back to article Science says death metal fans delightful and intelligent people, great at dinner parties

In a shocking turn of events, boffins have used the power of science to determine that, generally speaking, death metal fans don't actually want to rip off your head and shit down your neck. Exploring the emotional effects of music, the team from Macquarie University in Sydney, Oz, pitted the extreme metal subgenre against …

1. Huw D

I asked the manager of my usual punk/rock/metal bar why he looked so grumpy when his music of choice was supposed to make him joyous.

Trapped wind, apparently.

2. Chris G

On the one hand

You have music that contains lyrics about puke and on the other, you have music that makes you want to puke.

Too much Sunshine pop will reduce listeners to thr mental vacuity of Ken a Barby.

When working out I like to listen to Industrial Speedcore.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: On the one hand

For some reason, when I'm coding in C and assembler my brain functions better if I've got mid to late '70s Punk playing not quite loud enough to annoy SWMBO enough to threaten to rip off my head & shit down my neck.

No, she's not a fan of Death Metal, but she'll put up with it. Thankfully, she hates sunshine pop ...

2. Huw D
      Devil

I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world. Life in plastic, it's fantastic...

Go on, get that out of your head. :D

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Go on, get that out of your head. :D"

Thanks ... now Everything is Awesome! (*)

(*) recently when googling for audio of this to annoy my 18 year-old son I came across an article about the writing of "Everything is Aweseome" where the song-writer was in the middle of a very messy divorce when he wrote it and far from being the happy upbeat song everyone thinks it is the lyrics were written to be deeply sarcastic!

1. Aladdin Sane

I don't think anybody is capable of writing "Everything is cool when you're part of a team" without any level of snark.

1. Omgwtfbbqtime

Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Mushroom, Mushroom!

1. Swarthy

Minamina

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Given its context in the film, I'd think it would be relatively clear to viewers with a decent capacity for critical thought to realize "Everything is Awesome" is meant to be at least thoroughly tongue-in-cheek, if not entirely sarcastic.

I realize that likely escapes most younger viewers, but I'd hope many of the adults would recognize that as the straightforward interpretation.

2. Pen-y-gors

I preferred the Goodness Gracious Me version - "I'm a Punjabi Girl, in a Punjabi World..."

3. MrDamage Silver badge

I see your Barbie World, and raise you

Gandalf Style.

4. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

"I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world. Life in plastic, it's fantastic..."

"Go on, get that out of your head. :D"

Easy. All I need is A Little Piece of Heaven

3. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

@Chris G. 'Sunshine Pop',....

Few things will make me reach for the off button on the radio, faster than 'Walking on Sunshine' or 'Perfect'. Amazing how fast I can move while retching.

1. Tom 7

I can move fast for that, I can go into warp drive when I forget to reset channels and my alarm radio comes on with the Today program,

1. BebopWeBop

Yes and unbelievably it has dropped in quality something I did not think possible after the first few months of Sands taking editorship.

On a side note, Private Eye had a short piece noting the absence of coverage on the Today program regarding the charity commissions findings on the late unlamented 'Garden Bridge' project - beloved of Sands, Johnson and Lumley and few others. The suggested that of course it was nothing to do with her loud support for it while editor of a daily newspaper in a previous life and her role as editor.

3. jake Silver badge

Observation.

"death metal fans don't actually want to rip off your head and shit down your neck."

This is true for many values of "your" ... but as we all know, there's one in every crowd.

As a side note, why do none of the "$THING is brainwashing our yoof" set go on and on about random acts of comedy after some kid binge-watches a weekend's worth of sitcoms?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Observation.

"death metal fans don't actually want to rip off your head and shit down your neck."

Barry Manilow fans, on the other hand...

1. Chris G

Barry Manilow, Val Doonican and the Birdie Song, all heavy contributors to the downfall of the human race!

Alternatively listen to a band like Disturbed who have genuine talent and you will feel better, the thoughts of assassinating Barry Manilow slip away.

