back to article Does it feel good when I twist your circuits?

Stretch Armstong: bendy, stretchy and twistable. Not particularly useful. Electronics: Useful. Not so much with twisty business. If only researchers could figure out a way to... OH HEY! Scientists Yonggang Huang of Northwestern University and John Rogers of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have developed a way …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Brian
    Coat

Ha!

Twisted circuit smoke- don't breathe that!

2. Chris C

Co chain-link, then?

So basically, they created a circuit using really tiny chain-link. While it's certainly interesting in the context of bendy computers, it's not exactly a new idea. Chain-mail armor has been around for how many hundreds of years? We've known for a very long time that if we want metal to bend, we need to form it using links. Look at wristwatches if you want another example. What interests (and always amazes) me is that they can make it so damn small.

3. sauerkraut

uhm...

you ask: will it blend?

i say: watch it shred!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Harder

mmmmm

5. david

holy crap, that's just slick.

those clever fellows...

6. Andy Worth

Bendy?

"an optical image of an electronic device in a complex deformation mode."

What....you mean that picture of a circuit board being bendy?

That sentence alone reminds me of "Mr Logic" from the days I used to read Viz.

7. Peter D'Hoye
    Thumb Down

Fine. Now we just need components that can do the same

Good for traces, not for placing components....

8. Iain
    Flame

Stretch PCs

Having recently twatishly broken expensive bits of my PC, I would find this innovation incredibly useful in ordinary computing components, especialy those bits which inveterate hamfisted hardware fiddlers (yours truly) may have cause to manipulate, often percussively.

Also, a laptop made completly of this stuff would be far more genuinely "'ard" than recent efforts at so called 'drop-resistant' (not 'proof' but 'resistant', huh?).

<---Is it fireproof?

9. Tim
    Happy

Does this mean...

...that we will soon have 'warp' drives that can store terabytes of data?

Will my PDA become my 'flexible' friend?

Can I have wraparound glasses with an integrated, bluetooth enabled, oled, display?

10. RaelianWingnut

Cheezburgr!

Pictures, diagrams, plz!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Yes, but will it blend?

Awesome :)

12. Geoff Mackenzie

an optical image of an electronic device in a complex deformation mode

Well, that was an octet stream that indirectly precipitated an audible, amusement-related respiratory response.

13. Dave
    Flame

<untitled>

"an optical image"

as opposed to what? A tactile image?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@<untitled>

> "an optical image"

> as opposed to what?

A non-optical image, of course!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bended?

I hope you sended a message about this bended circuit...

16. Muscleguy
    Joke

DNA

'Can I have wraparound glasses with an integrated, bluetooth enabled, oled, display?'

Only if they are also Peril sensitive.

17. J. Cook Silver badge
    Boffin

re: Chris C (chain link)

Can't use chain link- it will not keep a continuous connection (for reasons that are obvious)...

All I can hope for is that the end points are easier to deal with then the ribbon cable interconnects, which are infamous for their fragility and flexibility.

This would be a neat thing to see made into production- I can think of a large number of applications this would work in (and not just the medical field, either)

18. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@david - those clever fellows

Yes, you're right. I'm surprised they weren't classifed as boffins.

19. Martin Lyne

@Dave

Infrared, X-rag, gamma ray, terahertz, the rest of the non-visible-light spectrum images

;D

This topic is closed for new posts.