back to article Microsoft buffs its rings, emits Code and goes global with Kaizala

More bafflement for long suffering Windows Insiders, the gang showing off Visual Studio's hipper cousin and Kaizala going global are just three of the wonderous things in the latest Microsoft round-up. Ringing in the Windows Insider changes The next version of Windows is almost upon us, and the Windows Insider team has decided …

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

All Change Please

With so many rapid (and sometimes quite dramatic) changes how are people supposed to keep up? In fact, how do their own guys ensure the code is...

Oh, wait.

2. DJV Silver badge
    Facepalm

Skip ahead?

More like skip to the looney farm, methinks! Just what are Microsoft smoking these days?

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Skip ahead?

Just what are Microsoft smoking these days?

I don't know and I don't care, I just want a sufficient supply of it.

3. Joe Dietz

A conversation I had somewhat recently regarding some release timing and a windows feature led me to believe that there are possibly plans to start tick-tocking releases between public consumption and azure infrastructure. So 19H2 may be happening, it just may not be happening for external customers. Given that the core OS team now seems to report to the Azure business unit and all...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Status Quo

Ah the steady progress march of modern IT towards the status quo. Every few years we start a newer, more agile, faster solution to the same problem and gradually add features until it sucks, then start afresh. Browsers and chat are particularly prone to this. Why can't we just have a rule where we kneecap anyone that says the word "plugin" rather than dance this merry dance? Although to be fair, each iteration does use a newer, more trendy language. Without these shitty new versions of old things there wouldn't need to be new languages and we'd end up with stability. And we can't have that.

5. Craig100

Skype behind

I noticed Skype was mentioned, albeit quietly. It's a disgrace what MS have done to it and it's army of users. Communication is now so fragmented. When there was just Skype it was fine. You could pretty much talk to anyone. Now, it's a total dogs breakfast trying to communicate between Windows, Mac and Linux users and again between what's laughingly called Skype for Business and Consumer Skype. I believe they scraped the code base when they bought it and re-badged Lync. Wonder if anyone here knows if this is true or not?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Skype behind

"When there was just Skype it was fine."

What on earth are you jabbering about? There has never been "just Skype" Microsoft have a long history of changing chat. Virtual chat, 3d chat, MSN chat, Skype, Lync, v-chat, Office communicator, Teams, Kyzala, winpopup, Windows Messenger, Live chat, Skype for Business. The list is endless.

My favourite was 3d chat which was quite groovy in a '90s sort of way. Over a 36.6k modem it was snappier than Teams despite custom "3d" avatars* in a 3d virtual world. I'm actually quite curious how chat has continued to get slower over the years, and how a chat program can completely freeze a modern 8CPU desktop system with broadband.

*3d avatars were actually a sort of 2d thing with an image on them that floated about. 3d used to be so cool...

6. MatthewSt

GroupMe?

No mention of GroupMe? Microsoft nearly have as many messaging options as Google now!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Teams needs reeping

Teams need a visit from the Redmond Reeper, or failing that a complete overhaul.

Its bloated and slow, and the UI leaves much to be desired.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Use the comments below to suggest a name for the 19H2 testing ring.

"Windows 10 tends to totter every now again, the Insider program is, by design, a good deal flakier. It is test code after all."

Shirley you would name the testing ring for the one that got away:

Ring 0

9. the Jim bloke

"oh my god, make it stop"

I thought that was what it did to your system, possibly after moving your data to a "better place"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like