1. joeW

> a band like Disturbed

We're discussing Death Metal, not pop music ;)

2. Omgwtfbbqtime
      Pirate

For me it mostly depends on whether or not I have had coffee yet.

3. DeeCee

i often want to rip off peoples heads and shit down their necks, but that is more connected to working with clients/stupid people, watching news and traffic, not my taste of music

4. msknight

Free Thinkers

Personally, I find people who listen outside the mainstream, are more likely to be independent free thinkers rather than sheep... and make good conversation at the dinner table... whereas sheep on the other hand, tend to be served up on said dinner table :-D ... statistically speaking, of course.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Free Thinkers

Meatloaf for supper again?

1. Nolveys

Oh, Rocky!

1. Omgwtfbbqtime

He doesn't get it?

2. hplasm

Dr Scott!

1. BebopWeBop

Where is Brad when you need him?

1. Is It Me

With Janet of course

1. John G Imrie

I thought Brad was with Frank

2. }{amis}{
      Devil

I think you vastly are underestimating the number of people who get involved in <Insert subculture of choice here> solely to give them a better chance of getting into somebody else's underwear.

1. jake Silver badge

Yeahbut ... pretending to like sunshine pop? Even for sex ... There are some lows that a human shouldn't stoop to.

1. seven of five

Certainly. And dead girls don´t say no anyway.

1. Rich 11

Though they've been known to complain once you resurrect them.

"Call that a shag? I didn't feel a thing."

2. MrDamage Silver badge

The ignorant villagers keep throwing around words like "foul necromancer" and threaten to burn my castle down.

Can't they just leave a guy to raise a family in peace?

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Happily, uth Igorth will alwayth be ready to athitht, thpethially when there are thome good thunderthtorms around

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I think you vastly are underestimating the number of people who get involved in <Insert subculture of choice here> solely to give them a better chance of getting into somebody else's underwear.

Particularly those who get into the subculture of wearing other people's underwear. Efficiency!

3. Tom 7

Sort of, I know a lot of non-mainstream listeners who are the sheep of their own peer-group. I think I was as a yoof. Now I can freely hate everything!

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

sheep on the other hand, tend to be served up on said dinner table

Not in my house they don't[1] - I can't stand the taste (or smell while cooking) of lamb.

T'missus, on the gripping hand, quite likes a well-cooked lamb shank - so we compromise. She buys a pre-cooked one from a reputable supermarket and heats it up while I cover the smell by eating curry. It's a win/win.

[1] Except in cat food. But I suspect that the proportion of sheel protein is quite low compared to a lamb joint..

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've found metal and hard rock fans to quite a nice bunch in my experience, quite a few also have a penchant for some types of dance music and vice versa with people that like dance music. It probably down to the amount of drugs both groups do to be fair though.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Recently Keith Flint died, and he straddled both the dance music and punk genres, playing at the first Download festival ( a metal festival) with his side project 'Flint'. All reports suggest that off stage he was warm, chatty and supportive of everybody - a nice guy.

2. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

@AC

Spot on, I'm a metal fan, and a mate of mine, also a metal fan, is an accountant for entertainment and media types (some names, but I won't drop them). In the 90s, he managed a few bands, and promoted events, and I crewed quite a few dance events, mostly tribal techno, and I bloody loved it.

3. Mooseman Silver badge

I spent many Friday nights at a rock and metal club in my youth. Most of the clientele looked like they'd rip your head off and crap down your throat, but were the nicest guys ( and girls) you could meet. there was rarely any aggro, anyone causing problems was dealt with. The trendy nightclub round the corner had regular fights spilling out on to the road, police squad cars in attendance, punters lying in the gutters either passed out drunk or thumped.

4. Mog_X

Metal fans do tend to be well behaved, despite the perceived view. The main rule at a concert where a pit forms is 'if they fall down, pick them up'.

Also something a Tube employee said to our group when we were off to see Slayer at Brixton Academy a few years back - "there are 'band hoodies' and 'brand hoodies' - we never have problems with the former"

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Metal fans do tend to be well behaved

As do prog fans. I suspect that both groups will have a tendancy to drink more than their bodys weight in beer over the course of a weekend though.

1. Mark 85
          Pint

I suspect that both groups will have a tendancy to drink more than their bodys weight in beer over the course of a weekend though.

I don't see a problem there....

6. Steve Button Silver badge

Musically...

I prefer the Pharell Williams song. That death metal is utter noise. Give me some Metallica, Led Zep, Queens of the Stone age, even Rammstein or Korn. But slide the scale up to Venom and Slayer and to my ears it's tuneless, artless, not very imaginitive, lyrically challenged, etc.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Musically...

Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age and John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin play in a band, Them Crooked Vultures, with Dave Grohl of Nirvana and Foo Fighters fame. Dave Grohl also has a death metal band called Probot - presumably because he loves it.

But yeah, I suspect my musical tastes are more in line with yours, but I've always found punks, rockers, death metallers et al to be friendly folk.

Venom and Slayer aren't really Death Metal,... Venom would be Black Metal, and Slayer Thrash Metal. Now, yes there are cross overs and it's all differents shades of Black. But 'Ride the Lightning' by Metallica could be considered an early 'Death Metal' album.

That Pharell song is drek, either way.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

Those Rolling Stones are all noise. I don't know how you can listen to this din.

( Sorry, I happen to agree with you )

4. joeW

You might enjoy some symphonic or melodic death metal. Give it a go anyway.

1. AIBailey

I can highly recommend something like Opeth if you want to expend your horizons. Considered prog-metal, they do incorporate death metal elements, whilst being incredibly varied.

Ghost Reveries would be my starting album of choice.

1. Kevin Lomax

Heck yeah! Or Watershed...or Blackwater Park...or Damnation...anything really!

Also I recommend angL by Ishahn if you want progressive black metal (i.e. has melody and intelligible lyrics!)

Once went to see David Lee Roth back in the 80s (OK that's hair metal rather than death metal) at Birmingham NEC. Had a chat to the security guys for the venue and asked "do you ever get trouble at the metal shows"?

Their answer - "nah, metal fans are just here for the music. We had a massive punch up last week at a Chris de Burgh show though..." !!!

1. Rich 11

"We had a massive punch up last week at a Chris de Burgh show though..."

That would have been all the blokes trampling over each other to get out the exits the moment they realised what their girlfriends had bought them date night tickets for.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

recommend something like Opeth

Seconded. Although I'd probably start with Pale Communion (and not just becuase that's the one on my current playlist).

3. the Jim bloke
          Devil

stylistically, I dont believe in death metal.. on the other hand BLACK metal - originally the satanic flavour of the art - is actually an extremely diverse and welcoming field. As long as you diss Christianity, you are part of the family, so all the original "wah-wah-we-love-beelzebub" crowd trying to get into some teenage chickies panties now have to share with pagan and world music, spiritual ambient,.. it's where prog rock went to hide.

.. or you could go by wikipedias definition, where black has higher pitched screaming versus death metal.

symphonic or melodic death metal

Or prog-metal (Dream Theater et. al.). I tend to get bored by regular metal and really, really can't stand cookie-monster style vocals.

5. Dr Dan Holdsworth
      Pirate

I'd say that a good, long dose of Nightwish ought to help out here.

1. Edoc Relbmessa

Nightwish is awesome except for that imaginarium album where they forgot to include the metal.

2. Rich 11

Can't upvote Nightwish enough. Even Imaginarium!

Can't upvote Nightwish enough. Even Imaginarium!

Indeed - although I do wish that they would manage to hang onto a vocalist for more than one or two albums..

1. Rich 11

I look at Anette as the anomaly. Normal service is currently being resumed, though with five years between studio albums it'll take a while to be sure.

3. MrDamage Silver badge

I can also recommend Ancient Bards.

Symphonic metal group from Italy, and they are telling the "Story of the Black Crystal Sword" over the course of their 4 albums. Only got the first 3 so far, picking up the 4th when I go into town in the coming weeks.

Sample: Through my Veins

7. pavel.petrman

Not surprising

My experience is that people who listen to gory metal (or are outright fans or even take active part in production thereof) usually listen to all sorts of other things and are generally more accepting and more open to new and different things and views. Whereas fans of sterile pop usually listen to sterile pop only.

I run into metal guys quite often in the theatre or opera, into pop people not quite so often. So those saying that violent music brainwashes you or makes you violent basically sound to me like telling opera or classical theatre might as well cause the same, which thought is of course utterly ridiculous to those who say violent music does it for certain.

1. tony2heads

Re: Not surprising

Which operas?

Maybe Don Giovanni where the dead (in the form of a statue) come to life and the anti-hero gets dragged off to hell by demons.

I also remember that some bands use the Dance of the Knights (alias Montagues and Capulets) from Prokofiev's opera Romeo and Juliet as walk-on music, so this metal+opera link seems real.

1. T. F. M. Reader

Prokofiev's opera Romeo and Juliet

Mmm... <pedantic>That's a ballet, actually...</pedantic> But that does not invalidate the argument at all.

My go-to example of opera and other types of music mixed together is Verdi's Anvil Chorus (Coro di zingari in the original) from the 2nd act of Il trovatore that has been reused almost in every genre imaginable. From big band jazz (Glenn Miller) to Marx Brothers to Muppets to, indeed, metal. Hell, there was at least one metal band called Anvil Chorus, an album of this name, etc.

[DIsclaimer: I am not an expert on metal history although I listened to some of it way back then. I just googled "anvil chorus metal" and references popped up.]

More than once I heard or read criticism of this particular creation of Verdi's on the grounds that it is rather low brow because it resembles something popular, hence "plebeian", too much. Little do the critics know where that "low brow" music really comes from...

2. Kevin Lomax

"the dead (in the form of a statue) come to life and the anti-hero gets dragged off to hell by demons"

Sounds pretty darn metal to me...

3. Rich 11

There've been a number of times over the years when I've answered the questions on classical music in pub quizzes and the people around the table have looked at me in shock. My stock response is, "I know a look more Motorhead than Mozart, but that doesn't mean I'm pig-ignorant."

1. Rich 11

D'oh!

I know I look

Not a day when I can type or proofread...

2. Chris G

Speaking of Motorhead, my brother and I were.on the door at one of their first gigs in London at the Saxon Tavern the in the '70s.

Lemmy and the band were as nice as pie, the only trouble we had were fans who were so far out of it on barbs they kept falling down the stairs.

1. Rich 11

Lucky for me that wasn't the club where I, um, acquired a souvenir stack of all 250 collected tickets from the box office after the gig, else I expect you and your brother would have kicked me into the middle of next week!

I think I swapped numbers 201-250 with a mate for one of Philthy's drumsticks, but after all this time I can't clearly remember.

@Pavel.Petrman

I'm a metal fan, and I've been to the opera more times that I've been to football matches. IE, I've been to the opera several times, and football,.... never.

Back in the day, I used to know some of the guys from the band 'Sabbat', the lead singer, Martin Walkyier had opera singing lessons to improve and extend his range.

1. Matt 43

Huh, I like Sabbat but I've never heard Walkyier do anything other than harsh death-style vocals (except that one interlude on Dreamweaver).

1. Kuang

He sang with Skyclad (folk-metal) where his tone often crept closer to some sort of creepy Dickensian Narrator :) 'Earth Mother, The Sun and the Furious Host' is a great example.

1. Big_Boomer Silver badge

Skyclads violinist Fritha was a super hot fiddler, in so many ways. :-)

2. Huw D

I used to work with Fraser Craske's dad...

3. holmegm

Good thing those are the only two choices - life might get complicated otherwise!

(Snarking more at the study, not you.)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Context please.

"I've only wanted to brutally murder my colleagues a couple of times."

Is that more or less than usual?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Context please.

Wanting to do so is normal, actually doing so isn't.

Apparently it's to do with the invention of captital punishment in hunter gatherer tribes weeding out the genes for being an unmitigated jerk. Humans don't fly off the handle nearly as often as chimpanzees.

1. Semtex451

"weeding out the genes for being an unmitigated jerk"

Looking around, I'd say something went very wrong with that plan.

Snivilisation

Snivilisation

But, on the upside, people like me would have died before birth in a less medically-advanced world

(Rhesus incompatibiliy isn't fun - having to be born 6 weeks early by emergency c-section and given a whole blood replacement wasn't the best start. Mind you, that was 50+ years ago..)

2. lee harvey osmond

Well, yes. I don't understand it at all.

We don't have music in this office, I want to brutally murder most of my colleagues much of the time, and as soon as I broach this tricky subject, I get told to go and see the HR manager; and he's not even top of my list

1. Rudolph Hucker the Third
        Windows

Par for the course when you can no longer tell the difference between the inmates and the staff. And that's just in the Day Job Office!

9. Teiwaz

insane laughter...

When you hear death metal when not in the mood for it, it's merely a racket your brain refuses to process, contrarily when you hear a jaunty happy upbeat track when not in the right receptive mood, it's a smarmy get, rubbing your nose in the putrid excrement of your own lousy life.

If you are unfortunate enough to have said latter track stuck in your head, like the band, in all their smirky annoyingness have set up a studio in the spare bedroom of your mind and are on a constant repeat like a particularly tactless radio station well paid to make a single a hit.

At that point, you've no choice but to start imagining violent imagery. I've generally had good results from imagining gunning down the band members with a 30's style tommy gun, often puts a stop to musical repeats.

10. Tim99 Silver badge

Two kinds of music

"There are only two kinds of music - good music and bad music” attributed to Rossini, Duke Ellington, and Louis Armstrong. Armstrong said he liked the good kind.

The good kind that helped when I coded varied from Gregorian plainchant to Hendrix...

1. Tom 7

Re: Two kinds of music

Na - its "Country" and "Western"!

1. Tim99 Silver badge

I’ve got the original Frankie Laine version.

2. FozzyBear

We have both kinds here

11. Metalhed666
    Thumb Up

OMFG factually-accurate death metal references!

The mainstream media for years has been saying things like 'death metal band Marilyn Manson banned from performing' - Marilyn Manson is soooo not death metal! Gratz to El Reg for listing ACTUAL death metal bands! Bravo!

1. jake Silver badge

Re: OMFG factually-accurate death metal references!

Marilyn Manson is just a pale, sad imitation of Alice Cooper.

1. Huw D

I've had the displeasure for working local crew for Brian Warner.

The man is a complete cockwomble.

2. drawoC esuomynonA

Manson isn't even that good.

I've seen both and Manson annoyed the hell out of me by announcing the title of every song before performing it, it's not like the audience haven't already heard them you annoying git! To be honest I was there for Rob Zombie anyway, who put on an amazing show.

Alice on the other hand... I've seen a lot of acts but I recently saw him with Hollywood Vampires (inc. Joe Perry and Johnny Depp) and I have never seen the rest of the band, stage etc so completely become merely background to the main artist - he owned that stage from the moment he walked on, not bad for a guy in his seventies.

People talk about "stage presence" - he has it in absolute abundance, if there was any way of converting it to electricity we could likely shut down every power station on the planet.

The strangest thing about all this? I'm not even a big Alice fan, only ever bought one of his albums back in the nineties.

1. FozzyBear
          Gimp

Alice Coopers shows cannot be considered concerts. They are more akin to musical theatre. Yet that description pales in comparison to the performances.

I still remember an interview with Alice when he was asked about Mason. His response

The guy has a girls name, he puts on makeup, sings and has a theatrical show. Wonder where I've seen that before....

12. hammarbtyp

Its all an act

I live close to a site of major heavy rock festival. During the 4 days we often have festival goers pop into town for breakfast, beer (and quite often unfortunately wellies and new rain coats).

Generally they are really nice bunch of people, who cause far less trouble than the usual Friday night lot and are a pleasure to be around. However this is because the average heavy metal fan nowadays seems to be roughly 40-50, and are often here to take time off from their family responsibilities, relive their youth and let their hair down (those who have any left).

While initially intimidating, once you dig past the thin veneer of leather, chains, dog collars and offensive t-shirts, you find IT technicians, middle ranking managers, shoe salesmen etc. They are as likely to cause issues as you average COS play super villain is to blow up the universe.

(Disclaimer - I have no direct evidence on the behavior of Pharrell Williams fans, its just that generally most of the people who are happy all the time seem only one step away from either joining a cult or serious mental breakdown)

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Its all an act

"the people who are happy all the time seem only one step away from either joining a cult or serious mental breakdown)"

We tend to refer to them as the "Terminally Enthusiastic".

13. Semtex451

"most of the people who are happy all the time".. are idiots

FTFY

14. Big_Boomer Silver badge

Carcass had the most disgusting song titles

Yes, I know, I've been told I'm "old school" but I've been a fan of Death Metal since way back in the late 80s when everyone else was into Hair Metal. Thrash is fun too, but Death is where the meat is :-) Nile make for a good "earworm" killer. No matter what pop twaddle gets in my head, a quick blast of "Rameses -God of War" soon sorts that out. For me the same holds for Bolt Throwers "World Eater".

There are A-holes in any group of people, but I reckon that Death metalloids get their anger out of their system vocally rather than physically :-) I know that every car that gets in front of mine gets treated to non stop descriptions of their drivers dubious ancestry and sexual deviations. Ya can't beat seeing the expression on someones face when in a traffic jam they pull alongside my Lexus limo-barge and look across at it's grey haired, overweight driver while he is singing along to Grave's "Into the Grave" and headbanging. <LOL>

15. E_Nigma

True in My Experience

A buddy of mine worked at a popular place which catered to various tastes, though mostly rock (from "folk rock" to proper metal and gothic stuff). His experience: the darker the music, more polite the people ("They actually say please!"). I've noticed the same thing, bug guys in black leather and spikes apologizing if they slightly bump into me, the crowd breaking up a mosh pit to search for someone's contact lens... :D. On mainstream events, stay the whole night and you will see at least one incident (a fight, a bottle thrown...).

16. Warm Braw

Great at dinner parties...

... unless you're softly-spoken, presumably.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not quite death metal but at the end of "Flight 666" (film of Iron Maiden's world tour) in the credits they listed various stats on the tour and one was a list of the numbers of drinks served on the flights - number 1 by some margin was tea, followed by Baileys - thats rock'n'roll for you!

1. Kevin Lomax

I remember some national newspaper doing a piece on Slipknot where they got hold of their backstage rider requirements - no doubt looking for something to justify some hysterical headline about metal being the devils work...3 live goats, some black candles and a couple of sacrificial virgins maybe.

Instead they got a list like "cold bottled water" and "organic natural yoghurts"!!

Shocking!

number 1 by some margin was tea

The first time Genesis went to the US[1] on tour, the US tentacle of their record company hired a team of private investigators to follow them just in case they went a bit mental..

Final report: "nothing to report, two investigators have died of boredom, one on final life support"..

[1] Early 70s - the records companies were used to the behaviour of the early metal bands and wanted to make sure their liabilities were covered. PG apparently caused the most concern because he had an odd haircut..

18. Aladdin Sane

only wanted to brutally murder my colleagues a couple of times

Total or per day?

1. }{amis}{
      Flame

Re: only wanted to brutally murder my colleagues a couple of times

Per minute some days!

19. src

Mayhem

If you want the authentic black metal experience check out early Mayhem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfCHwsp9bSc

20. Tom 7

I have an album by a band called Extreme Noise Terror.

