back to article Mozilla tries to do Java as it should have been – with a WASI spec for all devices, computers, operating systems

Mozilla this week announced a project called WASI (WebAssembly System Interface) to standardize how WebAssembly code interacts with operating systems. If the project succeeds, it will do what Oracle's Java Virtual Machine does, but better and more broadly. WebAssembly, or WASM, is a binary format for a virtual machine that can …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

But a write-once, run anywhere binary represents a worthwhile effort

Or a security nightmare.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Still better than having n different codebases, each with their specific bugs

1. Anonymous Coward
        Boffin

"Heterogeneity can be your friend." Said by me the day before this piece.It has the probability of increasing difficulty in approaching the attack surface. You really, really have to take a tough, considered approach to security when there is only one standard compiler. And, you still have the problem that WebAssembly has to implemented for each and every binary machine model, which is pretty much the same problem as having n code bases, just as with any abstract language to machine implementation as before. Very much like a safer (I use that word advisedly) clang, methinks.

I do believe this can be a net positive and as an example, I cite Rust. Same group of people. I've looked at it and it is a decent system programming language worthy of being the successor to C as I use C.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A dream to some - a nightmare to others

"But a write-once, run anywhere binary represents a worthwhile effort

"Or a security nightmare".

Actually both. Really good security militates powerfully and successfully against every desirable aspect of computing. Speed, flexibility, ease of use, user friendliness, cost effectiveness... security mows them all down pitilessly.

That's why so few decision-makers really want good security, no matter how much they feel obliged to jabber about it.

1. cat_mara

Re: A dream to some - a nightmare to others

I heard the title of your post in the voice of Pinhead from the Hellraiser films-- that can't be good...

"The binary... you executed it... we came... please, no tears, it's a waste of good suffering..."

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

As opposed to current experience in Java land, conjuring another legendary quip,

"Your suffering will be legendary, even in Hell"

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sorry, precisely the reverse and for a few reasons: (1) use of Bog-standard models, data structures and algorithms; (2) two-thirds or more of the engineering was spent in the design phase with thorough validation of the logics and maths (yes, there are more than one of each) used; (3) documented to death as per any engineering manual you'd ever run into and nothing was ever allowed to get out of sync; (4) whatever I came up with had to be supported by others who would come after me, or replace me in case I developed a severe case of being dead, this being the military/government service.

I was asked over the years to do these safety-critical designs as something aside from my regular job which was keeping safety-critical equipment in operation. The Navy spent an awful lot of money teaching me that. I was damned good at it with the evaluations to prove it. The side jobs were done because they were fun, not because I was paid for them or for any other reward. I take serious pride in building, it's everything about what I am.

Oh, the other third of the time, less about a twentieth, was spent observing and interviewing (in the anthropological sense, yes, really) the people that would be doing the work and in acceptance testing and tweaks to suit the new work flow. Their work flow. Funny but true, often they'd end up operating faster once they go accustomed to the security. They had assurance that mistakes would be caught, not allowed to propagate.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

It was a worthwhile effort with CLI, and JVM before that, and AND/F before that, and p-System before that...

Perhaps by now reinventing this particular wheel is not worth quite as much.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

a write-once, run anywhere binary

Whatever happened to UCSD p-code?

1. Blank Reg

Re: a write-once, run anywhere binary

Or ANDF

1. MacroRodent

> Or ANDF

Exactly: This sounds just like ANDF warmed over. I guess the major difference is in licensing. ANDF was specified in the days of the "Open Software Foundation", where "open" meant "anyone can license this for the same fee". Linux, and Free and Open Source software ate that particular lunch long ago.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or Flash <LOL>

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It upgraded to M-code (ETHZ), then D-code (QUT), and perhaps O-code.

3. Tom 7

What's a write-once run anywhere binary got to do with Java?

1. teknopaul

Presuming you're not being facetious... :)

Java .class files (binaries) are the same on different platforms. "Write once, run anywhere" was a Java mantra. Altho it didnt really work out as intended.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

What's a write-once run anywhere binary got to do with Java?

"write once, run anywhere" was Java's slogan in the early days. Soon changed to "write once, debug everywhere".

4. GrapeBunch

Circa 1979, there was also CBASIC, which produced p-code intermediaries. Ran great in a system with maxed-out RAM (64K). That was in CP/M 2. Later incarnations of the language, such as CB80, CB86, produced executables.

