back to article 'Now is the winter of our disk contents'... Decision on Lauri Love's seized gear due next week

Lauri Love will find out whether he is getting his computers back from the National Crime Agency on 19 February, a judge ruled today. As reported earlier, Love wants the return of two laptops, two desktop tower PCs, an SD card, an external hard drive and one of the laptops' hard drives, which were seized from his family home …

1. myhandler
    Thumb Up

We have to wonder, is El Reg headline writer heading for greater things?

(Full of wise saws and modern instances ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Didn't read the article

Just came here to comment on the excellent headline.

2. MrBanana

Now is the winter...

At this time of year, our local purveyor of timber garden products usually announces - "Now is the winter of our discount sheds".

1. VikiAi
      Go

Re: Now is the winter...

There is also the long-circulating-on-the-internet camping-supplies advert, too.

2. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: Now is the winter...

And the marquee used for musical entertainment, which had recently been fenestrated ...now is the window of our disco tent

3. sitta_europea Silver badge

First time I've actually enjoyed a Register headline.

4. ashdav
    Thumb Up

El Reg Headlines

Isn't this one of the reasons why we come here?

The headlines are worthy of Pulitzer prizes sometimes.

Keep on keeping on guys.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. 's water music

Re: El Reg Headlines

My theory is it's all the work of some poor dude chained up in a dark basement... kept aloft with coke and beer while simultaneously weighed down by deadlines.

You are confusing it with coding

1. Aladdin Sane

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams

1. SonofRojBlake

I've always been baffled why people like and repeat that quotation. Don't get me wrong, I am and always have been a fan of DNA's work, but that quote is the absolute worst. It's a rich, privately-educated Cambridge graduate gloating about the fact that things like delivering the work you promised something like on time is a concern of the little people. It's hateful privilege of the sort you'd expect from someone like Boris Johnson.

1. Aladdin Sane

I disagree. It's somebody's who's crap with deadlines being funny about being crap with deadlines.

2. find users who cut cat tail

I've yet to see a deadline which is about ‘delivering the work you promised’. They are arbitrary dates set by someone for you -- and then changed several times.

5. eldakka
    Coat

The National Crime Agency was represented by barrister Andrew Bird.

I suspect one of the reasons for Lauri Love's case was to give the plod the bird.

But looks like the plod have decided to step in first and give Lauri the Bird.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

What the plod would really like is to see Lauri get Bird

6. Winkypop Silver badge

What's the bet...

the plods have lost the gear?

"Ummmm, errr, it decamped in a unknown direction..."

7. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Lonely isolated stoners tinkering with language because they can no longer tinker with technology due to it's absence are a menace to both, themselves, and the world at large.

1. LucreLout
      Facepalm

Lonely isolated stoners tinkering with language because they can no longer tinker with technology due to it's absence are a menace to both, themselves, and the world at large.

It took me a shocking amount of time to realise you weren't talking about the Reg headline wirters.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. gear

Actually it might be just fine.

From previous experience (don't ask!) anything seized always gets bagged and dealt with properly.

In fact sometimes when you do get it back it has been charged up as well.

You can actually get special marked USB cables with VCC + Gnd and no data lines for this purpose.

The resistor trick is normally used to make the phone charge or for more modern ones they use a cheap OTP 6 pin micro

to emulate the special chip used via agreement with the manufacturers to guard against any claims of tampering.

Also newer versions add a monitor IC that gives the host control over power for gas gauging in case the device being recharged

goes bad and to guard against sneaky software (tm) that wipes or locks the device wth a time delay.

1. m0rt

Re: Re. gear

"From previous experience (don't ask!) "

Well I now I need* to know! How come you have experience of this?

*want

9. Gi

He's still assuming the kit is still in the UK...

it was probably sent on ahead years ago, where he would have the been reunited with it under a different law

1. Nolveys
      Holmes

Re: He's still assuming the kit is still in the UK...

His stuff is parked next to the ark of the covenant, awaiting the attention of top men.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon