back to article AI infosec biz Darktrace boasts near-doubled revenues as firm alumni battle HPE in civil case

Darktrace, the security startup backed in part by Mike Lynch, the exec currently involved in a big civil fraud case being heard at the UK's High Court, has nearly doubled turnover and reported deeper losses. The firm, started by Cambridge Uni maths boffins and folk with infosec experience gained at intelligence agencies, said …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stopped here...

"The technology is self-learning and requires no set-up"

Everyone knows what that means. In fact, on a side note, I believe that even the most advanced Ai machine would still desire human input for self connection or moral balance (the futures Ai is very 'moral', it insists).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Call me Aardvark

I'd be pouring over Darktrace's accounts with a fine-tooth comb if I was an investor!

3. Chris G

Call me stumped

I just don't understand how these 'disruptive' companies continue year after year to make operating losses and still manage to be valued at figures like £1.6 billion.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spooks and mirrors

We had it installed on our network, its very much a black box and lets just say without a managed service you'd be lost. AI / learning is always being altered by them, otherwise the detection false+'s go through the roof. The UI looks pretty good but in truth we're looking for alternatives for when the renewal comes around..

1. Halfmad

Re: Spooks and mirrors

Refused to even try it out for free, they weren't willing to discuss pricing until it was installed.

IMHO that's just taking the ****. They call me frequently, and I simply tell them I'm not interested in shady practices.

2. Chewi

Re: Spooks and mirrors

I attended a presentation where they showed how it reveals the details of Windows network share activity happening on the LAN. They didn't appreciate it when I pointed out that you would never see this much detail from modern systems because all the traffic would be encrypted.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Read the staff bios

No actual Cambridge grads or former spooks that I could see!

6. Potemkine! Silver badge

Dilbertian

343 people in sales vs 229 people in R&D, that tells a lot.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like