3. Denarius

If it happens

Long long time ago, (1980s) IBM and Apple ITIRC, had a project for compile once, run on any unix. Died to willful non-cooperation. Probably too hard at time but VM approach may allow it to work now. Any similarity in concept the the Rich Binary concept M$ is trying out ? Somehow I feel history is repeating. Orackle, M$ and now Moz all have similar competing approaches, no-one wins. Unless one of them kills Java, then all win. Orakle excepted, but who would care ?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: If it happens

Java's destined for a long decline thanks to Oracle. If Moz manage to make something slightly less terrible than Java without Oracle's licensing waiting to snare you then it's almost guaranteed to take off.

1. teknopaul

I would be happy to se any nonOracle alternative to.

Java in the browser died a long time ago.

Write once run anywhere is no longer important to Java. Java on the serveside, think Hadoop, does not need to be portable. I think Java will continue to exist for other reasons.

Im not sure why Mozilla thinks a good cross platform browser runtime would necessairly make waves serverside just because Java did.

One reason Java is big on the serverside is because it never crashes due to developer bugs & NPEs. If something open, C like, and typesafe came along with the same no-crash guarantee. I think it would stand a good chance agaist Java right now, even it required compilation on each platform.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
          WTF?

"One reason Java is big on the serverside is because it never crashes"

[Citation nee--no, wait, the phrase I'm looking for is "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof."

2. dajames

Java in the browser died a long time ago.

That was because of Quality of Implementation issues that led to it being a security nightmare -- that doesn't mean it was a bad idea.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

"Java in the browser died a long time ago."

"That was because of Quality of Implementation issues that led to it being a security nightmare -- that doesn't mean it was a bad idea."

You're correct in your first part. It also so happens that it would have been a bad idea. It would have been javascript on steroids. More leaky, less reliable if that can be imagined, and more difficult to write and debug. Oh, and by the way, even harder to audit for security. You think reading minified javascript is hard? Try compiled java. One layer removed from the stuff they can obfuscate.

In addition, this is one time when licensing is a really important point. I do not plan to have a massive JRE and, most likely, a JDK as well to fix other people's mistakes on every system to browse the web when I need to individually license them with oracle. Nor am I willing to accept every application coming with its own JRE and JDK blobs taking hundreds of megabytes each because they need to handle their own licenses and only work with a very specific version that was released 27 months ago but also includes API headers from releases from 28, 29, 30, 31, 33, 36, 41, and 46 months ago. On that topic, it would be fun to see the sites specifying their functioning java versions so you could go retrieve the JREs from the java.com and oracle.com mazes. If you browsed enough, eventually you'd get the full collection.

3. Mr Benny

Never crashes due to developer bugs? Are you serious? A execption stack dump and abort is a crash by any other name.

4. a_yank_lurker

There are a couple newish languages that are both C like and much more type safe than C: Go and Rust. The main reason Java is still big is the enterprise code base and Android apps. Java has notoriously bloated, verbose code which offends many programmers' sense of elegance.

Also, many conflate the JVM and development environment with Java the language. The JVM will probably be around for sometime as many languages use it. Java the language may start to wane as developers get familiar with other JVM languages such as Kotlin.

1. guyr

"Java has notoriously bloated, verbose code which offends many programmers' sense of elegance."

Don't know what you are referring to. I programmed professionally in Java for 20 years and never felt offended. Java has the same control structures as all C-like current languages. When you say bloated, are you referring to the library load pulled in by programs of any significance? Then you should compare to the full set of shared objects required to run, e.g., C/C++ executables.

1. Mr Benny

He's probably refering to the stupidly long names of java library functions. Eg in C the posix function to return the current directory is getcwd(). In Java it would probably be something like

System,getCurrentWorkingDirectoryForThisThread()

Its as bad as COBOL frankly. Then there's verbosity like "static public void main()". Why not just "void main()" and default the rest given that its almost ways the same?

1. Smartypantz

Verbose is your friend when revisiting code after years gone by. I'm loving verbose method names instead of smug, abbreviated smartassery.

Also.. You do know that "public static" actually means something right? For defaulting stuff. see previous sentence.

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

See Rust, pun intended, which has the same foundation by the name of Mozilla.

