back to article US kids apparently talking like Peppa Pig... How about US lawmakers watching Doctor Who?

It seems the Chinese authorities were wise to be concerned about the rise of Peppa Pig, as reports have surfaced of American poppets adopting the squeaky English accent of the petite cartoon porker. British parents, weary of their kids adopting faux American accents after viewing the tsunami of entertainment from the other …

1. a_yank_lurker

Doctor Who

The only problem I have with feral 'elites' watching Doctor Who is they might think it is a documentary. Yes they are that stupid and vapid.

1. Rich 11

Re: Doctor Who

"Hey, Mike! Mike, have you seen that science program from England on the TV, you know, the one set in a box they've made yuger on the inside?"

"No, Mr President. That show promotes diversity. It is from the Devil, and Mother and I will have no truck with it."

"Well listen, Mike, I think I've got the solution to all our problems. We promised better healthcare, didn't we, and to protect people from illegal immigrants, and everyone's in favour of expanding the military, aren't they? They love my Space Force."

"What are you getting at, Mr President?"

"It's simple, Mike. We use the technology the English used, and put people's brains in robots: no more health problems for anyone. An armoured body, so no-one will be stabbed in their beds by the illegals. And those robot guys really know how to march, so they'll fit right in with the military. I bet they know how to fly spaceships too. Yeah, it'll be great. It's my greatest idea yet, even among all my greatest ideas!"

"You never cease to amaze me, Mr President..."

2. TRT Silver badge

Re: Doctor Who is a documentary...

Obviously fantasy.

"I never carry weapons. If people see you mean them no harm, they never hurt you. Nine times out of ten."

"Have you noticed that people's intellectual curiosity declines sharply the moment they start waving guns about?"

"No thanks, I've given them up. Guns can seriously damage your health, you know."

“You want weapons? We’re in a library! Books! Best weapons in the world! This room’s the greatest arsenal we could have. Arm yourself!”

1. TRT Silver badge

Do you know, I've never been downvoted so much for quoting Dr Who before.

Hm! Hm! Fascinating.

1. Arty Effem

You weren't downvoted for the quotes, but for knowing them.

1. TRT Silver badge
            Coat

Mine's the anorak with the fur lined hood.

2. TomPhan

DOCTOR: Mister President, that child just told you everything you need to know, but you weren't listening. Never mind, though, because the answer's yes. I'll take the case. Fellows, the guns, really? I just walked into the highest security office in the United States and parked a big blue box on the rug. Do you think you can just shoot me?

RIVER: They're Americans!

DOCTOR: Don't shoot. Definitely no shooting.

3. Michael Habel

Careful there Pal... That kind of yap will get you sent up for hate speach in some parts of the world. Hopefully sanaty will prevail once Britan manages to get a proper Brexit leader to run its afairs. As it is now. Its a slow burn for those that voted to leave, to realize its never going to be alowed to hapen.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wow, are you going for the record for misspellings?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Voted leave, can't spell

Not saying there's a causal link, but a correlation?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

What correlation can you derive from the 200,000 that blew off the vote to attend Glastonbury instead? Talk about an own goal.

1. WonkoTheSane
              Headmaster

Clearly, holding the Brexit vote at the same time as the Glastonbury Festival was intended to (successfully) bias the vote in favour of leave.

1. MGJ

My party all postal voted before heading to Glasto; the atmosphere there when the result of the advisory referendum came through was very sad. And as always it was muddy.

2. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

So what you're saying is people in Britain decided attending a festival was more important that deciding the direction theit nation was going to take, directly affecting everything in their lives down to the money in their pockets? And you're making fun only of those who voted to leave? Considering it was decided by 34 percent of the electorate you should only be heaping scorn on the third of the electorate that didn't vote. You know, the ones who decided that they are fine with what everyone else decides? Anyone complaining that didn't vote, they are the ones to make fun of. Next time a vote comes up, VOTE! OR DON'T BITCH ABOUT THE OUTCOME!

2. phuzz Silver badge

"blew off the vote to attend Glastonbury"

Postal votes, what are they?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Postal votes, what are they?

Eww.. like, actual paper man? Eww. Just Eww.

Can I vote via twitta?

1. Carpet Deal 'em

Like for leave, retweet for remain!

4. David Webb

Only problem I have with the current Doctor is that even though critics love it, the ratings are higher than they have been in years (consistently higher, reaching Tennant levels of consistency) and the stories are "fresher", is that people hate it simply because it's a female Doctor and she tackles actual historical issues like Rosa Parks, and anyone that disagrees with them is wrong.

