back to article Two Soyuz launches, Starhopper hops, sats play chicken with Indian weapons test fallout

SpaceX has set tomorrow as the launch date for the second Falcon Heavy, which was hauled up to pad 39A last week and its first stage engines ignited briefly as part of a routine static test. The booster, which stood without its payload, had its motors fired up at noon local time. Based on the results of the test, and after …

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Historical situation ...

As they obviously came first in the successful history of muppets meddling with spaceflight, I presume "Pigs in Space ...!" will be the correct intonation used for "Trump on Moon!"

On landing, I further assume he will not want a US flag planted to honour those who worked to get there but a 'claim' sign for the land so he can build a golf course ...

1. Alistair
      Windows

Re: Historical situation ...

@AndyTheHat;

If there's a trump on the moon, is that not sufficient for orbital insertion?

Re: Historical situation ...

If there's a Trump on the moon, the Earth will have a lot of shiny, happy people possibly having fun ...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does a Beresheet on the moon?

1. WonkoTheSane
      Headmaster

"Does a Beresheet on the moon?"

Not until Thursday

3. Trollslayer
    Mushroom

India shouldn't have done that

They have pissed off major nations.

Don't expect other nations to be helpful in the future.

1. Gordon 10
      Meh

Re: India shouldn't have done that

I rather suspect the India civvies just roll their eyes and say "Militaries and their toys", and are then left to get on with it as most of the big space nations have similar problems.

2. Ken 16 Silver badge

were they helpful before?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Only if you have Microsoft Windows operating system.

3. Raj

The 'major nations' - US, Russia and China - have already done ASAT tests themselves. We're hardly about to see any negative commentary from them as anything more than rank hypocrisy.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The UN should establish littering fines, proportional to the amount and location of ALL litter, for all nations, and all debris and leftovers that they do not clean up after their use. So far, near Earth space has been treated as just a dumping ground by everyone.

4. STOP_FORTH
    Thumb Up

Falcon Heavy design error

Elon's never going to get a decent Korolev Cross with only two bolt-on rockets.

I want four bolt-on rockets, a Korolev Cross and streaming video playing The Blue Danube on the audio.

I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey when it came out and, frankly, real life is lagging behind my expectations.

Come on guys, it's not Rocket Sci.........oh, as you were. Sorry.

Re: Falcon Heavy design error

I just hope this Falcon launch is as great as the last. No cock ups, no minor "unscheduled disassembly" of the vehicle ... and if they can plant the landings it'd be awesome. Musky can be a mouthy twat but he seems to have got the lighted candle thing working quite well ...

1. Mark 85

Re: Falcon Heavy design error

Musky can be a mouthy twat but he seems to have got the lighted candle thing working quite well ...

He might take the "atta-boy's" but it would have to be for hiring engineers with the right stuff who have the same vision also. Their attitude of "get it done" is impressive and out shines Boeing by a huge amount. We need more people of vision and entrepreneurship especially in developing space travel. Boing has lost it's edge, not just in space travel.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

out shines Boeing?

Boeing were asked to design and build a competitor to the A320neo in 3 years and they got that done.

5. RobThBay

5 million pounds of thrust

Didn't the 1st stage of a Saturn 5 also produce about 5 million pounds of thrust?

1. mr.K
      Mushroom

Re: 5 million pounds of thrust

You can add 50% on that number.

2. hplasm
      Devil

Re: 5 million pounds of thrust

heh heh.

5 Megapounds.... just to annoy everyone!

6. IvyKing
    Boffin

Nixon does deserve a bit of credit

The space program was really Eisenhower's baby as he wanted the capability to do photo recon of the Soviet Union. There has been a lot of speculation that he wanted the Soviets to be first to launch a satellite so they would not be in a position to complain about American satellite overflights of the Soviet Union. Von Braun was in the position to launch a satellite in 1956, but Ike had orders to make sure he didn't try.

Kennedy's goal for a landing by the end of the 60's would not have been possible without the F-1 engine, and development started in 1958. Kennedy was also making a lot of noise about the "missile gap" when Ike knew the Soviets only had a handful of operational ICBM's in mid 1960.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nixon does deserve a bit of credit

Let's get the conspiracy theories correct ... the US were ready for space travel from a time shortly after July 1947 (Roswell). Also note the US "invention of the transistor" at end of 1947 - coincidence? - I think not!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like