4. _LC_
    Pint

(+1) Spectre likes this

Spectre likes this

░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░░░░░░░░░

░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█░░░░░░░░

░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█░░░░░░░░

░░░░░░░░░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░

░░░░░░░░░█░░░░█░░░░░░░░

███████▄▄█░░░░░██████▄░░

▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░

▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░

▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░

▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░

▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░

▓▓▓▓▓▓█████░░░░░░░░░█░░

██████▀░░░░▀▀██████▀░░░░

1. Luke McCarthy

Re: (+1) Spectre likes this

WebAssembly binaries can be re-compiled easily to take in to account new Spectre mitigations as they are discovered. This isn't really possible in general with native binaries.

1. _LC_

Funny. If I recall it correctly, we already have two Spectre variants that CANNOT be mitigated like that. ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Facepalm

Yeah, but then again, that's not Java/binary/language dependant... it's CPU dependant. ;)

1. _LC_

Which means that only >95% will be affected. :-)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So 30 years (at least) on ...

and we are still reading about ideas for a "universal" code ?

I have a feeling in 2049, we'll be reading about a new idea for "write once, run anywhere" code ...

Surely, given the power of modern electronics, it's possible to define a rigid von Neumann architecture that can be implemented as a single VM, and code to that ?

1. ibmalone

Re: So 30 years (at least) on ...

Minecraft?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In 2049 we'll be hearing about the fancy new ideas about languages written specifically for specific architectures, rather than having the overhead of WORA binaries.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

In 2049 we'll probably be back to valve computers, because you can make thermionic valves, carbon resistors and paper capacitors in a small factory, which after the fall of civilisation is all we'll be able to manage.

(I won't be around to see it so this is purest speculation.)

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge

An x86 VM running on anything with QEMU probably fits the bill and there's loads of existing software out there, even complete operating systems.

The *real* problem is that "run anywhere" simply isn't possible as long as "anywhere" is taken to include all possible hardware from phones to supercomputers, 4-inch screens to multi-monitor or headless setups, and available storage varying from MB to TB. And that's before we consider the presence or absence of all the third-party software services that might define your "stack".

So ... you narrow down your platform definition to something that exists on all phone-like devices or all desktop-like devices, and you find that there is nearly always something missing that stops you writing interesting apps, so the only apps that can use your new universal platform are toys.

4. JLV
      Boffin

No, I think the point is that this targetting browsers. You can run C++ code in it, Rust.

Python has a proof of concept port to implement Python,’s VM on Rust (there are already C, Java and Python implementations of Python).

Now, they’ve turned around and put that RustPython on WASM and ... it works.

So a universally available portable VM, but the JS execution engines have barely grown in code size to accomodate WASM (<5% IIRC) so not that much new attack surface.

And... no more JS if you don’t like it. Static languages are, almost by definition, a better fit for WASM bytecode. Fast - this is a direct evolution of the JS asm tech that was running crosscompiled Doom C-code in a browser 5-6 years ago.

This is hot stuff.

1. Mr Benny

Itll be a seriously cut down version of C/C++ without much in the way of useful system functionality. Also itll be interesting to see how they deal with pointers, particularly function pointers and accessing the stack, the sort of low level details other sandboxed languages dont have.

1. JLV

If it’s in a browser it _shouldn’t_ get system-level access. I thought that’d be obvious.

1. Mr Benny

It is obvious, which is why I said as much. Can't you read? IMO it means there's little point using to the metal languages such as C & C++.

1. JLV

you use C for the typing, syntax and precision. and also for the speed WASM, which needs a static typed language, buys you. videogames, fast math...

Python on Rust on WASM isn’t, mostly about getting Python. It’s that you can support Python’s complex VM on WASM, in a useful fashion. which kinda shows that pointers (to WASM space) and esoteric “metal language” features can happen. even if system stuff is sandboxed. but this is still only for the browser.

the Java comparison is misleading. WASM is not a language at all. it’s _fast_ bytecode for the existing JS engines like V8 or Spidermonkey. but you get that bytecode via writing C++ or Rust. and the browser’s multimedia/compute/graphics and networked data is your OS/platform. but without using JS.

could you write Doom in JS? no. but C -> WASM -> Doom running well, yes.

1. Mr Benny

"buys you. videogames, fast math..."

