeCee

i guess its from all the brainwashing about how they "saved" world from evil nazis, despite replacing nazis with equally terrible regime.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like