I think the new Doctor is pretty good, the stories themselves feel diluted because she has too many companions so we don't see enough of her being all Doctory, three companions is only one more than having two companions but it just feels like too many. Give her one companion who she can bounce off and we may see a stronger character driven story, currently I think it's gone the total opposite of Clara where she became a stronger character than the actual Doctor.

1. TRT Silver badge

It's rather good that we don't see more of her being Doctory. She's annoying, her portrayal of the Doctor lacks any authority. Colin Baker had a similar problem. Lack of gravitas. I've no problem with a female lead, but they could have found someone with more intensity, surely. I'd have wet myself if Capaldi's regeneration had revealed someone like Josette Simon.

1. Robert Helpmann??
          Childcatcher

She's annoying, her portrayal of the Doctor lacks any authority. Colin Baker had a similar problem.

While I disagree with you concerning the current portrayal of the Doctor, I also had hoped that it would be a different actor in the role. As it had been established with Capaldi that there is a reason for the faces worn by the character, I wanted to see Michelle Gomez again... because whatever you think about which Doctor was the best, Missy definitely had it going on.

2. David Webb

I think your position actually works with my position. With so many companions it's very hard for the Doctor to assert herself and be all Doctory, some of the Doctor roles are taken by the other three characters which in itself gives the Doctor less to do. The storylines themselves are pretty strong, they just get diluted because it stops being a story about the Doctor and starts to be a story about the companions with the Doctor.

It is however true that they keep playing the "I'm now a female, if I were male things would be so much different" card but it does give us a different take on the series, how would the Doctor cope with things if the Doctor regenerated without a penis to lead the way. Could they have gone with a much stronger female lead? Possibly, but I think no matter which female actress played the Doc there would still be the whole "Dr Who Gone SJW!!!" videos with demands the Doctor grow a penis. Maybe if the Doctor decided that instead of wanting to be friends with everyone, she wanted to kick arse we would have different storylines maybe.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

From what I've read, the problems with Colin Baker's Doctor had more to do with misjudged (and very badly implemented) ideas towards his characterisation from those running the show, combined with bad writing in general (in part due to problems behind the scenes) than it had to do with Baker's acting.

1. TRT Silver badge

I do like Colin Baker as a person. He's a lovely bloke, and he loves the show to bits, probably more than any other surviving Doctor. But he was badly let down by the rest of the production team, it's true.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"From what I've read, the problems with Colin Baker's Doctor had more to do with misjudged (and very badly implemented) ideas towards his characterisation from those running the show, combined with bad writing in general (in part due to problems behind the scenes) than it had to do with Baker's acting."

Big Finish have developed Colin Bakers Doctor much further, and with better stories. He plays the part very well.

4. Rustbucket

She does have a lack of gravitas but I put it down to bad writing and directing -- and who came up with that costume?

5. Shadow Systems

At TRT, re: gravitas.

Careful what you wish for, I hear Doctor Ruth Westheimer would like the job.

;-D

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Doctor Ruth Westheimer

Well at least they wouldn't need to change the look of the sonic if she took over.

1. Shadow Systems

Re: Doctor Ruth Westheimer

She'd give a whole new meaning to screwdriver. ;-D

2. Anonymous Custard
        Headmaster

It's also interesting with those storylines that the programme has more or less come full-circle. The original premise for the show when it first began in the 60's was that it would be more of an educational set-up, doing such adventures in historical times to showcase them and the facts about them.

1. TRT Silver badge

Have to admit, I LOVE that aspect of the new series. I wish they would give up trying to crowbar aliens into it somehow. They didn't need an alien threat in that Punjab one. Nice curveball that they were only witnesses, but they could have lost the aliens altogether.

3. jelabarre59

Only problem I have with the current Doctor is that even though critics love it, the ratings are higher than they have been in years...

Only the "critics" ratings are higher. Viewer ratings have gone down the jolly crapper.

...and the stories are "fresher"...

If by 'fresher' you mean bland and tasteless, then yes. I was really disappointed, I figured having a female doctor would be an exciting opportunity, new outlook, etc. Instead we got a shedload of scrunchy-faced 'meh'.

5. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Mr President, I have a solution to the housing crisis! The British have developed technology that allows massive space inside a small, blue box! We could repackage it, but thing of the potential! Thousands of luxury condos, each taking up less than 5 square meters.. The next Trump Tower's going to be huge! I've tasked the NSA, CIA and TLAs to make it their top priority to acquire this building method they refer to as 'TARDIS'.

(and it just struck me that due to the length of time the TARDIS has been kicking around, anyone who tries to patent a pocket dimension is looking at a lot of prior art. Not that that seems to stop patent trolls.)

