back to article Who needs malware? IBM says most hackers just PowerShell through boxes now, leaving little in the way of footprints

A company's internal network, once compromised, is now more likely to be ransacked by automated scripts than a piece of malware. This according to researchers with IBM's X-Force, who found that in 2018 just 43 per cent of the attacks it analyzed utilized any sort of locally installed files. Rather, the hackers utilized …

1. Cronus

Avoiding writing malware to disk is not a new idea. An approach (admittedly for Unix/Linux systems) is in fact described in this Phrack article from 2004 — http://phrack.org/issues/62/8.html

1. Aodhhan

The article didn't suggest the attack vector is new. Heck, it's been available long before your phrack 2004 article.

However, PS makes it very easy to do.

For instance: with one line of PS code you can load into memory and run mimikatz--with various options, or run your favorite script(s).

Perhaps you should take some time to learn PowerShell, instead of thinking there is no way it can be better than Linux.

Think about it... if all you can do is Linux, then you're half the hacker of someone who can do both!

1. muhfugen

PowerShell is a horribly verbose language with exceptionally poor performance.

2. Teiwaz

However, PS makes it very easy to do.

So is PS really that powerful a godlike language, or the universe it was design for (rhymes with bindows) horribly vulnerable or is it a mix of both?

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

It is as powerful and expressive as a UNIX shell would be in the same security context. Make of that what you will.

1. Graham Cobb Silver badge

I am experienced in Linux, shells (particularly bash), scripting (perl/tcl/...) and programming, and am only fairly low level in PowerShell but even I can see that PS is very powerful, particularly the native support for (and extension of piping to) full objects. Yes, it is wordy and slow and often tedious, and I don't like it, but it is more powerful in its constructs than bash -- close to the power of a typical Linux scripting language like perl or python.

Combined with its native support for some remote actions and remote objects, I can see that it is an effective vector for security issues. Unfortunately, it is also very useful for those of us who like to script many tasks and I fear that the knee-jerk reaction of many corporates will be to prevent users being able to create and run their own scripts (Powershell has options to prevent running unsigned scripts).

1. egbegb

Users versus Administrators

Users should be able to use PS scripts and write programs. Perhaps they should also digitally sign them to prevent anonymous scripts coming in and stealing their stuff. A two step process to sign any executable (script or binary) might prove invaluable to all.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Re: Users versus Administrators

Only if those "users'" job is to write ps scripts and programs.

What percentage of users is that?

1. Baldrickk

You've never found it useful to script up a one-off task despite it not being your job?

Even just for things like batch-renames of files you own, knowing how to script things makes you a lot more efficient.

indeed i do , i live for scripting, but if you have a task that needs the power of powershell , you're gonna need ws admin privelideges , and probly access to servers where data is held , in which case you must be manually doing a job the I.T. dept should have automated for you already.

An apprentice left our office , to another where they had him manually looking up 5 or 6 hundred email address in outlook address book using a list of names they had, and adding them to an outgoing email

They do that every month apparently. It takes all day.

I automated that for them in 20 minutes,

I just try not to think how much of that kind of thing is going on all over this hospital , and industry in general, especially as nobody seems to appreciate my talents for automating things and saving 1000s of man hours regularly , at least not enough to make it my job and pay me appropriately.

2. MrDamage Silver badge

I never script a one-off task.

If I have to do a task a second time, then I'll start working on a script, as I know if I have to do it a second time, then inevitably there will be a third, fourth etc.

2. egbegb

Not true

Powershell has the ability to dynamically attach to and use any shared library on a Windows (desktop or server) machine. I am unaware of any Linux or Unix shell that has such a powerful facility.

The article's suggestion of using only digitally signed scripts when in super user mode is the best solution to my knowledge. That would put a stop to all this nonsense until the bad guys figure out a way around that. Perhaps all executables should be digitally signed.

1. Falmor

Re: Not true

Both Per and Python allow you to call shared libraries on any platform.

3. Baldrickk

Re: Perhaps you should take some time to learn PowerShell, instead of...

I really like powershell - the utility of it, and the concept behind it.

I just dislike working with it. I wish I didn't, but I do, and a lot of it has to do with the verbosity of it.

Linux shells can be just as or more cryptic, but at least the commands tend to fit on one line.