If it has lyrics I've never understood them. But that's probably because I saw them live in what is best described as a concrete bunker with Hotblack Desiatio's PA in the room. They were nearly as loud as The Q-Tips who managed to solve the CO2 problem by making micro-diamonds from the air in the auditorium.

21. JimC

Unconvinced this is great science.

I dunno. I'm not sure how one would devise a good experiment for this, but I'm not sure that's the one.

Of course its only one person's experience, but in the 90s I stopped reading violent thrillers because I didn't like the effect it was having on me. I definitely felt that exposure to that material all the time was affecting my way of thinking with more aggression in my behaviour than I liked, although it never actually got physical.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: good science

Having read similar stories from decades ago I'm sure it isn't about science, truth or having a good experiment. It's another, repeating, Man bites Dog story we like to hear and read about. At least that's why I read it, don't judge a book by it's cover confirmation.

Which reminds me of an incident with Punks in London back in the day. For some it's just a fashion for others it's a lifestyle. Lifestyle stabbed fashion and people wondered what fashion expected.

22. Hans 1

That Swedisk music DIY kit act sound a lot like Napalm Death to my ears, but yeah, the lyrics are a bit, well, silly ... Phraell Williams, totally unbearable, ultra-repetitive, like a vinyl with a deep scratch.

Metal head, here, but not only, even like classical stuff (aka serious music) and/or alternative rock/pop/shoegaze ...and I am a psychopath, maybe it's the shoegaze or pop ? Naaa, must be Karajan, no Kempff, Kempff ...

23. Valerion

Metal = friendly

In my yoof I used to hang around a lot at the legendary Cartoon club in Croydon. Always full of rockers, metallers, big scary looking guys covered in tattoos and everyone getting hammered.

2 doors down was a "normal" club playing dance music. There were always fights outside and the police were pretty much guaranteed to be there every weekend.

But in the Cartoon there was never - ever - any trouble. Partly due to the self-policing attitude. If anyone did anything out of line, Animal the bouncer (I suspect not his real name...) would sling em' out as he was bigger (and nicer) than anyone else.

Happy days back then.

24. MJI Silver badge

Metal

Brings back memories, never a thrash fan, but did like NWOBHM.

As to earworms, somebody at work commented that another colleague was paranoid.

Luckily I do like Black Sabbath.

Night clubs, the staff love metal nights as there is a lot less trouble, boring nights usually have shirt and trouser wearing tossers taking lumps out of each other.

And I have just discovered that I can fit in jeans again!

I knew a few bands then, no named ones, just local but decent local, but two of them were really good.

So my car CD changer is half full of bands who knew/know the owner of the car.

I could link to some but it would fully identify me.

25. phr0g

I went to a Sepultura concert in Manchester many years ago, on the "Arise" tour (so yes, it was MANY years ago). My ears are still ringing.

And yep, I would agree, death metal types are generally nice folk.

26. Potemkine! Silver badge
  27. imanidiot Silver badge

My theory on the matter

The average metal fan recognizes he is not perfect and acknowledges he has rage inside him/her. Instead of denying those parts they let it out in non destructive ways. The "sunshine pop" listeners are all so busy being perfect and happy (and usually have their head far up their ass) they never realize they have issues, because if something happens the other guy must be an asshole right? These cockwombles think they're flawless so it can't be their fault if they get in a fight. And thus they always end up in a punch out because they feel justified.

The metal-heads on the other hand are not afraid to realize when they fuck up and buy the other guy a beer instead of letting it get to violence. Thus they're only a danger if you actually are a total shithead.

I'm personally not usually a death metal sort of guy, I like thinks a little more melodic, I'm perfectly fine listening to the likes of Disturbed or Sabaton.

1. holmegm

Re: My theory on the matter

Except that actual research on "letting it out" (punching pillows, primal screams, etc.) generally shows that it makes people *more* angry, more ready to act out, not less.

