back to article Cortana and Search to innovate separately in an amicable Windows 10 Insider split

Hot on the heels of a patch for the version of Windows 10 that Microsoft hopes will undo the woes of 2018 comes a fresh insider build to break stuff just a few days before the company's bug bash. Build 18317 brings with it more hints as to the eventual fate of Microsoft's unloved assistant, Cortana. Avoiding the "C" word has …

1. cambsukguy

Linux is so reliable...

...it even works when 'broken'.

1. Bitcrazed

Re: Linux is so reliable...

Ironically, there actually isn't any Linux in Windows' Subsystem for Linux! :)

2. steviebuk Silver badge

Sysinternals

I hope the Sysinternals tools keep being developed. At the last Ignite Mark Russinovich didn't do his usual Case of the Unexplained :( then he did an interview saying he's so busy now, he's hired someone in to maintain them for him. With Start breaking off from Explorer I wonder if this will be reflected and seen by Process Explorer?

Would be a VERY VERY VERY VERY sad day when they are no longer usable :(

1. FIA Silver badge

Re: Sysinternals

ProcessHacker is an okay Process Explorer substitute.

Agreed though, the sysinternals utilities are a godsend.

2. #define INFINITY -1

One would hope if it comes to that that he'd open-source it.

3. Bitcrazed

Ping Andrew Richards (@ARichard on Twitter) if you have questions.

3. Anonymous Custard
    Alien

Mirror, mirror?

It's a rare and happy day when we take something emitted by Microsoft that we're told is busted and find it works a treat.

You kinda get the feeling someone in Microsoft has got their parity bit flipped, or at least has a reversed understanding of what "working" means compared to the rest of us.

Either that or this really is an alternative reality mirror universe? If so do we have to grow a hipster goatie like Mr Spock?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Avoiding the "C" word

Cortana, can you spell this c-word for me...

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

Re: Avoiding the "C" word

I'm Siri, Dave. I afraid I can't do that.

1. jonathan keith

Re: Avoiding the "C" word

*Applause*

Well played, sir.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

They're not removing Cortana, just putting it into a separate task tray widget.

So it means there's an extra thing to right-click + disable.

6. JohnFen

Great news!

Maybe now they can make Windows search actually work.

7. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Windows

Next

taking cortina out the back of the remond campus, shooting it in the head and burying under the rubble of the buildings they're gonna replace

Then pretend "Cortina... naww mate never heard of her"

we could only wish......

8. Thagomizer

All your data are belong to us

The problem wasn’t so much Cortana coupling with Search, the problem was that both required you to first identify yourself and then send all your searches and comments to heaven knows where for unknown purposes by unidentifiable people.

Allowing both to work locally, without a local account, would have been fine.

1. JohnFen

Re: All your data are belong to us

That was also a problem -- but combining Cortana with search was also certainly a problem.

9. darlingimp
    Happy

What about Bob?

I'd like to see them introduce Cortana to Bob and see what happens.

1. Hans 1
      Joke

Re: What about Bob?

Cortana, Alexa, and Bob, time for a threesome ?

10. Edward Leithen

Technically, it would both work and not work at the same time, and you would force it into one state by trying.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like