Personally, I'm happy using python to perfom the sort of tasks I might want to use a shell script for, and as long as I stay away from OS features it's already completely cross platform, with those additional features only taking a little more effort to implement based on host.

2. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Meh

Cue corporate policies requiring PowerShell be prohibted from executing on all corporate machines in 3... 2... 1...

(Come on - we all know a company like this...)

1. stiine Silver badge
      Thumb Up

That's a damn good idea.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Then cue someone from the C-suite demanding the access tout suite or there will be a clean sweep of the IT department, laws be damned (he's also chummy with the legal team).

3. Captain Scarlet

yup cmd.exe is disabled

Powershell 1.0 is banned

Joy of joys

4. Gnosis_Carmot

Cue the corporate stupidity

Because you can't manage Exchange server without PS and SQL is going that direction.

1. muhfugen

Re: Cue the corporate stupidity

StorageSpaces Direct is the same way. Also Server Manager is just a front end to PowerShell scripts.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Cue the corporate stupidity

........ but shouldn't do administration activities from your laptop, you should do them via a jump box, management centre, bastion host or PAM solution.

So you shouldn't need PS from your end user device

5. TheVogon

You can set a policy to only run signed PowerShell code.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

I thought it was more a case that you can set a policy to allow running unsigned code. Have they relaxed the defaults since the original release?

1. el_oscuro
          WTF?

That's unless someone *reeeeeeeally* wants to bypass the security policy, then they can do this:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/ken_brumfield/2014/01/19/simple-way-to-temporarily-bypass-powershell-execution-policy/

2. Falmor

Default for .ps1 files is edit

Also, Powershell scripts don't run if you click on them or a link to them. Instead they open in an editor, either notepad or the ISE. Makes it much more unlikely that someone would accidentally run one.

1. DJSpuddyLizard

Re: Default for .ps1 files is edit

Does anyone really think hackers leave them with a .ps1 extension?

I've seen recently a lot of ".avi" files that are really shortcuts containing powershell code to execute program x from an internet location.

6. Andrew Commons

No, cue a policy that uses native access control to only allow those who need to run Powershell to access the executables.

Simple and sensible.

7. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

"Cue corporate policies requiring PowerShell be prohibted "

Damn right , why the hell does linda the accountant need poweshell?

1. Graham Cobb Silver badge

Because Linda the accountant happens to have some computing knowledge and can be more effective at her particular job by automating some analysis of invoices that arrive by Outlook mail, extracting some useful data and inserting it into an Excel object in a Powerpoint slide.

Scripting is a poweruser tool, not an administrator tool.

1. Halfmad

In that case make her request it via a call logged with the service desk and allocate access via an AD OU.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Scripting is a poweruser tool, not an administrator tool."

Irrelevant. Either it is a serious vulnerability or it is not.

If it is, lock it down.

Ninety percent of the time security reduces convenience or efficiency.

Unlocked doors are much easier to go through - no unlocking, no looking for keys, no need to ask permission to enter a restricted area. That doesn't mean they are always a good idea.

3. EricM

So there might still be hope for IBM?

A news item from IBM that does neither contain "Watson" nor "cognitive" and that contains a valid analysis plus some good advice.

That's better than IBM news bites have been doing for years...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Re: So there might still be hope for IBM?

Or this could be further proof of the folksy adage involving blind squirrels and the discovery of acorns.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But it refers to their X-Force (formerly ISS) and its coke addled employees. (I knew a few of them)

1. Rich 11
        Joke

its coke addled employees

*shakes head sadly*

They really ought to move on to one of those cola zero-sugar products. It'd be so much better for their teeth.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Nah, they really need bigger straws so they can fit ice cubes up them when they're snorting coke.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I use privilege escalation when hacking so I can eat lobster thermidor, it makes for a more pleasant back door afterwards.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

in contrast

I go for the bean curry with garlic bread and an very unpleasant backdoor

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I recommend a nice hot vindaloo in case you need a fast escape.

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge
        Coat

Tarka curry.

Like a vindaloo but a little 'otter

My coats the one with mango chutney satins down the front

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Satin details on your shirt front - classy.

I work with a Goth who could rock that look with style.

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Bloody auto correct

5. Ima Ballsy
    Childcatcher

Putting the .....

POWER back in da shelll ....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Editorial question

There appear to be two independent instances of a 43% rate of something in the article - I suspect a cut & paste error is more likely than both hitting that same percentage. Might want to check (and then feel free to delete this)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Editorial question

Trying to do the math:

29% - phishing attacks of which 45% (13% overall) were "business email compromise"

43% - unsecured public facing systems

At this point, I still don't know what proportion of attacks used Powershell, so i read the IBM press release and get:

"More than half of cyberattacks (57 percent) leveraged common administration applications like PowerShell and PsExec to evade detection". Only now I'm at almost 140% of attacks so I assume there is some overlap and if a large chunk of that is unsecured public facing systems, then the answer is likely the convenience of Powershell vs bring your own tools that might trip AV scanners.

Assuming good practices are followed (privilege separation between user and any administrative accounts, LAPS for administrative access to workstations, regular password changes for administrative user accounts/ widely used service accounts on workstations, disabling cached credentials where possible, patching, web access filtering, local AV/malware prevention), has there been an actual rise in attacks/successful attacks because of Powershell/PsExec?

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Editorial question

Not mutually exclusive sets. In many cases, the PS attacks were run on an insecure public-facing system. Sometimes, the PS attack was run on credentials obtained from a phishing attack. The 57% is the number you are looking for.

7. Chairman of the Bored

Ironic that...

...We have to use Power Shell to remove a lot of crap and cruft from Win 10 to make it suck less and hopefully reduce the attack surface

1. RobinCM

Re: Ironic that...

Presumably you're an admin though?

There's zero need for a standard user to be able to execute PowerShell. Decent Windows security people have been advocating disabling PS for users for quite a while. Likewise for VBA, and in fact all kinds of other stuff that comes with the operating system. This used to be called hardening, but is now just good security practice.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Although you might not be able to do that for long. Microsoft is hell bent on killing cmd, so your only option for login scripts is going to be PowerShell.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

But you can sign your login scripts.

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Microsoft is hell bent on killing cmd, so your only option for login scripts

I would use cscript.exe and a vbs file for login scripts, but no ones asking ,much less paying , so i wont.

1. el_oscuro

I'll have to keep cscript.exe in mind when developing reverse shells. It is such a pain in the arse when A/V catches all of the metasploit ones.

2. Graham Cobb Silver badge

There's zero need for a standard user to be able to execute PowerShell.

That is not a true statement. For some standard users there are non-zero needs to use PowerShell. It is the only effective scripting language on Windows so anyone who wants to script anything (particularly anything recent) finds themselves using it.

For example, I, as a user. have a script which synchronises the database for my password manager regularly, including determining whether the network is available at this time, etc.

I have another script which gathers data from items in Outlook, and I am planning to create another script which automates some Outlook tidying up.

And I have several other scripts.

Yes, users writing Powershell scripts is relatively uncommon, but it is certainly not the case that there is "zero need".

1. canthinkofagoodname

Sure, but allowing access to PS for all non-privileged users on the basis that a small percentage of folk might have a use case for it isn't the best approach either.

I agree the "zero-need" is incorrect, but it's a pedantic issue to take; the intent behind the whole comment is that non-priv users should not have access to PS. Nothing wrong with that assertion.

If there is a use case, then allow controlled access to the shell on a case-by-case basis.

1. PM from Hell
            Thumb Up

I agree to restricting access to PS for non privileged users and even where there is an exception the scripts should be signed.

making a single users job a little bit easier is not an excuse for opening such a large threat surface

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Sure, but allowing access to PS for all non-privileged users on the basis that a small percentage of folk might have a use case for it isn't the best approach either."

And this is where the detail of the article is missing - is Powershell the issue or Powershell with admin access? There is very little you can do with Powershell in terms of reconnaissance of a network that can't be done with existing script files if you aren't an admin user other than the convenience of not needing a telnet/SSH client if they aren't installed (i.e. default settings) even with relatively restrictive policies (i.e. block cmd.exe/cscript/jscript, common script extensions and use AV that blocks hacking tools) as there is usually something left to run logon scripts or similar admin functions.

If the report details are actually "unsecured systems allow attackers full access to the tools on those systems to then use against other connected systems" what would the response be?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"For some standard users there are non-zero needs to use PowerShell."