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> "feral 'elites'"

What does "feral" mean in this context?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

"Federal politicians". Like "M$' it's a form of idiocy signalling.

7. jimbo60

"The only problem I have with feral 'elites' watching Doctor Who is they might think it is a documentary. Yes they are that stupid and vapid."

We already have elites who think islands may capsize and who come up with stuff like the Green New Deal. It would hardly be a step lower to think Doctor Who is a documentary.

8. jelabarre59

With the way the series is going, I'd rather be watching *THIS* version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3qZYUPi2Y

2. paulll

I have questions about the intellect of anyone who can hear the expression,"sonic screwdriver," used in earnest, without flinching.

Peppa's hilarious, though. Not as good as Octonauts, but right up there.

1. Test Man

"Peppa's hilarious, though. Not as good as Octonauts, but right up there."

Hush your mouth! Octonauts are OK but Peppa, Ben and Holly and Go Jetters are miles better!

;)

1. DropBear

Naaah. My Spirit Animal is still Spanky Ham...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Kids these days don't know how lucky they are. In my formative years I had 7 Zark 7. Ubercorn is way cooler....

3. druck Silver badge

Paw Patrol is the best (according to my 5 and 3 year olds).

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Boffin

But...

Ivor the Engine (and Dragon) were better than anything before or since.

Better go, there's Jones the Post at the door.

1. Anonymous Custard
          Thumb Up

Re: But...

Anything by SmallFilms and Oliver Postgate/Peter Firmin are classics and gets my vote.

But I have to admit a soft spot for Bod and Ludwig as well, but I'm showing my age...

1. TRT Silver badge

Bleep and Booster?

1. Toni the terrible Bronze badge

Noggin the Nog Rules

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Bleep and Booster

Shamelessly ripped off by Futurama.

"But I have to admit a soft spot for Bod and Ludwig as well, but I'm showing my age..."

Age? Flob-a-dob. Weeeeeeeed!

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Nothing's as good as Dangermouse though. And that teaches a proper accent too.

1. Excellentsword (Written by Reg staff)

You mean Rastamouse

1. SteveK

I just think of Rastamouse as a kids version of Death in Paradise..

2. defiler

Donnie Murdo in Gaelic. Oh how I laughed (and hummed) when I ended up working with a guy called Donnie Murdo...

Oh, and they only chose that name because the letters fit his outfit. The cartoon that is, not the guy I worked with.

3. jelabarre59

Nothing's as good as Dangermouse though. And that teaches a proper accent too.

Only the original ones, though. Those recent revival ones are crap.

1. TRT Silver badge

I went to college with the son of the chap who invented DangerMouse.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Mushroom

Peppa Pig, for those fortunate enough to have avoided the cartoon, is an ageless talking pig-child who lives in a world populated by talking mammals. The squeaking of the creature and associated theme tune is usually enough to kick off an involuntary twitch in a parent’s eyelid while also assuring a few minutes of peace as offspring are transfixed.

It's like a David Attenborough documentary compared to competing cartoons.

I also identify with Daddy Pig and agree with your analysis. <twitch>

1. . 3

The King in Ben and Holly has it harder. I empathise with that guy more. And the grown-up's jokes in that show are funnier.

The kids prefer Hey Duggee. I hope that gets exported one day and America ends up with a generation impersonating an ott Alexander Armstrong.

2. DJSpuddyLizard

I used to use Peppa Pig to inform my then-four-year-old about the realities of living in England (she's British-American but we live in the USA.) such as visiting the beach in the snow, rainy weather, finding loud characters who sound like Brian Blessed everywhere, etc.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Peppa Pig, for those fortunate enough to have avoided the cartoon, is

Or just watch this in a loop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zupder2havA

4. Alister

The squeaking of the creature and associated theme tune is usually enough to kick off an involuntary twitch in a parent’s eyelid

So true, so true.

I wonder if as an adult one can claim PTSD from having to watch children's programmes on a seemingly endless loop...

The Tweenies, Teletubbies and Fimbles should be classed as Weapons of Mass Destruction...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

... How can you fail to mention: "In the Night Garden"?

With the farting airship (aka the "Pinky Ponk") all voiced by Sir Derek Jacobi.

Just wait until the US tots get a hold of that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Just wait until the US tots get a hold of that."

Would you like a ride on my Ninky Nonk?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Would you like a ride on my Ninky Nonk?"

This would presumably be the version voiced by the late Michael Jackson?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

In The Night Garden?

Ah, the one that's all taking place in the delusional mind of a shipwreck survivor in a lifeboat on the open sea, slowly going mad from a complete lack of food and water and sucking on the corner of a blanket for salts and moisture. That one. Sleep tight, kiddies.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: In The Night Garden?

