back to article The outfit where the NHS England Digital boss is headed? Turns out their code is 'not technically suitable' for the £6.4m NHS App

A Discovery Report from NHS Digital has given video GP provider LIVI a kick in the integrations. The report*, seen by The Register, paints a picture that will not be to the liking of outgoing NHS England executive, Juliet Bauer, who confirmed she would be leaving the UK's health service for the app-happy outfit earlier this …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like they've already choosen LIVI

"According to our source, LIVI was the frontrunner out of the seven that actually engaged one-to-one and NHS Digital spent three months working out how it could integrate the company's wares (as well as those of its competitors) into its digital platform."

Nothing a few rounds of golf with senior NHS decision makers can't fix I would wager... Although it looks like it may now be in the Caribbean rather than at the local course. You know...To work through some of the issues... At the bar... After a very generous meal or seven... For NHS decision makers and their partners...

1. 0laf
      Facepalm

Re: Sounds like they've already choosen LIVI

That sounds par for the the course for most of these procurements.

It'll go in anyway, won't work, no one will use it, money will get written off and world will keep turning.

2. Warm Braw

The current crop of GP-friendly apps have little access to NHS patient records

Good. I hope that remains the case- mobile phones and sensitive personal data don't mix.

3. Omgwtfbbqtime

" Without it, the current crop of GP-friendly apps have little access to NHS patient records."

Sounds secure to me.

Trebles all round!

4. Dr Who

Gibberish

Phew am I glad we've got APIs these days so we don't have to resort to the bad old ways of app-to-app integration. And as for deferred deep links, well who'd want to use those anymore!

5. adam payne

According to our source, LIVI was the frontrunner out of the seven that actually engaged one-to-one and NHS Digital spent three months working out how it could integrate the company's wares (as well as those of its competitors) into its digital platform.

I'm sure Juliet Bauer had nothing to do with LIVI being the frontrunner.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Based on the limited information I have, Juliet Bauer seems to be a woman of negotiable virtue.

Just because she is the NHS England chief digital officer doesn't mean she actually knows anything useful. That title sounds like a PHB to me.

6. Dazzz

Medical Apps

I have an app on my phone called Patient access which supposedly allows 4 different ways of interacting with your GP, but only if those options are turned on by the practice. Currently booking an appointment is all thats available on mine.

Signup and a recent change to the process of handling users both meant a very clumsy process to be navigated to get working access as well

7. steelpillow Silver badge
    Coat

Judged unsuitable

She must be feeling absolutely livi'ed.

8. Scott Broukell

I was asked to take a login to the doctors surgery the other day, tests you know, just saying.

9. Rudolph Hucker the Third
    Joke

Is that a Hancock App in your pocket, or are you just pleased to get an appointment?

10. TRT Silver badge

Hm...

I am (n)H(s)APPY. I know I am, I'm sure I am.

11. WibbleMe

Ask 10 engineers the best say to make an app and you will get 10 different answers, the right questions such as is it secure, piratical and fireproof are the ones that should be asked. I bet the expert recommended the code that his company uses.

Personal, and I know some people will say no but I would go with AngularCLI and an NoSQL Database like Firebase, because its low cost, can be developed quickly and will work on all platforms such as Apps and PWS.

1. Michael

I'd recommend

Ember and PostgreSQL because its low cost, can be developed quickly and will work on all platforms such as Apps and PWS.

2. Tom Chiverton 1

No Vue love? Even now its got Ionic back on board?

3. phuzz Silver badge

But if part of the spec for the program is that it must inter-operate with other systems, then some kind of API is a must have...

12. henryd

Why is the UK still in the dark ages?

Here in Israel we discovered this new thing called the Internet years ago.

Booking appointments through a mobile or desktop app is a matter of routine and has been for years. I can order prescriptions and view lab results and generally save bothering my GP.

The app will even serve me up graphs of lab data over the years of results it has in store.

Instead of dropping another few billions on yet another failed IT projects just get in touch with one of our providers. They’ll be happy to help.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Why is the UK still in the dark ages?

Putting aside the fact that Israel is a smaller country, it seems it's beyond the wit of the civil service to specify a standard and force hospitals, trusts, chemists, and GP surgeries to use it.

The civil service just don't like to get technical, which works fine until we live in an age where there's technology everywhere.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like