So what stops you from submitting your scripts for vetting and signing?

8. Raedwald Bretwalda

There's more going on here than simply "using Power Shell". Unix has had a "powerful" shell since forever, yet has less frequent and harder to perform attacks. Are the attackers using Power Shell to perform operations that are easy because of weaknesses in the system? So the message should be "easy to exploit weaknesses" rather than "OMG Power Shell"?

1. doublelayer Silver badge

The point is less "PS is bad" and more "malware in the field is moving to PS, making detection of files on disk less reliable as a method of confirming you're safe". There could be several reasons that a PS script is less secure than a Linux shell script, but it could simply be that more effort is being put into using those scripts. Either way, you have to get in enough to run the script.

1. ds6 Silver badge
        Windows

Also, while this comes from someone who dislikes PS, I'll say that PS is inherently more powerful than the average *nix shell, since a) there is lots of builtin functionality in modern PS that can do everything a modern *nix shell can and more by worming its way into every modicum of Windows functionality, and 2) modern versions of Windows ship with .NET and PS can directly utilize its classes, types, methods, et al., giving it even more power. Ever used PS on the latest Server?

I only use PS when it is the best option, but when I do, it puts in work. I utilize it on the job to provision gold images, in deployment, patching workstations, and for remote shell logins... I even replaced our old, crufty, expensive, multi-phase, unmaintained ADToolkit setup with a grand total of 10 lines of PS on the domain controller, running as a scheduled task every hour.

The bottom line is PowerShell has a module for every part of the system; can be extended with scripts, modules, binaries, and .NET classes/methods; and comes preinstalled on every modern Windows in some version or another... Just like Bourne shells, really. Combine that with the fact it's made by Microsoft and is targeted for Windows, and it's suddenly ripe for exploitation and vulnerability automation, so it's a surprise it took until now to finally start getting noticed—by either side.

Addendum: Funnily enough, PS shares a similar issue with *nix shells and unreliable userlands; the latest versions of PS greatly differ from the original incarnation, including changes to syntax and loads of incompatible features. Even the installed .NET version is enough to cause headache.

9. Version 1.0 Silver badge

It's a feature that we requested

For years people complained that UNIX system were much better than Windows for system administration because so much housekeeping can be automated with a small shell script - Microsoft listened to us and along came Power Shell ... and the hackers are demonstrating what a powerful shell script can do to the system.

"Live and Learn" used to be a phrase everybody used, but who learns from history these days?

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: It's a feature that we requested

For years people complained that UNIX system were much better than Windows for system administration because so much housekeeping can be automated with a small shell script

and then some idiot decided "curl … | /bin/bash" was a brilliant way to install software.

1. Teiwaz

and then some idiot decided "curl … | /bin/bash" was a brilliant way to install software.

Well, that's an idiots last resort to installing s/w on 'Linux. So it's idiots all the way down that trouserleg of time.

1) your distros repo

2) compile it youself (inc. Arch AUR and similar)

3) deb repos (for debian), PPAs and other options for getting out of repo or fresher packages on release based distros.

3) (most recent, and gain popularity on some distros) snaps, flatpacks or Appimages.

The last thing anyone should do is run curl commands or bash scripts copy/pasted or sourced from the internet without proofreading, especially if it needs root access.

Never mind how powerful PS is or is not, or how secure Windows is or isn't the first gatekeeper to a system is how wary the human who is controlling, operating or managing

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

""Live and Learn" used to be a phrase everybody used, but who learns from history these days?"

Because more and more often, there's no opportunity to learn. Too many are under Damocles conditions: slip up once and it's Game Over.

10. Mystery Machine

Presume they're still in the main using using malware to get through the front door

<EOM>

11. Pete 2 Silver badge

Don't make friends and influence people

> Finally, the report found, the tried and true social engineering attack remains as effective as it has ever been.

Sounds like a good reason to employ anti-social computer staff

Re: Don't make friends and influence people

its not the "computer staff" that get engineered

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't there any logging in Windows?

Forgive me, I'm barely a Windows user, let alone a Windows guru.

But surely there is a way to enable logging of commands executed in Powershell? And surely a way to make that logging remote to a hardened host/appliance?

