back to article FCC accused of colluding with Big Cable to game 5G legal challenge

US telecoms regulator the FCC has been accused of colluding with companies it is supposed to oversee in order to protect a controversial decision over new 5G networks. Chair of the House Commerce chair, Frank Pallone, has sent a letter to FCC chair Ajit Pai asking for copies of communications between the FCC and the big telcos …

1. BillG
    Mushroom

I'm Shocked, Shocked!

US telecoms regulator the FCC has been accused of colluding with companies it is supposed to oversee

In other news, snow is cold and grass is green.

Take a look at Lyndon Johnson. In 1943 then-Representative Johnson was so very close with FCC Commissioner Clifford Durr, that when Lady Bird wanted to buy radio station KTBC it was oh SO quickly approved in months instead of five years, despite all the legal irregularities.

Through the years the FCC has always been one of the most politicized organizations in the Federal government. Fairness has never existed there.

1. stpete

Re: I'm Shocked, Shocked!

No, it has not always been that way.

LBJ pulled his strings for ladybird 75 years ago, but there have been many excellent FCC administrators and commissions, just as there have also been many, many other excellent, conscientious and effective members of congress and governmental bodies.

Stop minimizing the absolute evil and corruption of the Trump administration.

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

A bit late

The rest of us were absolutely certain this was going on right from the start.

3. ma1010
    Mushroom

I hope they nail Pai and his cohorts

I'd absolutely love to see Pai wind up in prison! Once we're finally rid of him, instead of copping the highly-paid sinecure he's expecting from Verizon or Charter, perhaps he'll wind up making license plates during the day and being some gang-banger's bumboy at night. That would be just fine by me.

The FCC, and not too long ago, used to actually have some concern about the people of this country, whom they're supposed to protect. It's become a standing joke since Pai got put in charge and is doing nothing but helping big telco screw the average American. One of the WORST presidential appointments ever.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: I hope they nail Pai and his cohorts

> I'd absolutely love to see Pai wind up in prison!

Except he will most likely just end up in a cushy job at Big Cable. No need to worry about him, he'll do all right (as most opportunists do).

2. Dimmer Bronze badge

There is always a bit of boot licking when it comes to the regulatory branch of our government. If it is my property the cell site goes on, i get paid. If it is the city's property, the tax payers. If it is my property and they have to pay the city, it is a tax. It will all be passed on to the consumer.

In the states it is illegal for robo calls. We need a class action lawsuit against the telcos for criminally adding and abetting. They know exactly where the call is coming from. Always have. How do you think they know who to bill? Pass us the full caller I'd info to us and it will stop. We will go BOFH on them.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ma1010,

"One of the WORST presidential appointments ever."

With the current POTUS *every* presidential appointment vies to be the *WORST*.

The real news will be the presidential appointment that is not in this exalted group !!!

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

"With the current POTUS *every* presidential appointment vies to be the *WORST*."

I disagree. Although the VP isn't exactly a presidential appointment, it was his choice and I do admire his insurance policy against impeachment and even assassination, truly nobody wants Pence as POTUS, even Trump is less bad.

4. K

The problem you have in the good bad old US of A, is who regulates the regulators... instead of Yin and Yang balance, you have Pai and Trump!

1. EnviableOne

To Be fair, BTs relationship with OFCOM is justabout as bad

2. EJ

Under normal circumstances, this wouldn't be an issue. However, when Penguin was elected president and he's hired the Joker, Riddler, et al to fill out his administration, Batman is up against it.

4. Josh 14

I'd love to see anything come of this, but highly suspect that the FCC will ignore this investigation, much like they've been doing with just about anything else that could shed light on their doings in recent years.

5. Queeg

It looks like somebodies finally got around to burning the Pai.

Who brought popcorn?

6. Mephistro
    Mushroom

A question for legally inclined fellow commentards:

Wouldn't it be really nice if Pai and his bosses (the telcos, of course) could be prosecuted under the RICO act? What they have been doing since Pai's appointment sounds much like a huge criminal cartel, and I'd bet that most Americans would love to see Pai and the Big Telcos hung to dry.

Is it even possible?

7. steviebuk Silver badge

Let's hope...

...it is a whistleblower and shows Pai to be the bent fuck he seems to be. I said seems for legal reasons ;o) to see him do jail time would be a joy but instead he'll been given a golden handshake to fuck off.

8. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Verdict is in

California's Ninth Circuit has pronounced the verdict in this case.

Lawyer to Pai: "Justice has been done".

Pai to lawyer: "Appeal immediately".

9. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Corruption in public office...

...should be considered treason, and punished as such.

10. Rich 2 Silver badge

Amazing

This is so corrupt it's funny. You could use it as the basis of a black comedy.

11. Neoc

"The letter gives the FCC three weeks to hand over any relevant communications between FCC staff and the telcos through both official and personal channels"

Yes, because the people accused of gaming the system are likely to hand over incriminating documents (assuming, of course, that they are guilty). Let's be honest; in cases of possible wide-spread corruption/collusion the only proper method of gathering evidence is a warrant and a surprise visit by the authorities to apply said warrant immediately.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like