"Ah, the one that's all taking place in the delusional mind of a shipwreck survivor in a lifeboat on the open sea, slowly going mad from a complete lack of food and water and sucking on the corner of a blanket for salts and moisture. That one. Sleep tight, kiddies."

I think you'll find that's Alan Moore's Watchmen.

But tell me: which part do you want Sir Derek to play in a film of that book?

3. Alister

How can you fail to mention: "In the Night Garden"?

I think I was spared that, my kids had grown out of the CBeebies before that was released.

2. WonkoTheSane
      Trollface

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid!

A "Peppa Pig" movie* is hitting cinemas in April.

*By movie, the producers mean ten new 6-minute episodes strung together

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Re: Be afraid. Be VERY afraid!

Weird how the Shaun The Sheep movie was released in the Year of the Sheep, and the Peppa Pig movie is being released in the Year of the Pig. It makes you wonder who they think their target audience is. ;)

3. annodomini2

Molly and Mack tops all of them for eye twitching and heading for a nervous breakdown, when little one(s) has/have been watching it on repeat for the last x time.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Square Pusher?

Surely that's Sokoban, not Pac-Man?

2. TomPhan

Forgotten your login Marcus?

6. Headwesty

Accent Imperialism

It's not just American kids. My northern grandson really likes jumping in maddy paddles too.

(I have to confess however that I am especially fond of my Peppa Dad T-shirt...)

1. paulll

Re: Accent Imperialism

Everybody loves jumping up and down in muddy puddles.

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Eventually one reaches a state where not only children but grandchildren have grown out of these things.

However grandson will still sometimes watch the original Dangermouse. That has some wonderfully surreal jokes at times.

8. Locky
    Flame

As seen at a Yorkshire fate

Kids! Come meet Peppa Pig at 11am

From 1 - A hog roast

9. DJV Silver badge

"tsunami of entertainment"

You sure "entertainment" is the correct word here?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A friend tells a story of asking a child what they were watching:

"F*cking Peppa Pig!"

"I'm not sure that's what it's called."

"Well that's what Dad calls it."

11. TheVogon

So learning to speak English without a foreign accent then rather than American English with a drawl?

1. TRT Silver badge

American parents would find their child having an English accent rather creepy. Something to be scared of, in fact.

"Damn you, you wretched harridan! You will rue the day! Vengeance will be mine."

12. Andytug

Good.

It's justifiable retaliation for all that wailing tweenager crap they sent over here. iCarly being the worst example.

13. STOP_FORTH
    Happy

About time

Generations of British nippers grew up saying "zee" instead of "zed" thanks to the cultural imperialists from Sesame Street.

Jolly good show, though, what?

1. druck Silver badge

Re: About time

That and all those learning letters toys.

2. MGJ

My ex did her best; she was in the pilot audience of kids in Manchester in the mid 70's and burst into tears when Big Bird come on. The other kids joined in, and Granada passed on it. It wasnt until C4 came along that we got the delights of Bert and Ernie, the Count and Oscar The Grouch.

3. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Yer wot? Sesame Street never aired in the UK. The British broadcasters looked at promo tapes and decided it was too provincial to be suitable for UK kids.

14. jake Silver badge

Peppered Pig is BRITISH???

That's odd ... And here I thought good eats knew no political boundaries ...

Doctor Who post 1986 is unwatchable, IMO.

(I'm up early, checking the smokehouse ... in a deluge in Sonoma, CA)

1. defiler

Re: Peppered Pig is BRITISH???

Aww - David Tennant made a great Doctor, and grew up about 10 minutes away from where I was born. And Peter Capaldi was outstanding for the most part. May be a Scottish thing though...

1. WonkoTheSane
        Headmaster

Re: Peppered Pig is BRITISH???

Sylvester McCoy (Dr 7) is Scots, too.

IMHO, his best line was in "Battlefield" (the Arthurian episode)

Archaeologist: "No one's been able to decipher the carving."

Doctor: "It says, Dig Hole Here."

Archaeologist: "Extraordinary. What does it say that in?"

Doctor: "My handwriting."

15. Flakk
    Joke

One can but hope that this British influence does not lead to a wall erected in the US to divide those who pronounce "scone" correctly.

I wouldn't worry about that. We're too busy enjoying our "crew-saunts" to worry about your "sconces".

1. MGJ

Spotted in New York; a "beef croissant" for sale*

*it was a sausage roll, but dont ask me why it wasnt pork

1. jake Silver badge

"dont ask me why it wasnt pork"

New York has a large percentage of folks who keep kosher. Know your customer base if you want to make a profit!

16. Captain Hogwash

Re: "A simple way to cure the problem..."

It's a problem?

17. Chris G
    Trollface

So violence in computer games and on TV have no influence on kids but accents do?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And now for a balanced and moderate comment

The little I glimpse of children's (and adults') tv convinces me that it is deliberately dumbing down and out kids and adults alike, with just a few exceptions that are held up as justification for the tide of drivel that makes up at least 95% of programming.

Anyone who can't find enough crap to zone out to on the net now is simply not trying.

Anyone stupid enough to expose their kids to modern tv deserves the inarticulate, ADHD labelled, future psychotic that they will likely get, but I don't so pack it in.

Those having kids just to park them in front of the tv for hours a day should be shot.

19. bed

Clangers...

Since no-one, so far, has mentioned the Clangers... I just did.

1. WonkoTheSane

Re: Clangers...

The Clangers have had a large influence on the moon landing conspiracy

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Coat

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/clangers-121113113749-phpapp01/95/spacetime-for-clangers-2-638.jpg?cb=1352806925

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Love that! I still love watching The Clangers - I have the DVD!

2. Adrian 4

Or Roobarb and Custard ?

20. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

The new Doctor isnt doing too bad

Considering, that is, the abysmal plots, incessant plot contrivances and the gaping holes. Once upon a time, in a galaxy far away, the Doctor Who stories hung together and - almost - made sense. Nowadays they are riddled with inconsistencies, illogicalities and holes big enough to fly a Dalek mothership through without worrying the slightest about damaging the paintwork. Dont get me started on the saccharine political correctness and the endless guy-in-a-rubber aliens.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The new Doctor isnt doing too bad

The problem with Doctor Who is that the stories have the subtly of a teenagers hastily written story for a school assignment on feminism and diversity.

These kind of stories can be a lot better, I am currently binge watching the Orville (sure I know Seth McFarlane isn't everyone's cup of tea but he does play it largely "straight" with a joke here and there), and the stories cover similar themes at times but you don't really notice that much because it's done well, female officers are treated identically to male, various races including aliens are well represented and equally promoted and encouraged to seek more responsible roles (forget skin colour, or race, when you are an amorphous blob of gel being given a position of responsibility, I'd say that's pretty inclusive ).

The Executive Director, & screenwriter of the Orville worked on a number of Star Trek series and movies and it shows by the great stories they have, the new Dr Who on the other hand constantly complains how useless men are, and we have a man giving birth because...well just because..(Red Dwarf did it way better years before), I pretty much stopped watching at that point because it was way to preachy, you have to like the main character in something like this, and though Jody Whittaker is great she is lumbered with appalling scripts, poor stories and too many sidekicks.

Fire Dr Who's scriptwriters and get someone in who can write good stories and we can see it climb the ratings again, regardless of whether the Dr is male or female, just treat the audience maturely (yes even the kids who watch it)

21. Eddy Ito

No worries about a wall as in most of the US "scone" is pronounced "biscuit" and it's typically served with gravy.

1. disgruntled yank

Actually

Usually I pronounce scones inedible.

American biscuits, properly made, are excellent. If you find someone who knows how to make ham gravy, all the better, but biscuits are OK taken neat.

"No worries about a wall as in most of the US "scone" is pronounced "biscuit" and it's typically served with gravy."

We have that here too. Savoury scones floating in a stew. It's called Cobbler. (Although what you call "gravy" and what we call gravy are not necessarily the same thing)

22. keithpeter Silver badge
    Boffin

Dr Who Theme

Quote from OA

"The theme tune is still like a sonic screwdriver to the eardrum"

Radiophonic Workshop

Delia Derbyshire

Daphne Oram

Delia was the glamorous one (with, sadly, alcohol problems) but Daphne wrote the book on electronic music.

I say all this having wielded a razor blade to 1/4 inch 15ips tape myself some half a century ago.

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Re: Dr Who Theme

"Daphne Blake" Oram? That's bizarre.

23. VikiAi
    Happy

I have never had the chance to see or hear Peppa Pig.

Though I have eaten her.

In biscuit form.

1. VikiAi
      Facepalm

Re: I have never had the chance to see or hear Peppa Pig.

I'm not sure what the down-voters think I was saying, but I was referring to when I happened to buy some Peppa Pig biscuits from the local dollar store specials bin once while changing buses on the way to work. And, as one tends to do with biscuits, I ate them for morning tea!

24. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Pah! The One True Way to pronounce "scone" has two syllables.

25. Jude Bradley

Surely Paw Patrol is just rehashed Thunderbirds.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon