back to article Haha! Conformist 'Droids! Yep, that's what's most profitable these days, says Nokia

A long time has passed since a Nokia executive compared adopting Android to a boy "peeing in his pants" in the snow to keep warm*. Nokia's current custodian, HMD Global, now wants to be Google's spearhead in getting businesses to buy Android en masse by being as faithful as possible to the master. The point Anssi Vanjoki, then …

1. imcdnzl

Slight correction

Great article. One slight correction is that HMD don't "own" Nokia. They're just a licensee of the brand, albeit that most HMD staff are ex-Nokia.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Slight correction

"Nokia's current custodian, HMD Global"

I think that means handset brand custodian.

1. MacroRodent

Re: Slight correction

Yes, but the wording is bad. Nokia the company still exists, is going strong, and has no stinking custodian. It irks me The Register keeps spreading the confusion (granted, other media often do so too, but we expect better of The Register, don't we?).

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Holmes

HMD's relationship to Google is similar to Dell and Wintel 20 years ago: they want to be the reference platform, with as little divergence as possible, which makes rapid patching easier.

Well they can fix the battery saving then as Nokia phones have a task killer which is a little too keen.

(Who are Evenwell?)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought they did KaiOS (ie reborn FirefoxOS)

I though they were selling low end candybar / slider phones (slightly smarter feature phones) based on KaiOS aka reborn FirefoxOS / Boot to Gheko. I was quite hopefull that may be good secondary phone. Have stopped doing that? or is this only for their smart phones.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I thought they did KaiOS (ie reborn FirefoxOS)

The 8110 4g has KaiOS - although Google has bought into KaiOS

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/28/kaios_google_investment/

I've got an 8110 4g as a standby-backup-emergency-novelty-historic-re-enactment phone. It's a bit limited. Actually, it's a lot limited. Some of the stuff below is down to Nokia, not KaiOS, but I've included them for completeness.

Contacts - no way to synch with anything. Just load all your contacts onto the SD card and import them into the phone book.

Calendar - can synch with CalDav and some other online calendars. iCloud synch not possible.

Email - OK but no auto setup, and no cut/paste so setting accounts up is a lot of typing in text mode and getting bloody annoyed.

It's got Twitter, though I don't use it.

It's got a browser and Google Maps - but only if you're desperate. The Snake game is rubbish compared to anything from the last century.

Phone is OK. Music player is OK. FM radio is OK. It's OK as a WiFi hotspot. The battery lasts ages - although not being able to use it for much more than calling and texting is no doubt a factor in this. Other good points are no Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram. It also gets OS updates from somewhere.

Very few apps and some crap games in the form of unremoveable bloatware. It's very slow. Lots of stuff that doesn't really work (e.g. the security thing for if you lose the phone). KaiOs are no help - they just point you to Nokia support and Nokia support just tell you to RTFM.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I thought they did KaiOS (ie reborn FirefoxOS)

Has KaiOS got a VPN client built in or as an app? If so is what VPN protocol is it and does it also encrypt hotspot traffic?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

VPN / Encryption - 8110 4g

8110 4g Details.

As far as I can tell there's no VPN client/options on the 8110 4g and the store hasn't currently got a VPN app.

The options for the hotspot are Open, WPA (TKIP) or WPA2 (AES).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is one of the reasons I bought Nokia

Previous Samsungs having been abandoned by their manufacturer (no updates), having a phone running stock android that was going to get updates for a couple of years seemed like a worthwhile idea.

Avoiding flagship pricing for irrelevant features, and accepting that the phone wasn't going to last more than a few years, let me come to terms with getting a phone that previously I would have rejected.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It is one of the reasons I bought Nokia

I got a Nokia 8 to replace an S8 that had an unfortunate accident. I like the lack of bloat and its more conventional looking screen seems to appear to be a tougher. For my perceived use its everybit as fast. OK no OLED so doesn't have the wow factor, but absolutely fine. The battery life is much longer then the S8, despite a similar sized cell.

The bit that has really disappointed though is the camera. I cant believe how poor it is compared to the Samsung. They used to have good reputation for them as well. Shows that the number of lenses is marketing fluff (but we all knew that already)

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Previous Samsungs having been abandoned by their manufacturer (no updates)

I can understand that. SWMBO has a BlackBerry and it hasn't had an update this year. While I'm prepared, and indeed quite happy, install LineageOS (and Lineage 16 / Android 9 landed last Friday on my S5), I can see it isn't for everyone and, certainly not for businesses.

The sheer size of the mobile market gave it huge economies of scale so that even the most impressive innovations quickly became commoditised, which has allowed the huge range of cheap but good devices. But we still shouldn't forget the need for substantial investments for future innovation.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

The problem is nobody is prepared to make that investment since mobile OSes became free.

5. smartroad

I got the Nokia 8 and love it. I have been able to customise it to my liking without having to run overheads of manufacturer "improvements".

Feels as fresh today as it did when I got it. It was a very reasonable price and had a flagship spec.

The one thing I don't like is how they appear to have sullied the 8 with the 8.1 and its decidedly mid-teir specs. While the high end is now the Nokia 9. Why they just didn't get rid of the 8.x entirely and just have the 9 replace it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like