back to article IBM hunkers down for no-deal Brexit, warns of disruption to supply chain, data transfers

IBM is battening down the hatches in preparation for a potential no-deal Brexit next month, warning of implications for the movement of data and delays to products landing in the UK. MPs have already shot down British Prime Minister Theresa May's withdrawal agreement and political declaration that had been endorsed by the EU. …

1. EvaQ

Just follow Jacob Rees-Mogg ... is that OK?

I've a question: Is it OK to just follow Jacob Rees-Mogg on twitter for all Brexit updates? He gives such a warm feeling, just like Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf, the Iraq minister of information, "there are no Americans in Iraq"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just follow Jacob Rees-Mogg ... is that OK?

You'll have to work that answer out with your therapist.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Well, of course, in the 18th century there were no computers so no pesky GDPR to worry about. And, of course, JRM still didn't have to wash the dishes.

It would be funny if it wasn't just an act he's putting on: bugger you Jack, I'm all right, he says from his investment company's Irish office.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Rees-Mogg money and spurious aristocratic manners dates from the late 1800s when his ancestor somehow acquired a coal mine. He's as aristocratic as Lord Archer.

3. Rich 11
      WTF?

While you're mucking about on Twitter you might take a look at @Racists4ReesMogg.

I really hope it's a spoof.

4. Aladdin Sane

Depends. Am I allowed to drive a tank whilst he's in front of camera?

2. Tigra 07
    Thumb Up

At least they're planning ahead. A lot of companies polled by YouGov still haven't made any preparations.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: At least they're planning ahead.

No, no, it didn't say that*. It said that they were "planing", which I interpret as meaning "let us escape by air while we can". However, the guvment have thought carefully about this: With Failing Grayling as Transport Minister there is no chance of escape in time for the Big Day. Air? Sea? Road? Rail? He has you knackered.

*Unless it's been corrected. Can Tips & Corrections be made similar to comments? Sending an email uses too many brain cells, even though I don't use Outlook.

3. Mr Dogshit

It'll be worth it

Once we've overthrown the shackles of Brussels bureaucracy, the NHS will get an extra £350 million a week don't forget.

1. Tigra 07

Re: It'll be worth it

Wasn't it already given a large amount of cash towards that in the last budget? I don't have exact numbers to hand, but it was sizeable from what i remember.

Where's the NHS icon...

1. Rich 11

Wasn't it already given a large amount of cash towards that in the last budget?

It was given some money this year and the promise of more money, increasing year-by-year, over the next four years. There's nothing to stop the Chancellor from not actually fulfilling his promise, especially if something terrible has happened to the economy by the time of the next budget.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "nothing to stop the Chancellor from not actually fulfilling his promise"

Politicians can lie?!?

I'm flabbergasted.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Was the downvote from someone who didn't recognise this was mockingly sarcastic, or from someone who did?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Probably not.

There's an antisocial token down voter who thinks it's funny to appear to disagree with responses on these forums that everyone else regards as common sense, without providing any justification.

The person has a mental age of 13.

1. Youngone Silver badge

The person has a mental age of 13.

No I don't, you do!

I mean no he doesn't! You do!

3. ecofeco Silver badge

That WAS sarcasm, right? So hard to tell these days.

4. theExecutive

Maths were by Dianne Abbot

And it was Eleventy Billion every half quarter..

1. Tigra 07
      Thumb Up

Re: Maths were by Dianne Abbot

With five quarters in a year...

Be careful laughing at her maths as she can't take criticism without playing the race card.

2. Tom 7

Her maths may have been off one day but every tory chancellor ever has been off every day.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But every Labour chancellor has been spot on? Your political leaning is showing a smidgen!

2. Clunking Fist

"but every tory chancellor ever has been off every day."

Gordon Brown was a Tory chancellor? Well I never.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Wasn't that the problem? Tony B and then Gordon B were just Tories in a red dress :-)

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

'in discussions with suppliers to ensure that any vulnerabilities are managed'

I take it this will be industry standard procedure. There'll be a phone number to call, answered by someone who can't actually help because it's not in their script.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

At least it is an answer and an honest one as well. It isn't helpful, but I don't think that was in the contract either ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

having worked alongside PwC several times in the past...it never is.

6. jaywin

"Omnishambles"

I'm starting to think the word was invented purely for this scenario...

It's that ridiculous now, we've even got the government that afraid of scrutiny they'd rather give Eurotunnel £33m than actually discuss whether or not they should have planned a bit further in advance than December for a no-deal situation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Omnishambles"

Well, we're certainly in the thick of it. "Twenty Nineteen" could have been a fantastic sequel to "Twenty Twelve" if only all the real politicians didn't keep behaving as if they were characters in a sitcom...

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

If you scripted this, the script would be thrown out for being too silly. May's repeated trips to Brussels where she is "making progress" are just like DoSAC SNAFUs. Hm, maybe we need a new acronym for this farce: BALLSUP? Suggestions, please.

2. Rich 11

It actually makes me wish we had Jim Hacker in charge.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Jim Hacker Sir Humphrey in charge.

Let's keep a sense of reality.

1. Hans 1
            Coffee/keyboard

Let's keep a sense of reality.

keep .... a sense, huh ?, of reality ?????

Thanks, made my day, have an upvote!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You may be thinking of the words "clusterfuck" or "shitshow"

7. Aladdin Sane

TL;DR

We're fucked.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: TL;DR

not for another 4 weeks and 6 hours, 32 minutes. They you are SO, SO, fucked!

2. eldakka
      Coat

Re: TL;DR

I don't think the massive queues that will occur after Brexit will be for shag-shops.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Uncle Ron

Huh?

Isn't it fair to say that those who were "knowledgeably" in favor of leaving in the original referendum, and those who -still- support Brexit after so much more truth has come to light, are essentially evil, hateful, destructive morons?

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: Huh?

What do you mean with "after so much more truth has come to light".

According to those die-hard Brexiteers, that is just fear mongering.

As far as I am concerned: Brexit means Brexit. Good bye and good riddance.

9. SonOfDilbert
    Big Brother

Freedom of data

Without a deal on freedom of data a lot of companies that operate in multiple countries are going to come unstuck if they're not careful.

10. Hans 1
    Thumb Up

The only way to take back control is a no-deal brexit, it will mean you lose NI, but that would happen in any scenario except remain, so you're fully covered.

Hard Brexit is all nice and good, a herd of unicorns is heading straight for England, to arrive on April 1st to celebrate born again Britain! All that is needed then is the lion from London zoo and you will be able to take selfies in front of a real-life coat of arms, imagine the luck ... and BLUE passports!

11. ecofeco Silver badge

Disruptions? IBM?

And how will we be able to tell the difference?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like