back to article Amazon may finally get its hands on .amazon after world's DNS overseer loses patience

Amazon may finally get its hands on the .amazon top-level domain it craves, having been blocked for years by the governments of Brazil and Peru, after ICANN finally lost its patience. In an exhaustive rundown of the bureaucratic battle that has been waged for seven years over the top-level domain, this week the ICANN Board …

1. cdrcat

A quick check of Google translate showed that amazon is an English word. So Brazil can get the Portuguese language TLD, and Ecuador can get the Spanish language TLD. Everybody should be happy!

1. jake Silver badge

Not English.

My Big Dic says Amazon is Greek.

1. Solarflare
        Angel

Re: Not English.

My Big Dic says Amazon is Greek

I'm not sure why your genitals are an authoritative source on the matter?

1. Waseem Alkurdi
          Angel

So it's not only I who had noticed this!

2. Aladdin Sane
          Coat

Sounds like a cock and bull story.

2. Mark 85

Can of worms or Pandora's box is about to be opened...

If they approve Amazon (the company) getting Amazon (the top domain name) at what point will we see serious lobbying (and palms greased) for such top domains as "Microsoft", "Oracle" and others?

1. LenG

Re: Can of worms or Pandora's box is about to be opened...

And why not?

1. The Vociferous Time Waster

Root zone will get pretty bloated.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

But nothing longer than three characters needs to be supported.

2. Coen Dijkgraaf

They already have. No lobbying or bribing needed.

Oracle https://gtldresult.icann.org/applicationstatus/applicationdetails/361

Microsoft https://gtldresult.icann.org/applicationstatus/applicationdetails/1367

1. BillG
        Megaphone

Cry Me Another River

I wonder if .nile has been claimed?

1. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Re: Cry Me Another River

If so, dibs on "stateofde.nile"

2. doublelayer Silver badge

And why do these companies want those TLDs? They already have the respective .com domains, and nobody is going to take them away from them. Whatever thing they would have put in their .amazon tld can also be put in the exact same place in .amazon.com. Ditto for all the other companies setting up domains. These additional domains don't seem to serve any purpose to users or companies.

1. jake Silver badge

"And why do these companies want those TLDs?"

Pure vanity, nothing more and nothing less.

1. Waseem Alkurdi

Nope - it's because phishing scams can use a TLD like dave@techsupport.microsoft (notice - no .com).

They should also gobble up *.microsoftcom as well.

1. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

No they can't. There's a large upfront application cost, on-going fees, and a requirement to supply necessary infrastructure, organisation, and justification.

The chance of phishers applying is nil.

2. jake Silver badge

The whole "because phishing" thing never seemed all that valid to me.

Consider that the folks who are likely to get scammed by such would fall for the scam if it came from thisisascam.youidiot.com just as easily as if it came from apple.NewExoticTLD ... so why waste time and money registering new domains just for scams?

And ESPECIALLY why bother inventing a new, functional TLD? If it doesn't exist in the first place, how could scammers use it?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. werdsmith Silver badge

The original .cern.

1. The Vociferous Time Waster

Really? The place that just over 30 years ago was where the www was invented and you begrudge them a TLD?

2. DropBear
          Coat

So you're saying this proliferation of TLDs is of some con.cern...? Okay, okay, I'll let myself out...

2. Cynical Pie
        Joke

Psssst...

It is I Leclerc...

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Psssst...

Listen very carefully, I will upvote you only once.

3. alain williams Silver badge

These new TLDs were always a stupid idea

It is an ICANN money making scheme, completely unnecessary.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: These new TLDs were always a stupid idea

"money making scheme, completely unnecessary."

Not from ICANN's PoV

2. Claverhouse Silver badge

Re: These new TLDs were always a stupid idea

All TLDs were always a stupid idea.

4. bpfh
    Flame

ICANN’T

See title

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

ICANN getting impatient? Now they know how the EU feels about their demands for a moratorium on GDPR.

1. Ole Juul

"ICANN finally lost its patience"

I had to read that twice.

6. TechDrone
    Happy

No internet in the Amazon?

Nearly 20 years ago I spent a few months out there, and had no issues getting online in Manaus or most of the other towns and villages. If you could see a phone line you could bet on finding an internet cafe within a few hundred yards. Bigger problem was keeping the local molds and fungi from trying to breed inside the little laptop I was carrying.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: No internet in the Amazon?

Some people think technology hasn't progressed the way it has. Had they said that the people there probably wouldn't care about the domain, they'd probably be correct. But they have to go the whole distance to try to make this dispute sound even more ridiculous than it is and say that there is no internet access there. A bit of an oversight.

1. DropBear

Those interpreting the "no internet" thing as "in not any place close to the Amazon river" would be of course right to point out that's not true - particularly in the larger cities; but I'd still wager the vast majority of the jungle the Amazon goes through has a serious deficit in not only internet-capable hardware but indeed human presence altogether - and wherever else spears and bows are still mostly the norm of local weapons technology, internet cafes are likely still spread awfully thin on the ground.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Satellites providing internet service orbit in range of the rain forest, and plenty of places that are less urbanized have mobile coverage. The uninhabited areas probably don't, but we're talking about the people who live there, and a lot of them have access to communications tech as much as anyone else.

7. Rustbucket

Obvious mistake

It later emerged that Amazon had offered millions of dollars worth of free Kindle e-readers and hosting in return for Brazil and Peru removing their objections, but to no avail.

They should have tried suitcases full of unmarked bills and possibly a few hookers.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Obvious mistake

No, no, no. Not since the fairytale merchants[1] enacted legislation making that illegal.