1. ds6 Silver badge
      Go

The Event Logger only exists for scammers to scare old ladies

https://www.fireeye.com/blog/threat-research/2016/02/greater_visibilityt.html

2. canthinkofagoodname

Re: Isn't there any logging in Windows?

Powershell v5 supports enhanced logging beyond the normal logging "PS Engine started / Stopped", or "PS Shell opened / closed". Enhanced logging includes stuff like script tracing (kind of like a key logger, but for powershell, also includes logging for spawned or called processes), module logging (triggers events if certain cmdlets or combinations of are executed) etc.

Trouble is, as with any comprehensive logging strategy, it requires a lot of storage to maintain any useful timeframe of logs (and potential costs with implementing something like Splunk or ELK to ingest and index those logs), and company's still shy away from spending buckets of cash on security solutions and strategies which might be needed (i.e. cannot guarantee the need or ROI).

There are other issues at play though too; previous versions of the PS engine can still be present on a system which don't support enhanced logging.

PS v2/3 are perfect examples; they don't provide the same level of support for modern cmdlets, but they also don't support enhanced logging, and are still directly integrated into the .Net Framework. An attacker would still have a massive range of effects using the old engines, and a much lower likelihood of detection.

Haven't read IBM's reporting direct yet, but I would be curious to see what version of PS they typically see actors using...

13. Howard Hanek
    Linux

Protected System Ring

Windows doesn't have one and so.........their scripting language is THE shortcut to anything and everything. Restricting applications from writing directly to the system would make a better world.

14. Agent Tick

This can easily be prevented....

.. just do your daily work from an standard user account, not admin, and no such problems - much safer environment due to password!

15. the Jim bloke
    Thumb Down

Business Email Compromise

... isn't that what the rest of the world calls 'spear phishing'?

16. steviebuk Silver badge

Not much protection

"It is possible to wrap protections around PowerShell to stop it being abused, such as requiring scripts to be digitally signed."

People pay for digital signatures or steal them. Been going on for years. I have the Sysinternals Video Library on my YouTube channel that Mark Russinovich and David Solomon were kind enough to allow me to upload. Those are old now, over 10 years old and it's even mentioned in there that "digital signatures" are purchased by malware authors so mean very little.

1. PM from Hell
      FAIL

Re: Not much protection

This supports the argument I have been making for many years that any corporate body should have its own internal certificate authority. whee I have seen this implemented it's not a huge cost but does give you the ability to sign with a self generated certificate which never needs to leave your network boundary. This allows much greater granularity of control and prevents the organisation becoming the victim of an external cheap or free cert provider being hacked.

There are some very specific hardware controls you need to take over the physical root CA server however and I have seen more than one which was hosted in heavy duty steel cage bolted to a concrete floor.

1. hayzoos
        Big Brother

Re: Not much protection

When I heard signed script, I thought they were talking about corporate CA certs. The certificate store has grown to be a mess though with CAs from world+dog pre-populated for your convenience. This is another area where hardening needs to targeted. You have to trust the CA which can produce a code signing certificate. Enough damage can be done even when the rouge CA only produces TLS certs and javascript execution is permitted on that basis.

I don't see why a corporate CA has to be limited to internal use either. Properly managed (I know fanatsy world) corporate CAs can be used to vet comms between partners, more trustworthy than common TLS or even some EV TLS certs issued by traditional third-party CAs.

Take a browse through the certificate store in a default Windows install. Allow your paranoia to interpret the names of some of them. Is there a five eyes CA in there? How about an FSB? Don't leave China out of consideration nor North Korea, Isreal, Iran; all of their spy groups have entertained the idea of gaining a foothold this way. If not, they do not deserve to have Intelligence in their names.

17. rmstock

IBM X-Force Report

Big Blue: "In cases where networks were compromised by attackers, IBM X-Force saw a shift to cybercriminals abusing administrative tools, instead of malware, to achieve their goals. "

Are you sure the local Admin wasn't pressured/bribed to share admin passwords and credentials ?

18. arctic_haze

Let's quote the classics

As someone famously said having Windows computers connected to the Internet is like going naked into a gay bar.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

19. fredesmite

YET ANOTHER REASON TO AVOID WINDOWS.

" FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION. IT IS INCLUDED IN THE PURCHASE PRICE "

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like