back to article China slams Guns N' Roses album

China has unsurprisingly taken exception to Guns N' Roses' new album Chinese Democracy, slamming it as a "venomous attack" which "turns its spear point on China". That's according to the BBC, which quotes an article in the Global Times (published by the ruling communist party, natch) which roundly condemns Axl Rose and co. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kenny Swan
    Thumb Up

Good idea

A country who doesn't want its people to have to listen to Chinese Democracy and would like to ban Bjork, eh? China has some ideas I could get on board with.

2. Chris

Advice

A bit of advice to Mr Qin Gang: if the music's too noisy and loud, then turn the f*cking volumne down you muppet.

3. Michael Habel
    Pirate

bleah

"a lot of people don't like this kind of music because it's too noisy and too loud."

Or could it be that Chinese Democracy sounds a bit to much like an old Queensrÿche Album. Thinking Operation Mindcrime ~for some reason~. Then again Operation Mindcrime was good, I'm not so convinced by the 29s "Snippits" from the Jobsmob crew though, and I think I could think of more creative and better ways to part with my 9.99€(EUR), that iTunes thinks this turd is worth...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Meh

Surely the biggest reason to take exception to it would be that it's bloody awful.

5. Flugal
    Coat

G&?

How many band members can you replace and still maintain the band name?

And maybe China's fears are confirmed - after all, David Hasselhoff did single-handedly brought down the Berlin Wall.*

Mines the one with Mr Brownstone dancing in the pocket.

*According to, er, David Hasselhoff anyway.

6. Smallbrainfield
    Paris Hilton

No rush, eh lads?

They've had about 14 years or so to get wound up about this album's title. I suppose at least if they ban it at least the Chinese will be spared having to listen to it.

7. Joe

I'm no Guns N Roses fan...

...in fact I can't stand them, but the Chinese government has really proved the band right as regards the theme of this album, haven't they?

8. Dr Jeep
    Coat

Chinese Redundancy?

"too noisy and too loud"

?

9. Dr. Mouse
    Black Helicopters

PML

"According to my knowledge, a lot of people don't like this kind of music because it's too noisy and too loud."

Waaah waaah, you naughty boys say we are corrupt, we don't like rock music! Give me some *insert name of unnoffensive bland crappy pop group* instead.

For F**KS SAKE, people have a right to express their oppinions, even if they arent in line with your own! At least, they do in this country, but then we dont live in a corrupt "communist" dictatorship (at least, not yet, untill Comrade Brown implements his Master Plan of course... OOOPS I just expressed an oppinion about our Prime Minister which he may disagree with, better hide)

10. Ron Eve
    Black Helicopters

WTF

"According to my knowledge, a lot of people don't like this kind of music because it's too noisy and too loud."

Did he get a degree in The Bleeding Obvious?

11. Richard
    Coat

N'

Call me pedantic if you must, but why does Mr Rose always miss the first apostrophe?

Guns 'n' Roses

12. Nate
    Thumb Up

I never thought I'd say this...

...but I actually agree with China on this one.

Though, our reasons for wanting to ban the album are decidedly different.

13. Simon Greenwood

Qin Gang went on to say

'After waiting for fourteen years for a follow up to 'Use Your Illusion', the Cultural Committee also believe that the record was knocked up on ProTools by Buckethead, so it is a massive Fail.'

14. Toastan Buttar
    Alert

Back To The Future

"Hold it fellas. I'm afraid you're just too darn loud."

15. b
    Pirate

chinazis!

there's around 80m in the chicom-nazi criminal clique..

there's around 900m poor downtrodden chinese people.

if i were a commie, i wouldn't feel safe.

(never mind about tibet or the uighurs, the chinese people THEMSELVES are slaves living in a ghetto. it just so happens to *look* like a tawdry, mucky version of a western country..)

cheers,

bill

p.s. stuff and nonsense: http://www.eupeople.net/forum

16. Joel Storm

Review (sort of)

Here's a pointer to the San Francisco Chronicle's review of "Chinese Democracy" (note that the editor has broken the one line URL into two lines):

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/23/PKIA14409I.DTL&hw=chinese+democracy+review&sn=002&sc=520

I think most Register readers will enjoy the style of the review. I especially like the Barry Manilow bit.

17. Neil

Not too bad

I bought it yesterday. It's not too bad. It's no Appetite or Illusion, but it's growing on me.

18. Nano nano

Shouldn't that be

"Guns 'n' Roses" ?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Now Now

The boys in the Chinese government just need to learn how to play the game. Had they simply agreed with the rest of us that the album is shit wrapped in a truck load of fail, then no one would have raised an eye brow. They could have quietly banned the album and no one would have been the wiser.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Publicity stunt

Like G&R would have sold a single album in China...

Didn't the Sex Pistols already do this? Posers.

21. Pierre
    Thumb Down

Chinazis, hu? (@ b)

Slaves living in a ghetto, right? Please, b, tell us. How many hundreds of Chinese people have you interviewed? How many times have you been to China? Or is it just based on the usual Faux News / Daily Fail material?

China might well not be perfect, but have a look at what happens in the US, UK and most EU countries... free world, really? Could easily be presented as a bunch of slaves in ghettos, too.

"p.s. stuff and nonsense: http://www.[redacted]/[web2.0]"

I'll pass, your post here covered my daily needs of, erm, "stuff and nonsense" already.

And please, guys, you might consider China as a 3rd world country, but that's not a reason to dump your garbage faux-rock music on them! If you don't want it anymore, burn it or burry it, but don't litter the rest of the world.

22. paulc
    Pirate

hype, hype and yet more hype...

all deliberately stirred up to feed the publicity machine to keep the album in the public view...

can just imagine Jo sixpack thinking "what's all this noise about the new G'n'R album? the Chinese are upset, must be good..."

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Originality

"How many band members can you replace and still maintain the band name?"

It depends who owns the name.

All five of The Drifters were replaced overnight by their management in 1958.

Most of those were not in the original group either.

The various incarnations must have had well over 100 members.

24. Peyton
    Happy

Am I the only one

who just loves it when the Chinese government gets riled up about something:

"venomous attack" which "turns its spear point on China"

Their statements are always so metaphoric and poetic - they rarely fail to make me chuckle.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@ Dr Mouse

"For F**KS SAKE, people have a right to express their oppinions, even if they arent in line with your own!"

Except for Chinese officials. Probably Christians too. And Scientologists. But other than those who disagree with me, you're all welcome to your opinions.

wtb irony icon

26. Wayland Sothcott
    Boffin

They miss the point of the spear

China believes they run a democracy. The word democracy literally means people rule. They have elections and voting so people get a choice of candidate except they are all in the same party.

Now you might take exception to that and say that we have three viable partys we could chose from. To that I say "Oh really!?"

Now you get the point, all our parties are the same. There is no choice because although we can chose between methods of delivery of rule, the actual rulers are behind the seans and self appointed.

Chinese democracy is the same as western democracy, we get to chose from the choices presented to us.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like