back to article Microsoft reckons the accursed Windows 10 October 2018 Update is finally fit for business

Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 10 1809, aka the Update of the Damned, is now ready for "broad deployment." The announcement – which comes mere weeks before the next version of Windows 10, 19H1, is expected to put in an appearance – means that the Operating System update is ready to be unleashed on businesses. Handy, …

1. Martin hepworth

WSUS/SCCM

So that fact they pushed it out to WSUS in November doesnt count then?

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: WSUS/SCCM

Anyone running WSUS/SCCM managed machines who just auto-approves every single update and pushes it straight out to production deserve everything they get.

If you don't have a "Testing" group with a handful of imaged-up PC's on it within your WSUS, and "Approve" to them first, you really have nobody else to blame when things go wrong. We already *know* that Microsoft won't take the blame, or act in a timely manner, as shown here.

At least you have the option to revoke approval for the dodginess, though. Home users are stuffed.

1. Mark 85

Home users are the "test" department as they seem to scream less. Or are maybe easier to ignore.

2. Danny 14

they did yes, but that was for those who probably started 1809 before it was yanked. However this release effecting says feature update is CBB ready. My WSUS lists it as "1809 2019-03B" as opposed to the 1809 in nov. The 2019-03B supersedes the latter but doesn't seem to be a different size.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Trollface

There should be a 'Frustration' channel

for forced updates like this one has been

I suppose other channel names, such as 'Agony', 'Bend Over', and 'What, AGAIN?' would do as well...

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: There should be a 'Frustration' channel

The image that really comes to mind is an incompetent prostitute, you get screwed without the benefit of getting laid.

3. notamole

Are bookmakers putting out odds on the spring update yet?

1. Daniel von Asmuth
      Facepalm

Windows Delayed Update

End of March is now. Will Redmond release this version on April 1?

4. Snake Silver badge

The update has been more a problem to get installed rather than in-code bugs. I have updated 5 Win10 systems to 1809 and installation failed multiple times on 3 of them; it took most of an afternoon on each to get 1809 to finally "stick". On one unit in order to get the 1809 update I had to do a full download of the upgrade and implement a full off-line install, on the other I was *this close* to doing the same but the *third* installation attempt was finally successful (and the installation attempts each take quite a while).

So Microsoft needs to figure out rollout issues, for judging from my experience it is the most difficult part of the 1809 equation.

1. Timmy B

Re: 1809

"The update has been more a problem to get installed rather than in-code bugs"

It's odd - I've done 9 Pcs to 1809 and not one of them had the issue. I wonder if this could be tied down to manufacturer? I've got MS (surface), Dell and Lenovo here. What about you?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I've done 9 Pcs to 1809 and not one of them had the issue"

Don't say things like that. You're just lining yourself up in Murphy's sights for the next update.

2. Snake Silver badge

All Dell units and I've just recounted, it has been six: four laptops, one desktop, and one tablet.

Glad to hear that your updates worked so well for you! I'm keeping both a DVD and a SD card of 1809 on standby for further, future install problems just in case.

3. david 64

I must be lucky. We have done scores of Dells. A handful of manual upgrades from ISO. The rest via WSUS. Many via WSUS with 3rd part full disk encryption active (McAfee). So far so good.... I will count my blessings.

1. Danny 14

We rolled 1809-2019-03B to a room of 30 machines on Friday via WSUS without issue, this was a far cry from the November update which barfed on the same 30 machines (before rolling back automatically). We also rolled out 15 machine via PDQ and the 1809 ENT ISO (VL) running the /auto update switch, all these worked also. The plan is to roll 1809 to a further 500 machines next week - im happy to use WSUS for this.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SAC of Shite

is what I would call most Win10 releases.

6. Dwarf

How much is it costing the companies ???

And they wonder why people want control of when and how to deploy updates on their machines.

I wonder how much businesses have lost (real hard currency affecting their bottom line) with all the forced updates that break things ?

Not every company has a full time IT person, but the impact is the same, they are not home users, but are treated as so by the MS "big corporate" and "everyone else" views..

1. whitepines

Re: How much is it costing the companies ???

How much is it costing the companies

Not enough. Or rather, the bill hasn't lighted on the right desk (read: C suite) and the "constant IT problems" are being "fixed" with a constant parade of replacement personell or contractors for now.

When the bill does reach the right level, goodbye Microsoft...they seem to be betting they can manage damage at that level but eventually even they will have to answer to the board in larger corps (as in, pay up or get replaced)

1. Danny 14

Re: How much is it costing the companies ???

It costs us no more that it used to. We initially installed 1511, then WSUS'd to 1709 a couple of years later, now we are going to 1809 a couple of years later. A 2 year OS update is no more than we did with XP->W7 then W7 SP1, then 8.1 now 10. I suppose that if you keep to the 6 month update and have to fix the bugs then I feel sorry for you.

The REALLY frightening thing is that there is apparently a server channel that runs the same 6 month updates. Jesus, I feel for those people who effectively do an inplace update on their server every 6 months!

7. TheWeddingPhotographer

It just wont instal

If it wont install.it wont be adopted

If you need an it team to make it install, it's a failure

1. MonkeyJuice

Re: It just wont instal

Or the universe is protecting you.

2. Hans 1

Re: It just wont instal

Deactivate developer mode, that did it for me ;-)

In any case, read the update logs to figure out what is failing for you, that is what I did ... I think I used:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/windows-update-logs

Then google for the "too many to mention" errors I got ...

8. adnim

I will consider it fit

for my laptop in a few months... perhaps

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: I will consider it fit

I will consider turning on my W10 VM in a few weeks if nothing too untoward appears in these pages, so low is the level of trust in MS now.

Does Dave Cutler still work for MS?

1. whitepines

Re: I will consider it fit

The VM that runs a certain crappy, soon to be replaced with free software, Windows-only software package was locked to an older (barely working) W10 build a long time ago, then firewalled into oblivion. There it will stay, unloved, unactivated, and unupdated until it can finally be purged at some point.

How far Microsoft has fallen!

9. MonkeyJuice

Did MS change their process yet?

Is their any evidence Microsoft has rehired more QA staff, or are they just locking the remaining 5 in the office over the weekend?

Certainly looking at the facepalm inducing but otherwise increasingly irrelevant electron rewrite of Skype, the answer is no.

Curious what evidence exists to suggest Microsoft quality hasn't dropped back to 2000's vintage. Rather like Apple. Anyone got a Linux dvd I can borrow?

10. Hans 1
    Windows

Am I the only one for whom 19H1 reads like a virus strain, influenza H1, spreading in the 19th century ?

11. N2

never be fit for business

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.”

Until that and all the spyware and adverts are permanently removed

12. DerekCurrie
    Meh

OMFG: Beta-test Before Releasing Please

I wish I could say Apple wasn't suffering from their own OS malaise. 10.14.4 remains less than pleasing.

13. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

My Win7 machine is still running along like clockwork. Updates were turned off the minute M$ announced a new version. That is all.

14. Howard Hanek
    Happy

Another Guiness Record

....for the number of software engineers working the longest to create a mudpie.

15. Quentintheflorid

Sensible Naming

I'm sure this must have been pointed out before, but why does 19H1 immediately remind me of H1N1 - the flu virus?

16. Kayla77

Good Info Support

This is very useful site for know about microsoft windows.

Thanks

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like