Sure, you use C/C++ for speed - but you're going to lose that advantage if the code is simply compiled down to the same p-code as everything else that runs in that sandbox. And if you don't get the speed or the system level access then C really isn't a good choice of language (C++ maybe) , and I say this as a C++ dev.

"could you write Doom in JS? "

Actually you probably could these days, but I suspect the resulting code would be hideous.

1. JLV

blah blah blah

seriously, didn’t downvote you but you sound very certain of yourself.

https://medium.com/@torch2424/webassembly-is-fast-a-real-world-benchmark-of-webassembly-vs-es6-d85a23f8e193

now, neither of us need to take this as gospel, but this is early days, both in terms of the VM as in terms of bytecodes the transpilers feed to it

my knowledge of the subject matter is admittedly limited, but you seem to be operating at the “gosh, cant happen” level.

point is only that it’s potentially much faster than JS-in-browser. not that it’s faster than LLVM/GCC on bare metal. too bad both you and CB are too thick to grasp that no one’s contesting that bit.

but it’s also way _safer_ than random from-internet C/Java/Haskell code executing ouside of a browser sandbox. did you miss that too???

1. Mr Benny

"point is only that it’s potentially much faster than JS-in-browser. not that it’s faster than LLVM/GCC on bare metal. too bad both you and CB are too thick to grasp that no one’s contesting that bit."

Says the muppet who clearly doesn't understand the concept of virtual machines and why C/C++ is usually faster than other languages (clue - its because the binaries DO run on bare metal). I suggest you get a clue next time before you make a fool of yourself.

"but it’s also way _safer_ than random from-internet C/Java/Haskell code executing ouside of a browser sandbox. did you miss that too???"

Bloody hell Sherlock, there's no fooling you is there. Please, share with us more of your profound insights!

2. chololennon

"Also itll be interesting to see how they deal with pointers, particularly function pointers and accessing the stack, the sort of low level details other sandboxed languages dont have"

For a useful real world example you can see the implementation of EOS blockchain (https://github.com/EOSIO/eos). The blockchain has a webassembly virtual machine in which the smart contracts run. The smart contracts are written in standard C++17. The compiler is clang 7 that targets wasm (see the SDK: https://github.com/EOSIO/eosio.cdt).

2. Smartypantz

Its fantastic, we are sooo close to have re-invented the operating system (again)(in-a-browser) ;-)

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

that's because as with all such projects, the original projects gets about 60% feature complete before veering off into tangential features that no one uses and only the Devs ever care about. They then post proudly in what passes for documentation that implementing anything non-trivial is "left as an exercise to the reader"

Write once run anywhere is a failed idea for general purpose applications, and here's why:

1) You are always limited to the lowest common feature set for all supported platforms.

2) Some genius will still shoe horn stuff in forcing you to add a bunch of per platform exception testing at run-time.

3) Any change to any of the platforms can break the system, and potentially the WHOLE system.

4) Nobody tests all the supported platforms sufficiently, so what you wind up with is something that probably only runs on the Devs machine.

5) All above not withstanding, even if you manage to get it working, future requirements will probably drag you screaming into one of the above, or your customers will hound you asking for features or a user experience like your competitors native app.

Limiting it's usefulness for me to simple and short term projects. YMMV. If I gotta support it for a year or more, I'll spend the three extra days to break it to a native front end for the platforms I plan to test and support, and a back end library in Rust.

6. Zolko Silver badge

standards

The required xkcd citation: https://xkcd.com/927/

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deja vu

Re-read the articles about Java written twenty years ago... same promises.

1. Justin Case

Re: Deja vu

If I could upvote you 20 times, I would... round and round and round it goes.

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

The "Anywhere" part became a nightmare that destroyed many APIs. GUIs, audio, video, graphics bitmaps, and filesystems don't have any standardization between systems. Sun tried to fix this by abstracting the hell out of everything. This made APIs bloated, confusing, and incredibly slow. Just try rendering an affine transformed photo using Java - you have your choice between looking awful , rendering at about 100 pixels per second, or needing 20 pages of complex code to bypass the bad APIs.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"It is not worth while to try to keep history from repeating itself, for man's character will always make the preventing of the repetitions impossible".

