back to article Straw grants ICO half its wish list

More than a year after the government lost the discs containing the UK's entire child benefit database Jack Straw is offering to increase the funding and powers of the Information Commissioner's Office. The ICO wanted powers to investigate any organisation it suspected of failing to follow data protection principles. Straw is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dervheid
    Alert

"Privacy" you say?

"Thomas also questioned whether the broad thrust of the government's data sharing policy really took privacy seriously."

Poppycock!

'Privacy' doesn't feature in the NuLabourian Utopian Plan.

Except for the Governmental Elite, of course.

2. Jonathan

Why do they need more money?

They have already shown that they will stick behind big business against the consumer. Whats the point? BT illegally intercepted their customer's communications, and ICO says they are in the clear. If they arent willing to do anything about information privacy and security, why should we give them more money?

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Translation.

"Meanwhile thieves have made off with......"

In other words: "Now that the penalty for losing this sort of shit is being nailed publicly to the cross, we've found that a lot of stuff has been, er, 'stolen'.....".

Next week's news. The Home Office announces that a selection of CDs containing a load of sensitive data "went on fire by accident like".

Mines the one with the picture of Jimmy Hill in the pocket.

4. Jimmy Floyd
    Coat

Public vs private

In fairness to Jack Straw (never thought I'd say those words), I'm more concerned with the public sector's treatment of my data than the private's.

Of course, that leads to the obvious question about how far up the ICO would be allow to probe, for instance, Wacky Jacqui's shit-hole (of an ID-card scheme).

Mine's the one with the blatant sexual in-your-end-doh!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

4 desktop computers?

How did they "loose" those?

6. NB
    Unhappy

@4 destop computers?

FOR FUCKS SAKE! IT'S 'LOSE' WHEN AN ITEM IS MISPLACED AND NOT TO BE FOUND. 'LOOSE' IS THE OPPOSITE OF TIGHT.

Sorry for the cruise control, foaming-at-the-mouth, rabidness there but that mistake is becoming so fucking common these days that I'm seriously despairing at the literary competence of el regs readers.

7. Philip Blythe
    Black Helicopters

Missing the Govs get out..

The ICO can now investigate public bodies handling of data.

So all the public bodies need to do is contract out to private firms and if it goes missing the ICO is powerless as the public body did not lose it. Go ask firm X, they'll say, oh that's right you can't can you and proceed to smile smugly.

What genius good old Jack thinks he has.

Am I sounding a little cynical here?

8. Pierre
    Paris Hilton

loose desktops

I guess the watchman was doing a loose job. He loosely kept an eye on them, and overall security must be pretty loose. Now there are 4 loose desktops.

Hope I didn't lose you here. Icon because she's quite loose.

9. Pierre
    Coat

@NB

"@4 destop computers? " "FOR FUCKS SAKE" "el regs readers"

FFS, if you're going go all teachey, avoid typos and cure your RGA (reverse greengrocer's apostrophe) syndrome. Also, "this mistake" might have been slightly more appropriate than "that mistake". But I'm just saying.

Hey, don't push, I'm leaving already

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Losing kit != losing data

Statistics etc blah blah blah.

Losing kit is bad, unless of course you lose your horrible laptop and get a shiny new one. But losing kit does not mean that any data has been lost.

However, anecdotal evidence would suggest that there is a correlation between the amount of sensitive data on board a piece of kit, and the likelihood that some idiot will leave it on a train/bus/backseat of taxi or in a pub loo.

In an organisation that I am quite familiar with, I know of a case that went like this:

- External party comes in to do some work

- CIO says 'no 3rd party laptops, no removable media'. Good man.

- External party takes data on a USB stick. Loses it. Mucho sensitive data on it. Fesses up.

- CEO 'appoints' CIO as data security officer, tries to sack him for security breach

- CIO has a fit and threatens legal action

- External contractor slapped across the wrist with wet bus ticket

- 'Reorganisation' a month or two later sees CIO role downgraded

So CIO was hoisted on a large petard as a scapegoat precisely because the organisation had failed to take data security seriously - until there was a problem.

but by then, said horse has bolted.

I'd like to see a study on how many cases are reported compared to how many there really are...

11. Nebulo
    Coat

72 hard drives?

If those are the nice, nickable external sort, there would be a *lot* more than a few DVDs' worth of our data on them.

If they're not ... you mean people are wandering in with screwdrivers and ... ?

Mine's the one with a couple of hard drives and a screwdriver in the pocket.

This topic is closed for new posts.