It turns out that anger is more of a habit than a gas.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: My theory on the matter

Letting it out in the case of metal fans is in the form of enjoying music while screaming some filthy lyrics. It's more about enjoying oneself than the "violence". They're not actually performing any violent acts. Which is sort of my whole point.

28. David 18

Boring Pigeonholes

Too many people listen to certain genres of music to project a persona. Then there are the bores (a few in evidence here) who are all about desperately trying to appear more knowledgeable about their chosen genres, delighting in pointing out the minute differences between sub-genres and prattling on about how x genre or artist is not "real" music, because it is not to their taste, or "call that cheese-grater-mousetrap metal! Kuh, any fule knows that's INDUSTRIAL-cheese-grater-mousetrap metal!"

I say to all of them, grow up and just appreciate what moves you. Music and art are to be enjoyed for so many reaosns but mainly they make you feel something - and that will be different for everybody. What you listen to does not reflect who or what you are, but might provide a glimpse of what is going on in your head at that time, if you are clever enough to interpret it and know the listener well.

I am just as likely to be listening to Slipknot to wind down on my commute if angry (it helps get the frustration out) or some nice Baroque music to soothe it away. But I am equally as likely to be listening to a bit of SRV, Albert King, JJ Cale, Pink Floyd, Count Basie because I like it and it moves me in different ways. I'm not so keen on Pop, because a lot of it does not move /me/, I suspect most of it is not intended to. There are exceptions, I like "Happy" for example and many Abba tracks - well constructed. Even some Rap, Hip-Hop, trance etc is excellent.

Just enjoy music for what it is and stop trying to read crap into it.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Boring Pigeonholes

A HM singer I know loves Abba.

Mind you I also like some folk (a) and some classical (b).

(a) eg Pentangle

(b) modern such as quite a bit of games sound tracks

29. Gobhicks

Manly Barry-O

As a person with varied but generally "alternative" musical tastes (tho most Extreme Metal - Death, Black, Thrash, whatever - leaves me cold), I'm concerned that I find myself increasingly seeing the funny side of Barry M...

30. Jacob's Elevator

'Science says' ...

77 of 79 scientists (95%) agreed with a pole on AGW/CC; 'gave the correct answer' and kept their jobs.

That's actually where the official 95% came from.

The death metal fans I've met were bankers from Germany.

Convivial and perfectly nice chaps ... but I was sharing the room with them to go see 'Prince'.

Not really my thing, Nihilism.

31. Scott 26
    Devil

Timely - going to Slayer & Anthrax this weekend....

(Not 'death' metal, I know....)

Even the new generation of metallers coming through are (apparently) 'nice' (eg Alien Weaponry).

As for death/black metal, I was the one in our little group of like-minded individuals to import Grindcrusher (Earache Records compilation record)... I was the only one to like it though - bit too extreme even for Slayer fans

32. I&I

Best for deep thoughtful creative coding: Country & western. Just enough musicality to lubricate the mind but not enough to distract it.

33. Kiwi
    IT Angle

I've looked at many songs over the years.

Nothing seems to meet the standard set by Motorhead's "Sweet Revenge".

But them maybe I've been unfortunate to have met "the right people".

So sweet to see you,

Writhe and crawl and scream for life,

But I can't listen now,

I'm too busy with the knife,

(In light of recent events, this may be a song the whole nation will understand tomorrow :( ).

34. RonWheeler

'Science says'

Is another new internets clickbait hook.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: 'Science says'

New? Where have you been? It's been a staple of the redtops for decades, and started moving from print to HTML with the rise of advertising online ... say twenty years ago or so.

35. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

I don't know

about anyone else, but when I listen to death metal (almost always in a TV show/movie) all I hear is a wall of noise and the lyrics are always BWAAA BWAAA BWA BWA BWABAAAAA! I can't make out a thing.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: I don't know

Perhaps get your ears checked? I'm not being snarky ... it's perfectly legible to me. (Although gawd/ess knows how, after nearly 50 years of turning it up to 11, both and off stage!)

36. Aynon Yuser

Baby baby....where did our love go?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon