back to article Down productivity tools: Microsoft Teams takes a Monday tumble

Microsoft's collaborative Slack-alike, Teams, is having a difficult start to the week, with users unable to log in to share their hopes, dreams and Word documents with their co-workers. Problems started at around 13:00 UTC, as users found themselves presented with connection errors as they attempted to hook up to the service. …

1. Korev Silver badge
    Joke

Come on...

...give them some slack...

2. Paul Herber Silver badge

For those affected it's not an issue, it's a problem.

1. Groaning Ninny

s/problem/boon

The post is required, and must contain letters.

3. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Up

A colleague and I suffered a barf from it first thing (0900 GMT). But we both just closed the application and forgot about it. There has been no impact on our productivity.

1. MMR

Hmm?

What do you mean no impact on productivity? I was actually able to do some work without being constantly distracted.

4. Baldrickk

At least

it wasn't office 3xx again!

5. Captain Scarlet
    Trollface

Blast their naming convention

Come on MS name it Microsoft Teams 365, so we can then be horrid and call it Microsoft Teams 364!

1. N2
      Trollface

Re: Blast their naming convention

T364?

That's generous!

1. Danny 14

Re: Blast their naming convention

about a month ago I had a friend fr9m another organisation trying to convince me o365 was cheaper and better than out on premesis exchange 2016 setup. When i asked him to email me his quotes he couldnt as o365 was down. The irony.

6. Adrian 4

But didn't everyone use Slack because email was too much to keep up with ?

Surely that couldn't have been the completely stupid 'solution' that it appeared to be ?

I guess we'll have to just keep generating pointless alternatives to email that will be used for a year and then discarded because the rest of the world came too.

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Facepalm

We have both, they're not the same thing. Email's much easier to search but much harder to get people to respond to immediately. Email chains get easily out of order whereas a team chat is a collaboration so it's fairly good at keeping things in sequence. We use teams to set up live meetings that members from around the world can join. Difficult to do that with email.

I guess we generate alternatives to see if there's a better way of doing things. Are you genuinely saying you think people should stop trying to make better things?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There is the problem.

Everyone wants an immediate reply.

I am the most important person in the organisation and I will be dealt with first or I will throw my toys out of the pram, again!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"We have both, they're not the same thing."

Unfortunately, we've had Skype foisted upon us to replace organisation-wide mailing lists, and Skype for Business. So now it's completely impossible to filter (was that an IM, an important news item, or someone posting a picture of their cat?).

"Are you genuinely saying you think people should stop trying to make better things?"

Well, if MS could make Teams better, that'd be a start. I've had "phone" calls I can't answer because it didn't render the answer button (restarting it fixed that), it crashing on sending an IM, crashing on getting focus, missed call notifications with no call (i.e. no "phone ring" sound, just a straight "someone tried to call you"), the activity stream doesn't alert to all subscribed activity, etc, on the desktop client. On the web client I've been told that my browser (Chrome) isn't supported, and to please try Chrome...

3. Danny 14

so its like sharepoint then?

7. bombastic bob Silver badge
    FAIL

~The Cloud~

It's SO overrated!

How about let's get back to p2p communication and local applications and local storage? And maybe do a periodic zip or tarball and put THAT online someplace, for backup...

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Holmes

Why do things have to keep changing?

I don't know. After 30 years in the business I'd hoped the pace of change would have settled down by now. Instead I have to keep learning new stuff and "trying to keep relevant".

How tiresome!

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Why do things have to keep changing?

So, people should actually stop trying to make better things then ?

1. Anonymous Custard
          Headmaster

So, people should actually stop trying to make better things then ?

Certainly not, but they should also confirm once they've finished that they haven't actually made them worse.

The first rule of engineering should always apply - if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
        Coat

30 years is about the time it takes for the stuff you learned first to come back into fashion, so hang in there. You've nearly completed the circle.

8. Dwarf

Credibility.

How can any MS cloud sales droid seriously expect customers to believe that their blue cloud thing is resilient if they can’t even make their own platforms work reliably on it, it’s not like this is the first time something has gone done on it after all.

I’m running out of fingers and toes counting all the “blue sky of death” events - where there is not a cloud to be seen.

1. TaabuTheCat

Re: Credibility.

How? Because if MS/Oracle/Google/Amazon/et al have their way pretty soon the cloud thing will be the only choice. And even before that happens, as more and more people move to shaky cloud services there's this weird reverse herd immunity thing going on, where no one can point the finger at anyone else for their crap decision to move to the cloud, because they've made the same stupid decision and they're down too! So no one is vaccinated from the stupidity and everyone is sick at once. Joy.

1. Adrian 4

Maybe when we're all in the cloud and, instead of us pointing and laughing and saying 'I told you so', we're all in the same boat .. somebody will actually give a toss and make it work.

1. MrBoring

More likely we'll all have short notice, public holidays as no business apps will work for the whole world.

9. adnim
    Joke

It isn't a good look for Microsoft.

Less make up more substance?

It all went downhill from Horace goes skiing

1. Anonymous Custard
      Trollface

Re: It isn't a good look for Microsoft.

Well skiing uphill is rather tricky...

1. MJB7

Re: Skiing uphill

is relatively straightforward. I can't remember the last time I didn't ski in a closed loop. I suppose it's different if you do that silly downhill skiing rather than proper cross-country skiing.

10. Robert E A Harvey
    Stop

Time to dust off the on-prem systems. You'll need to find somewhere else to plug in the kettle

"Put it all in the cloud" they said.

"It will be more reliable" they said.

"You won't have to bother managing it" they said.

"We employ the best experts so you don't have to " they said.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least they're consistent

It's now as rubbish as the rest of their products.

12. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like