back to article If at first you don't succeed, you may be trying to install that Slow Ring Windows 10 build

Having finally inflicted a 19H1 build of Windows 10 upon Windows Insiders on the Slow Ring, Microsoft has admitted that the minty-fresh test code has some problems. Build 18342 was pushed out earlier this week, having spent some quality time in the hands of Fast Ring testers. The latter found themselves blocked if they were …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does anyone bother with Windows anymore ?

Serious question. My last employer will stick on 7 until the end of time (still not started evaluating 10). No suppliers have dared suggest they'll force an application that uses Win10 only.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Does anyone bother with Windows anymore ?

Why should game anti-cheat be built-in and hold up an entire OS anyway? I think MS have forgotten what an OS should and shouldn't do.

1. Iviv

I don't think the issue was with an anti cheat system that was built in, rather that the update breaks the anti cheat used in some popular games. Microsoft were giving the developers time to fix the anti cheat before pushing the update.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Oh. In that case I thought they'd have done what they did with iTunes and stop the rollout to the affected machines instead of stopping the build pipeline.

Which is why I thought it was a built-in Windows 10 problem.

1. mark.d

That certainly hasn't happened for me. I have some of the affected games (Rainbow Six Siege in particular) and have been getting all the updates pushed out. I have been able to play some modes which don't require the anti-cheat software (Terrorist Hunt Lone Wolf) but any of the multiplayer modes will instantly fail. Some of these were green screens, others wouldn't even let the game start, others would have the match start but instantly crash the game with memory access exceptions. This has been happening since before Christmas.

2. the Jim bloke
        Thumb Up

Maybe the anti-cheat functionality wasnt respecting boundaries - and tried to report dishonest behaviour and malware from the OS-at-large....

perhaps we should keep the anti-cheat and ditch the OS

3. steviebuk Silver badge

And why does our Enterprise build still insist on the shitting Xbox app when we're a fucking company so don't need gaming related bollocks.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't and haven't missed it since switching to Linux Mint. Mind you, I don't do gaming so YMMV.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Three posts and BAM! Linuxed.

That didn't take long at all.

1. Joe User
          Holmes

No surprise there. Linux is an obvious (and stable) alternative.

1. Geoffrey W

I know. And it's users are so friendly and likeable. Not insufferable at all. No sirree. Folks we'd all love to live next door to. The perfect dinner party guests. Oh yes! The ones who love to help old folk across the road, even if they're happy where they are. Such all round, well balanced...cont. Page 97

1. georgezilla Silver badge

... Not insufferable at all. ... "

You mean kind of like Windows users who complain about Linux being crap, because they are not competent enough to install it?

Or do you mean like people who make comments like yours?

... cont. Page 128

1. Geoffrey W

I have two Linux machines...draw your own conclusions...

2. The Central Scrutinizer

Hmmm... my last full install of Linux a couple of months ago onto a new SSD took all of about 12 minutes. That plus about an hour of updating and tweaking to get it set up the way I like things to be and I was off and running. Yeah, it's so difficult to get set up.

2. DerGoat
              Linux

I suffer Windows users ....

... to convert them. My class room and Lab are ran 99% on Linux. Only experimental servers and VM run Windows. No one has a problem. After 6 months, even the hard core Windows users complain about having to support Windows. More people should try freedom.

1. Geoffrey W
                Linux

Re: I suffer Windows users ....

So, essentially, you're a missionary traveling to strange places to tell the locals they are damned and will burn in the fires of hell.

In the pot you go - Penguin for dinner tonight!

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: I suffer Windows users ....

Freedom, from a GPL’d OS? I think not!

NetBSD for me!

2. Updraft102

When the title asks if anyone bothers with Windows anymore, you'd have to expect that would happen quite soon in the life of the thread. It would be like watching someone at the Reg going out into a crowd and shouting through a bullhorn some rhetorical question about crossfit, then expressing (mock?) surprise when someone came forward to talk about it. I mean, you know they want to bring up the topic at any opportunity, and here you are essentially asking large numbers of people to make the comment everyone knows is coming anyway.

I try to keep the mentions of Linux topical and relevant. There's a line between being a fan and a fanboy/girl/other. Obnoxious fans of any given platform can sour people on the product long before they even try it, after all. I loathed the Apple II a long time before I ever tried one because of how snooty and self-satisfied so many people were for having bought a 6502 for three times the price that the plebian hordes had paid for theirs. That little fruit logo has always come at a premium.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

"No suppliers have dared suggest they'll force an application that uses Win10 only."

Hear THAT Intuit? Please continue to support windows 7 (k-thx).

Good news to me. I'll effectively 'sandbox' my 7 machine and VMs until doomsday, to avoid Win-10-nic.

4. Philippe

My company which is quite a big M$ chill and probably one of the first to roll out W10 left right and centre has simply added Macs as a standard employees offering due to the sheer number of issues.

Hearing about people having problems on Windows 10 is now an expected backgroung noise at the office.

5. doublelayer Silver badge

Yes, people are using it. Whether it's a good idea or not, a lot of places that I've seen are so connected to windows for various reasons that they are not going to switch. These aren't the people who need specialized software, either. Usually, they simply don't have the resources or will to switch their processes to mac OS and buy macs for everyone and don't want to try the Linux desktop thing. Some of them stick with windows 7, but it is going to run out of security patches, which frightens them. Also, they usually get machines by obtaining whatever is cheapest when a new one is needed, and many of those come with windows 10 already on them. The result is that plenty of people and businesses are now using windows 10, problems or not. Given that this is a beta version, problems seen in it are not going to change their minds. I've seen a bit of sway when some windows 10 bug hits them and disrupts something, but they know it will take some time to switch all their users to something else, so they stick with inertia and don't.

6. ecofeco Silver badge

Too many corporations suffer from sunk costs over literally decades.

Far to much custom middleware is written for MS interfacing for them to ever recover the cost of porting to Linux.

A shame because Linux is by far the better OS.

Psst, I use all three major desktop OSes. For decades. This is not opinion, but professional observation. Linux is now the best.

Fuck Microsoft.

2. Tom 38

Slow ring sounds like a cause of anal seepage.

3. Jay Lenovo
    Trollface

Brown Ring of Quality

There are actually three rings:

The "slow-ring, the "fast-ring", and finally..

the "O-ring" ...Where the build is launched to consumers and presumed not to explode in mid-flight.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Brown Ring of Quality

the "O-ring"

For some reason, the first thing I thought of was a sphincter

1. Zoopy

Perhaps from one of the Austin Powers movies, where a man in an adjacent bathroom stall tells Powers to be careful or else he'll blow out his O-ring.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Thought that was Tom Arnold to Billy Crystal ripping off a wire/ mic in Analyze That?

4. nematoad
    FAIL

'there's no OS maker like Microsoft'

I reckon you have got that right. Who in their right mind would plough on with something that is doomed to fail? Have they managed to sort out 18 09 yet?

Sorry to as but the last time I last used Windows was '98SE

1. Geoffrey W

Page 97...

The perfect commenter to offer pearls of wisdom about Windows. Thank you kind sir. My life is enriched by your words and I sigh with joy and delight that you decided to offer them to us. Knowing you last used Windows in 1998 has enlightened me such that my life will never be the same. And I feel it safe to say that...Cont Page 157...

1. georgezilla Silver badge

You really are .....

It's really not just my imagination after all.

So are you just pretending, or are you really just an asshole?

1. Geoffrey W

Re: You really are .....

Putting on my serious hat for a moment...

Among my various machines, Linux and Windows, is a Win10 machine running update 1809 - or is it 1810? - happily, so, yes, in many cases they have gotten it working. It has been funny to watch Microsoft's struggles with it, though and the endless Register jokes about it haven't worn thin at all.

But what value does anyone who last used Windows in 98 have to offer, other than fodder for snarky comments like mine. If I didn't mock them then I might get a bit annoyed and nobody wants that.

I last used Linux this morning. Isn't that interesting.

2. the Jim bloke
      Meh

Who in their right mind would plough on with something that is doomed to fail?

The impression i have reached from various El Reg articles over the years, is that Microsoft agree with you, and are doing the corporate equivalent of leaving the baby out in the snow.

Its not going to be quick, or clean, or painless,.. but the leadership at Microsoft may see a brighter future for themselves without being burdened by such a high maintenance dependant.

5. hplasm
    Meh

Same turd..