- Mark Twain

In this specific instance, man's character tends to dictate that people hope to invent a Philosopher's Stone that turns lead into gold. They think mostly about the immediate problems of creating a system of universal portability, and hardly at all about the inherent problems - such as those of security - that will only become evident 10, 15 or 20 years later.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The point about a stone that turns lead into gold is that once you've got it, gold is worth no more than lead.

This is true of software, I think. Every improvement is met with new buggerations that reduce the utility to not much different from what it was before.

The only real magic is that the hardware gets better and cheaper.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

If we're going to try to build such a stone for computing, I suggest we try to unify hardware so you can run more things across it. We already know how to compile and run things on the operating systems that they made it to run on. Instead of trying to run the same thing on another operating system without alteration, let's make it easier to run the tested system on our devices. Either through less restrictive boot managers or better virtualization, we've proven that it can be done. If we could just distract the WORA people for a bit, we could make some real progress on write once, run system on anything [edit: most things] [edit: many things] [edit: so we only got as far as "some things" after all because hardware manufacturers pelted us with SOCs containing locked boot code until we ran away, but it's still wasted less time than WORA].

8. MacroRodent

vs Java

> "WebAssembly has been designed to scale from tiny devices to large server farms or CDNs; is much more language-agnostic than Java; and has a much smaller implementation footprint."

Hmm, Java does scale: is used on anything from mobiles to big iron. And WebAssembly will no longer have smaller footprint after it has caught up with JVM features...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Java does scale

Surely, it forces you to scale your hardware to accomodate its hungriness.. but you're right, everything starts "lean and sleek", and after some iterations you need 100 cores and four terabytes of RAM to serve a small department...

9. Dan 55 Silver badge

LLVM

Isn't most of the work done already with LLVM intermediate representation? Stick to POSIX (and Qt if necessary) in the code, distribute the IR with a compiler which compiles and installs it, and job done.

(Someone will tell me what I've missed...)

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: LLVM

(Someone will tell me what I've missed...)

from tiny devices to …

LLVM isn't going to fit on your smart watch/fitness monitor/IoT thing of the week.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

But it will fit onto the device it syncs to which can cross-compile.

2. ThomH

I believe LLVM IR embeds architecture-specific assumptions about alignment and byte ordering.

1. Phil Endecott

It’s quite likely that your source code embeds architecture-specific assumptions about byte-order and alignment (and word size etc.), even if you think it doesn’t. How often do you check if your code works big-endian?

10. Christian Berger

Well that problem has been solved decades ago...

... with both Posix and shipping your software as source code.

1. iron Silver badge

Re: Well that problem has been solved decades ago...

Because all users are just longing to compile their apps before the can use them.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Users already have to "install" apps, for some definition of "install", and some installers already take a very long time for no obvious reason, so users are already used to running an installer and going to make a cup of tea. (Well, this one is, at any rate. YMMV.)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

For just a limited subset of applications.... just like Java.

What, for example, about POSIX and a GUI application?

11. Fungus Bob
    Devil

I'm looking forward to...

Web Assembly System Advanced Binary Interface (WASABI). That'll be the next hot thing to come along...

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: I'm looking forward to...

Take your upvote, you Bastard.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm looking forward to...

On that note:

Wasabi - A dynamic analysis framework for WebAssembly programs

Alternatively:

Wasabi - A WebAssembly runtime designed for multitenancy

12. TheGreatCabbage

Kotlin

I see nobody's mentioned that Kotlin can compile to WebAssembly (in addition to Java bytecode, native binaries and JS).

Kotlin is a beautiful language and hopefully WebAssembly will help it to gain traction outside the Android world.

13. devTrail

Back to Java

The Java sandbox was breached several times, but given the complexity it was relatively safe, all the equivalent technologies proved to be much weaker. Nonetheless a drumming campaign and a strong vested interests managed to kill the applets in favour of HTML 5. The users ended up being plagued by tracking cookies, super cookies, cross-site scripting, spectre plus other scripting attaks, code injection and so on.

Now even though they say they want to do something better (which I doubt given the amount of resources available) they are admitting that that one was the best approach.

14. cmaurand

What could possibly go wrong? This is a security problem, especially if the libraries included with the package are out of date, or worse, hacked. This is a solution looking for a problem and it creates a raft more. Even worse, it's another example of trying add in yet another layer to kill performance.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like