back to article Facebook spams social networkers with phishy email

Facebook has taken the unusual step of sending its users email asking them to click on a link so they can restore site configuration settings that were recently lost. Facebook isn't kidding, and neither are we. "Unfortunately, the settings that control which email notifications get sent to you were lost," the email says. "We' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So what

Shit face site admins probably come from the facebook gene pool. Nothing to see here.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Oh wait....

...it's only Facebook.

I thought it might be important.

IMHO, if you are a Facebook (et al) user, you are already owned by the spamz!

3. Gordon Henderson
    Thumb Down

My Bank now wants to send me email too..

PratWest.

Checking my account online yesterday to be greeted with a message that they want to stop ending me statements in he post, and instead send me an email to let me know to go online to check my statements... They just don't get it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Eh?

"That's because Facebook is one bigger targets of phishers."

I've read this sentence a Several of times and still have no idea what it means.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Sage Have Just Done It As Well!

Sage have just sent out an email about the VAT rate changes, asking people to click on one of two links for more information. Worse still, the links don't even go to a Sage URL. They go to ones at ukimages.images11.com, which then redirect to locations at www.sage.co.uk - an invitation to get filtered out as a phishing attack!

6. Dr. E. Amweaver
    Paris Hilton

Not the only one...

I've been repeatedly warned by Lloyds TSB that they've sent me no genuine emails in the last three weeks, as they seem to be having something of a spam storm.

So on receiving spam from Lloyds TSB PrivacyGuard, I duly reported it - and got politely told to bog off because that one was genuine, although it was from a sister company.

Frankly, if a FRAUD PREVENTION unit of my bank - whether a direct report or a trading partner is sending out suspiciously phishy emails when they're telling me they're not... time to break out the LARTS in their security department?

(That'd be the perfect way of doing it just too... "hey, tovarisch, you can have all your details protected in proper Siberian salt mine- just tell us them all and sign up now at LTSB.RUSSIAN.BIZ.NET..." It's irony on a basic level, but I'd get a hoot out of it)

Paris justification: she knows all about privacy issues.

7. IanKRolfe
    Happy

Speaking as a facebook user...

I'm enjoying not receiving the notifications, so I'd not be clicking the link!!

8. EdwardP

Time to...

...start phishing for Facebook accounts.

Except...why would anybody want to steal a random facebook account?

9. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Wow. Just wow.

I've made some crazy mistakes in my time, but this one really takes the cake.

Well, at least now it's official : Facebook has absolutely no credibility anymore. From foisting unwanted apps to sending official spam mail, Facebook is now a haven for hardened criminals and their future victims.

If you're in it, get out of it while you can.

10. Phil Endecott

Bank phone calls

Them: "Hello, I'm calling from the security department of your bank. Please can you tell me your security code?"

Me: "Bog off".

11. Fred

Banks too

Even worse, I've had my bank (First Direct) call me and then ask for some security details to confirm who I am!

I know it was genuine as I recognised the voice of someone I'd recently been speaking to and was expecting a call. Obviously, I still insisted on phoning them back.

12. Jason

@Phil

I ask them random Questions..

That really throws them

13. Simon Neill

I just got mine....

...thats right, its friday and they are still sending them. Check out the return address:

root+oghhf=pe@facebookmail.com

If that doesn't scream spam to you, you will soon have no passwords left.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like