back to article Hey, DevOps fans. We've got another TLA for you to write down: CDF

CloudBees has launched the Continuous Delivery Foundation (CDF), which will operate under the umbrella of the Linux Foundation. Just like what the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) does for containers, microservices and orchestration, CDF is all about continuous delivery in the open-source world. The group will house a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DevOps CDF?

Can't Do F*** ?

2. Ogi

DevOps CDF?

> Can't Do F*** ?

I would go with "Can't Do F***all", personally.

I especially like this bit:

> And as for as that other bogeyman of CI/CD platforms – long-term support – the CDF is pondering it. "It's a good question; we haven't thought of a good answer yet," Strachan conceded.

That is not a good answer. Projects must be supportable in the long term. Companies (specifically those for who tech is not their main job/income) see software as a tool. The tool should do what it was specified to do, and do it well, and consistently over the software's usable life.

Companies don't have the resources to deal with constantly changing software, they may not have full, unrestricted access to the internet for upstream "rolling update" systems. They don't necessarily want the tool they are using to suddenly stop working because some change made upstream passed upstream "CI/CD" unit tests, was pushed as a rolling update, and then broke on some internally unique situation in the company, requiring the company to divert resources from the core business to debug and patch third party software (I have had this happen far too many times).

I remember when Google et al used to mark thing "beta" and make end users "beta testers" for free. Now CI/CD is just another way of getting the end users to act as an alpha quality QA/debugging team.

Companies less and less want this kind of software, they want to have control over software updates, patches, etc... but software providers want it more and more, because it outsources their testing and QA, much cheaper, and allows them to maintain control over the software they wrote after selling it, including to force updates if they want.

3. DWRandolph

CI-CD = Perpetual Beta

The "move fast & break stuff" mantra is fine at the beginning of the R&D cycle. But has no place once you reach QA and GA. This cr*p of weekly (or even more frequent!!!) releases might be acceptable for a casual game, but not for anything considered Production.

4. Robert Moore
    Facepalm

I expect better of The Reg

That is an initialism, not an acronym.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

1. dgymer

Re: I expect better of The Reg

Perhaps it's supposed to be pronounced "cuddaf". As in, "I cuddaf slapped together any old buzzword-compliant nonsense and attempted to flog it to big corporations as the next silver bullet".

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Yeah yeah yeah - it's fixed. Sorry, sometimes, either due to interest or time, we focus on technology rather than pedantry.

C.

1. Cederic Silver badge

I fear your audience demand both, combined with wit and cynicism.

To be fair, it's what you've taught us to expect.

5. RichardB

Where have I seen that TLA before....

Ah yes...Clostridium Difficile... bacterium that infects the bowels and causes diarrhea...

Delightful.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like