What you do now is hire a local PR company, for a shitload of cash, to lobby on your behalf. They repack the cash in suitcases and hire hookers to deliver it for you. This is more expensive as the local firm will cream off 10% themselves.

Quite a few countries now have legislation enforcing the use of local PR firms to act as intermediaries, allegedly to ensure everything is kept above board but actually for precisely the opposite reason.

[1] Once upon a time we made bribery illegal, that stopped it happening and we all lived happily ever after. The End.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Paris Hilton

Fascinating thought

Suitcases full of cash, delivered by hookers.

That would brighten up a cold and windy mid-week afternoon nicely.

What do I have to do?

(Couldn't find exactly the right icon, but . . . . :-)

8. ratfox
    Coat

At long last, will ICANN get no satisfaction?

Getting my coat, that's what I say!

1. TimMaher Silver badge

Re: At long last, will ICANN get no satisfaction?

Is that the one with the stones in the pocket?

9. Kingbob

So do Amazon (the company) want to own the entire .amazon tld? or just amazon.amazon?

Surely Brazil can have Brazil.amazon, and Ecuador can have Ecuador.Amazon?

1. ratfox

The fight is over who gets full control of the .amazon TLD. ICANN would not need to get involved about anything lower. There's already a bunch of companies that have their own TLD, like .google and .apple and .microsoft; the list is long.

10. creature.shock

I'm kind of waiting for Amazon to say to heck with it and go for .amzn and be done with it.

11. arthoss

Am I the only one here who care only about .net, .country, .org and .com? Those who can’t have those are most probably dodgy, I believe.

1. jake Silver badge

Says the dude/tte commentarding on ...

... theregister.co.uk

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge

Re: Says the dude/tte commentarding on ...

Despite all the hyperbole around brexit, the UK is still a country.

2. d3vy

*Cough*

.gov.*

.org

1. jake Silver badge

.mil

.edu

But who's caviling.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

.int

.arpa

1. jake Silver badge

.int is proof that alternate TLDs are pretty much useless.

While I'm at it, try getting a .arpa domain name registered.

2. arthoss

Erm yeah point taken for those. But you get my gist.

12. nath042
    Joke

the tag line should say "ICANNT wait any longer"

13. Paul 135

They should have stuck to the old system and made it even more rigid, insisting that companies may only use a .com or .co. domain. It was obvious from its announcement that this new TLD system would only make things a confusing mess.

I also think companies who cannot call themselves by an original name, instead redefining words, deserve scorn. Amazon is first and foremost a rainforest.

1. Gonzo_the_Geek

Ummm, don't you mean a river?

Last I checked, the rainforest gets its name from the fact that it covers most of the Amazon river basin, doesn't it?

1. The Mole

Umm, don't you mean a Greek myth?

Last I checked the river got its name from the war like women who lived there, and who were named after the women warriors from Greek mythology.

14. hoola Silver badge

Money Rules

Like everything to do with the tech mega-corps, the only thing that matters is money. Whilst they continue to do everything possible to bend and break rules/regulation and distort markets for their own benefit they will.

Bluntly, the regulation to control them is long overdue and because of that they now wield so much power (=money), they are essentially beyond regulation. It was always going to happen and the corrupt political system in the US has allowed it because the only thing that appears to matter is how much money goes into a political campaign.

I really don't see how there can be any good outcome as anyone with the political will to do it will never get elected. The EU may just be able to do something but these slimeballs will just find ways round it. This is a global problem that originated in the US and the seed was what was perceived to be unlimited returns by greedy venture capitalists.

Unfortunately it is still going on with the like of the IPO for Lyft, a loss making company that owns almost nothing but is deemed to be worth billions.

15. S4qFBxkFFg

You think this is bad?

(Just so I can say "I said this back in 2019!")

After ICANN judge they've shaken down everyone as much as they can with custom TLDs, the next plan is to offer comma-separated versions.

They might even offer a discount if you already have the dot equivalent.

If I had any decision making power at ICANN I'd be getting an underling to write up a business case for every last punctuation mark in unicode - trebles all round!

(Boy George should get ,chameleon of course.)

1. John 110
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: You think this is bad?

@S4qFBxkFFg

(Boy George should get ,chameleon of course.)

You owe me a new keyboard!!

16. Stryker007

don't forget me

I hereby claim .spooner :)

17. cream wobbly
    Holmes

Key point

> and the fact that .amazon domain names may exist on

> the internet and be used to sell products has no actual

> impact on the Amazon or the people that live in the

> Amazonas region

This is especially true since you can't find any hardwood furniture on Amazon.dot.com, period.com, full-stop.com.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Key point

No hardwood furniture on Amazon? Are you sure?

https://www.amazon.com/Breakaway-Balsa-Special-Effects-Lightweight/dp/B008WDA1IS

Yes, kiddies, Balsa is a hardwood ... However, should you mean traditional hardwood:

https://www.amazon.com/oak-furniture/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aoak%20furniture

And if, by chance, you actually mean so-called "tropical" hardwood:

https://www.amazon.com/teak-furniture/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ateak%20furniture

https://www.amazon.com/Mahogany-Furniture/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AMahogany%20Furniture

1. S_W

Re: Key point

A quick look at your links found lots of things that were "mahogany color" or "teak finish".

Didn't look hard but didn't see any actual mahogany or teak in the ones I did look at.

18. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Nice!

So this means I can blacklist .amazon on my browser and be able to do web searches for hobby information without being bombarded for ads to sell me what I'm looking for information on, or similar things, or bedsheets? Love it, hope they get it!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like