back to article Let's see. Translation, facial recognition, running people over... What else can AI do? Ah yes, predict planet mass

Boffins bored of time-consuming mathematics are turning to machine-learning code to predict the mass of exoplanets that aren't yet fully formed. Budding planets are difficult to study. They grow in circumstellar disks by accreting mass and are shrouded by envelopes of gas. The final mass is predicted by guessing the planet’s …

1. really_adf

Humans, and I expect other animals too, seen to develop an innate ability to "solve" some mathematical problems apparently quite efficiently, eg predicting where a ball can be caught. Are there cases where this is effectively solving differential equations? (I don't think the example I gave is, but happy to be corrected.)

If so, does this kind of ability bear any resemblance to the machine learning in this article (or vice versa if you prefer)?

1. Wilseus

"eg predicting where a ball can be caught. Are there cases where this is effectively solving differential equations?"

I'm pretty sure I remember watching a TV documentary which said catching a ball IS an example of solving differential equations. But it was over 20 years ago so I might be mistaken.

2. Chris G

Are they confusing accuracy with a similar outcome to the usual methods to obtain results?

Neither one can be assumed to be accurate when all of the calculations are based on relatively flimsy evidence st stellar distances.

3. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

We can predict the size of Uranus

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like