back to article Stop us if you're getting deja-vu: Uber used spyware to nobble dial-a-ride rival, this time Down Under, allegedly

Uber has once again been accused of using spyware tools to help it undermine a competing business. This time, it is Australia's taxi-hailing GoCatch claiming that the San Francisco-based dial-a-ride giant had been using shady tools to track its drivers in an attempt to hire them away and starve competitors of workers. …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

I dislike using taxis

But I'll never use an Uber.

1. Nathan 13

Re: I dislike using taxis

There are not many companies I will NEVER EVER use, but Uber is one of them!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Uber ? Misbehaving ? I don't believe it.

Really, I just can't imagine Uber doing anything unprincipled, ever.

Always be sure to congratulate those you see using Uber on their wisdom.

There are still plenty out there who like to announce their booking, whilst wearing smug and supercilious grins, somehow imagining themselves to be in the vanguard, the cutting edge of now.

They're helping to build a better world for all of us, and I mean that most sincerely folks.

3. whitepines
    WTF?

Uber devs allegedly compromised GoCatch systems, and installed a tool dubbed Surfcam

That's called a virus. If true, this should lead to the devs and their bosses that signed off on it (up to the C-suite if necessary) going to jail. I thought the FBI tended to prefer raids when organized computer crime was discovered? Maybe a pre-dawn heavily armed visit to Uber headquarters and CEO/CIO homes is warranted?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Love it!

What a cracking idea!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Kill one man.

"And you are a criminal. Kill a million, and you are a hero"

That phrase springs to mind here. They raid others for doing it, but a company, they'd just ask for their cut of the profits (See Sonys Rootkit).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spots, leopard, not surprised..

As above :).

It appears Internet companies of US origin just can't help their attitude that laws are only there to slow down the competition.

Personally I hope that if this gets proven they simply get a national ban for two years, that will hurt more than a fine as it also allows the competition to gain market coverage.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Spots, leopard, if proven

IMO if proven they should be banned as there are lots of options when it comes to ride sharing and cabs.

Allowing international competition should always come with a zero tolerance agreement regarding criminal activity. That does result in home court advantage but why apologize for that? Most Nations put their interests first, it's best when we all do.

5. The Central Scrutinizer

The most hilarious aspect

Was the spokeswoman trying to hose down the questions from the interviewer. That was before my time, it's no longer used, etc.

Geez I love Four Corners. Great investigative journalism decade after decade.

Uber... here today, gone tomorrow, hopefully.

6. Andytug

Surely this is their USP, isn't it?

Using digital tech and apps to disrupt the established players in a market and so lead to $profit?

7. vtcodger Silver badge

Captain Renault rides again

I am shocked, shocked to find that Uber is accused of engaging in suspect business practices.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great ethics from Uber, as usual.

They're an absolute and total shower with no moral fibre whatsoever. Hope the business collapses.

9. Phage

Dumpster Fire

When you add in their sexual harassment and bullying culture, total lack of business ethics in less regulated markets like India, and their denials of being hacked, I cannot understand why anyone would touch this company even with someone else's 10' pole.

10. Spudley

"We're going to clean up our act," they said. "We're going to stop all the dodgy shenanigans," they said.

"Stop us if you've heard this before," the headlines still say.

So, uh, yeah Uber. That's right, I don't trust you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like