Different bag.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

"the gang at Redmond appear to have lost patience with the company responsible"

Well, in defense of the company responsible, the board is still on life support after having been told that their most precious asset needs to be changed. Oh, not the game, of course, that's just the money-maker. No, it's the anti-cheat, that has been lovingly crafted by Northern Trolls in specially-made dank caverns with WiFi access and an endless supply of chocolate frogs. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to gather all those chocolate frogs ?

And they're going to have to - gasp - do it again ? Pity the stock price, for Pete's sake.

Okay, seriously now, it's a game company. Most of them don't have a stellar track record for keeping talent. Most of them do have a reputation for crunch time that lasts months, if not the whole development time. Then you have to find a team smart enough to not only understand the existing anti-cheat model, but also grep the required changes and implement them correctly - a rather demanding task, eh, Microsoft ?

All of this hoopla and most games I play have no anti-cheating issues. Minecraft ? You can whitelist the participants and, if you don't, there's a plethora of add-ons specifically tailored for tracking cheaters. None of that has anything to do with the OS. 7 Days To Die ? There's an entire anti-cheating system included in Steam apparently, and I haven't heard a peep about issues on Windows 1 0.

So I'm thinking that this is likely an issue for some other kinds of entities, the likes of EA Games or Origin, who are pretty crappy at how they handle players in the first place. I have banned their stores from my PCs due to the shoddy experience they have imposed on me. If that is indeed the case, then I can only rejoice that Microsoft is leaving those PCs in the dust.

7. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Devil

Re: the gang at Redmond appear to have lost patience with the company responsible

perhaps this is the first GOOD decision Microsoft has made with respect to ANYTHING in Win-10-nic?

The problem with supporting the 99.999% case, is that you OFTEN poorly support the 85% or 90% case in order to do so. Plenty of examples in Win-10-nic.

8. Gene Cash Silver badge

So what is the company/games?

I'm willing to bet it's EA & Origin, since they write some crap code & games and their attitude is expressed by "DILLIGAF".

My second bet is Valve & Steam, but they're usually "mostly competent"

1. Les Matthew

Re: So what is the company/games?

I'll see you and raise you Ubisoft.

1. PhilBuk

Re: So what is the company/games?

Try Fortnite.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One Ring to rule them all

One Ring to rule them all,

One Ring to find them,

One Ring to bring them all

and in the darkness bind them

1. FozzyBear
      Gimp

Re: One Ring to rule them all

Couldn't tell if you were talking about windows OS or that you have a new bdsm Dungeon

10. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Things I last used and when

windows: 10 minutes ago

Linux : yesterday

iOS: now

My car: a couple of hours ago

My cat: half an hour ago

My O ring: the day before yesterday (it’s a bit slow, must be the drugs I’m on)

1. Geoffrey W

Re: Things I last used and when

Excuse me! What exactly did you use your cat for? Is it OK? I need proof or I'm calling someone!

1. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Re: Things I last used and when

I used the cat to help update bloody windows 10. He miaowed at it until it finished.

11. Morten Bjoernsvik

Win10 fast ring crashed improved my software

In october the fast ring WSL(window subsystem for linux) failed and forced me to convert all my pythonscripts to comply with powershell. I have a shell loader module that check environment variables and prepare the script for what environment to run them in adding powershell.exe in front of any python job. Took me about two days with unittests. When WSL was back next week, I didn't bother going back because linux is very well covered with tests on an ubuntu system running jenkins in docker.

If Your software can cope with some crashes and lost files, You should take the opportunity to improve when they happens.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

What a complete and utter fustercluck...

What the hell is Microplop doing to their code base? Why would anyone ever choose to run this crud? It like putting sewage into your car's tank and wondering why it won't start. What's Sadnad's end game? Is he actually being paid by Oracle?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: What a complete and utter fustercluck...

I'm sorry readers. I got a bit carried away there. What I meant to say is that with Windows 10, Microsoft has taken quality to a completely new level, and it's always a joy to see what surprises are in store for those happy users who use this jewel of creation.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: What a complete and utter fustercluck...

I see what you did there.

Well played.

13. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

WTF..

Why are Microsoft knowingly shipping software than can GSOD? Only offering it to people who don't have the games in question is fairly pointless if the games are then installed thereafter.

14. ecofeco Silver badge

Goddamn Win 10

Goddamn Win 10 straight to hell.

What a major pain in the ass.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like