back to article Cop watchers to probe UK police sharing data on witnesses' migration status with Home Office

UK cops' sharing of data with the Home Office will be probed by oversight bodies following a super-complaint from civil rights groups, it was confirmed today. At the heart of the issue is the way that victims' and witnesses' data collected by the police are shared with central government immigration teams. Liberty and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can see how even those here legally might feel intimidated by this given the Windrush fiasco.

Someone should have been strung up for that one. I had some colleagues on LT years ago who were part of that group, I hope they were unaffected.

This data sharing is getting out of hand and smacks of Big Brother. It needs stopping now.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windrush

My wife's gone to the West Indies

Jamaica?

No, Amber Rudd did.

1. Chris G

Re: Windrush

There's a scary thought, with Ms T Might threatening to resign, Rudd would likely be a contender for No 10. I can't think who would be worse, her or Scarecrow Johnson.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Rudd would likely be a contender for No 10"

Apart from anything else I doubt anyone with such a small majority would be in contention. The time to worry is when you see her being engineered into a less marginal constituency.

2. TRT Silver badge

I had similar thoughts back in 2016.

3. deive

Don't forget the disabled being attacked in the same manner. https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/call-for-urgent-probe-into-police-passing-dwp-information-about-protesters/

4. stiine Silver badge
    Holmes

Why is that?

I'm trying to figure out a nice way to say 'why not just go home, where your passports says you're from, then our criminals won't be able to bother you' but I can't seem to do it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why is that?

If you're going to take that attitude, sure you should be happy, because if criminals are busy with immigrants then they're not bothering you right?

Plus it's good for british crims because they have people they can hassle who can't go to the police.

What's not to love? (Unless you have a conscience or something)

2. ratfox
      Meh

Re: Why is that?

I'm sure that abusive employers like it even more when they can replace expensive Brits with cheap foreigners who are even unable to complain to the cops.

Treating illegal immigrants like subhuman garbage has a cost to society at large.

5. Martin-73 Silver badge

The police are the criminals here. Immigration is a civil matter, not criminal. The police have NO part in it. Arrest and deport the top cops ;)

1. Great Bu

Um...no

Immigration laws are laws just like any other law - breaking them is a criminal act, not a civil infringement.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

who cares about migrants

the number of comments confirms that people can't see past headlines and link datapoints (though the State clearly can, does, and will). Watch this space, soon :/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like