back to article World's first robot hotel massacres half of its robot staff

The world’s first hotel “staffed by robots” has culled half of its steely eyed employees, because they’re rubbish and annoy the guests. “Our hotel's advanced technologies, introduced with the aim of maximizing efficiency, also add to the fun and comfort of your stay,” the Henn na Hotel boasted on its website. It’s where …

1. Dwarf
    Facepalm

Who could have seen any of that coming

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Terminator

The former manager of Nissan Sunderland possibly could have clued them up about the luggage units.... (Cues up the wibbly wobbly timey-wimey flashback)......

Nissan factory in Newcastle area...

Automated mail truck with flashing light, beeping as it moves (Helen Keller would have been aware of it's approach) & overly sensitive sensors that stop 100 meters away from a insect in its path then wait before resuming moving. Stop at each location to allow mail to be loaded\unloaded.

With the sensors being frequently tripped it, mail delivery was quicker by hand so someone disabled them & mail delivery got to the expected performance.

Executives from Nissan turned up with local dignitaries, MP's & the like & given a factory tour.

Partway through the tour, along comes the mail truck & to prove how safe it is, local manager sticks out his foot to prove how it's H&S compliant & half a ton of metal, motors, mail & batteries proceeded to run straight over it while it suffered no damage at all, which was more than be said for the managers foot.

Icon - "I'll be sacked!"

1. Nunyabiznes
        Joke

Pfft. He wasn't a good manager anyway. If he was it would have been an underling's head in front of the wheel.

1. Oengus
          Joke

If the BOFH had been there it would have been the PHB that ended up under the mail robot.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

If the BOHF had been there, it would have been armed with a flame thrower and enhanced cattle prod.

2. phuzz Silver badge
            Joke

If the BOFH had been there it'd have gone for the MP first...

1. Captain Scarlet

If the BOFH and PFY had been there, they would have gone to the pub, remotely locked all the "smart" doors, initated an algorithm (Sorry AI) that made all the machines treat squishy humans as something to manufacture and leave one window open for them to drop out of.

3. Flakk
            Joke

If the BOFH had been there, the robot would have been repurposed to perform pickups from the local pub so that he and the PFY could enjoy a soothing mid-afternoon pint without that whole mucking about with walking to the pub.

Employees complaining about the new company policy replacing intra-office deliveries with email would find area rugs and sacks of quicklime delivered to their offices as an apology.

2. caffeine addict

Wasn't it Nissan where the little fella followed a metal strip on the floor.

RoboPostie pissed someone off, so he laid a new track in speedtape that led the bleeping bot out into the carpark...?

I really hope that story isn't apocryphal.

2. Mark 85

Perhaps making technology more durable and reliable may eventually take priority over making it “smart”.

This would depend on who's actually running product development and design. If it's engineering then yes, reliability will come to the fore. If it's marketing than whatever is the latest buzz phrase will push the design. I saw this years ago with a simple voltage regulator development. Marketing decided instead of having several adjustment potentiometers for adjustment, they wanted a "wonderful" control. One dial that could only be turned one way to increase the "wonderful". Many of us in engineering never did sort out if they were serious or just having fun.

1. Jim Mitchell
      Alert

They must have been joking. The user should not be able to increase the Wonderful output without paying an additional fee!

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Not to mention that technology today is anything but smart. If it is reliable, it's because there is decades of experience behind it. But as soon as it is connected to the mother ship it becomes dumb as a rock, subservient to the whims of its maker, and should be discarded.

1. Alistair
        Windows

' Not to mention that technology today is anything but smart. If it is reliable, it's because there is decades of experience behind it. But as soon as it is connected to the mother ship it becomes dumb as a rock, subservient to the whims of its maker, and should be discarded beaten to a pulp, burned to the ground, shot from a cannon and encased in concrete and dropped into the deepest part of the Marianas Trench. "

FTFY Pascal.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

But as soon as it is connected to the mother ship it becomes dumb as a rock, subservient to the whims of its maker

Why does "Dark Star" spring to mind?

(I saw that many, many years ago, well after reading the source story. The film is best appreciated after brain-melting amounts of scrumpy and while puffing on whacky-baccy fags. Allegedly)

3. KittenHuffer Silver badge

Someone in Marketing reading Our stuff!

They'd obviously heard the (semi-)famous story about 'magic' and 'more magic'!

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/magic-story.html

3. John Miles
    Joke

So that is why it starts

The robots weren't rebelling against Humans, just upset they'd been fired ;)

Should we fear them though - SMBC rise of the machines

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Terminator

Re: So that is why it starts

Do beta versions get fired? Or just put out to pasture, or the previous versions page?

First generation hotelbots! Fabulous baby! Hopefully, they will become better, stronger and faster hotelbots in the future. Can I show you to your room Ms. Conner?

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Relevant XKCD: https://what-if.xkcd.com/5/

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Relevant commentary by Trevor Noah.

Why do we expect the rising robots would be coming after us and not each other?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This may be the first time I've seen the word "relevant" attributed in any way to Trevor Noah.

2. macjules

Simple way to avoid them coming after you then: pour some water on the floor of your hotel corridor.

4. Dr_N
    Terminator

I've stayed at one of the Tokyo ones.

It was the least roboty of their 2 hotels in Tokyo. The checkin-bots were a bit scary looking but otherwise a nice enough business hotel.

The "Handy" free 4G phone in each room is useful. As is the LG Steamer Closet. [chortle]

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: I've stayed at one of the Tokyo ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ONhC6PnpI I see two human-styled robots, plus one raptor.

Who wouldn't want to be checked in by a raptor?

5. Sleep deprived
    WTF?

The room doll was removed

They went back to the dumb inflatable rubber model?

1. veti Silver badge

Re: The room doll was removed

Came looking for this thought. Somewhat surprised it took so long to appear. Have people taken a new year resolution to keep the comments clean, or something? Seems unlikely.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Um, where was the "room doll" housed? In the closet? Did it pop up out of a cabinet or descend from the ceiling on wires? Or... was it walking around freely...? Aren't all these possibilities very disturbing?

I suppose it was probably just molded into the wall somehow. With eyes that followed you everywhere...

3. Long John Brass
      Terminator

The inflatable ones are strictly bargain basement models these days. Good quality one are made out of TPE. And the really good ones Silicon.

1. The Nazz

Never doubt the authoritative voice of experience.

2. Phil Endecott

> the really good ones Silicon.

No, silicone. With an E on the end. Totally different stuff. You really wouln’t want to get frisky with a lump of silicon.

1. Long John Brass
          Happy

> No, silicone. With an E on the end. Totally different stuff. You really wouln’t want to get frisky with a lump of silicon.

Is that where I've been going wrong. Explains a few things :)

2. Glenturret Single Malt

That is actually the first time in the many years of my chemical life that I have seen that spelling mistake that way round. Does this mean that computers and their inside bits are now more commonly encountered than furniture polish?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. TrumpSlurp the Troll
          Trollface

Not getting frisky with silicon?

As a Troll I resent that.

1. Tom 35

Go pound sand?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Your plastic pal who is "fun" to be with?

1. Down not across

Your plastic pal who is "fun" to be with?

A Cherry 2000 gynoid?

4. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Don't forget the deluxe model (that's the one with the real hair).

(It's a NTNOCN reference, for you young'uns)

1. tiggity Silver badge

and it responds nicely to American Express

(resist the urge to speculate on providing a cyber version of NTNOCN Gerald scenarios)

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I love the fact that the doll had the "Furby problem". Waking up at 3am because the children have made a small noise in their sleep and then scream the house down.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

"She's loving, warm, inflatable and a guarantee of joy"

Or the lyrics of the ELO song "Yours Truely, 2095":

She is the latest in technology

Almost mythology

But she has a heart of stone

She has an i.q. of 1001

She has a jumpsuit on

And she's also a telephone

6. Mike 16

Maybe they should have

put the bid out more widely than just going with Sirius Cybernetics, even if the owner's brother did own a bunch of SC stock.

Re: Maybe they should have

I wonder how good their happy vertical people transporters lifts are?

7. Jay Lenovo

Representative Please

"Hospitality" and "robot" are as rewarding, as "customer service call" and "voice automated prompts".

Pleasing people effectively was never quite that simple. Otherwise we'd buy our own robots and stay home.

8. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Pint

LESTER

“When you actually use robots you realize there are places where they aren’t needed - or just annoy people”

Is LESTER the Beer Butler still operational or has it been replaced by a PFY/intern at Vulture HQ?

1. Fungus Bob

Re: LESTER

When I were a lad, we used to beat the interns with a stick until they enjoyed it.

Then we'd stop...

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: LESTER

Then we'd stop...

Says the masochist: "Hit me!"

Says the sadist: "No"

9. JohnFen

Well, yes

"over at Indiegogo, the “world’s first phone with human like intelligence” appears to be falling a little short of its $2m target."

That's probably more because this campaign is obviously nonsense rather than an indication of whether or not people want such a thing.

1. Cuddles

Re: Well, yes

"That's probably more because this campaign is obviously nonsense"

Since when has that ever stopped a crowdfunding effort from being successful?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did the AI kick in asking for a decent wage?

1. TRT Silver badge

You pay nuts, you get robots.

1. Korev Silver badge
        Joke

They don't have many bargaining chips to be fair...

11. Magani
    FAIL

A man ahead of his time

Were the robots supplied by the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation with the new Genuine People Personality feature?

"Glad to be of service."

Vale, Douglas.

12. Denarius
    Thumb Up

at last

Applying something useful that fixes a defined problem instead of market droid madness

13. the Jim bloke

AI/Smart/Robotic "solutions"

is that they’re installed to solve a management problem rather than a customer need

too often these days, it's management that IS the problem.

14. mad_dr

Am I the only one thinking of

"Hotel Bot" from Bad Robot on E4? Hilarious!

15. Andy Law

Artificial Intelligence is solved....

Dilbert fixed it...

https://dilbert.com/strip/2019-01-07 through to https://dilbert.com/strip/2019-01-12

16. James Loughner
    Mushroom

A national Emergancy

We must build a wall around all robot factories at once. I will hold my breath until congress agrees.

17. Soma
    Alert

Please select the number of people who will use the bed.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Please select the number of people who will use the bed."

Is there a single occupancy surcharge?

18. DrXym

Next week on "Some things are bleeding obvious"

"We ask if self driving cars are the wave of the future. Also whether kazoo marching bands are an effective way of being lulled to sleep"

Re: Next week on "Some things are bleeding obvious"

Well kazoo bands are easier to get sleep to than bagpipe bands...

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

multilingual female robots

I am TERRIBLY offended by this BLANTANT genderism, where can I complain?!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: multilingual female robots

When female robots are in the minority, it's called a crisis.

When female robots are in the majority, it's called progress.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the room doll

do you have to be over 18 for this service?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the room doll

You could probably do one for those guests who are under 6months as well.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
  21. DropBear

So, is "acute labour shortage" the modern euphemism for "anyone attempting to spend their time doing this job would literally starve with the wage I'm willing to pay"...?

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

close - "any human willing to work for that wake is likely to steal from the hotel or guests to supplement their income"

22. Handel was a crank

Hmmm

I'm still pondering the words in the article about them "going outside to annex buildings". Robot Reich?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm

Perhaps a case of two nations separated by a common language (but with different ways of spelling the same word).

But seriously, hahahahahahhaha.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just like the F-35...

"They can travel only on flat surfaces and could malfunction if they get wet..."

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Back to basics?

It would be nice if TFA told us, anywhere easy to find, what the name of the hotel is and where it is.

Unless I missed something, the first tenuous hint comes in the ninth paragraph where we are tantalised by the fact that the hotel manager's name sounds Japanese. Of course the hotel might still be in Mozambique or Ireland, but it's the way to bet.

And of course the Japanese are known to be world leaders in lunatic automation schemes.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge

Re: Back to basics?

What, like in the second paragraph where is says "the Henn na Hotel boasted on its website" (complete with a link)??

25. fastmack
    Go

all the brains in the world cannot sort this out yet shakes head theres so much my sony phone can do so smart and windows 10 is so stupid my xp professional is better at it please go back to xp and save ur self now raymond petrie aberdeen scotland ps thanks register staff and maplins are back yess

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Union

"The world’s first hotel “staffed by robots” has culled half of its steely eyed employees"

This clearly needs a robot union to cover robot rights in the workplace.

27. jbrickley

From the pre-Internet Hitchhikers Guide To The Universe:

The Sirius Cybernetics Corporation is the primary manufacturer and supplier of androids, robots and autonomic assistants for the known universe. They are known for their catchy jingles and catchphrases, supplied by their Marketing Department.

They are not, however, known for the quality of their products.

Their primary claim to fame seems to be constructing just about everything with (unstable) advanced robotics and software. From doors to lifts, to toaster ovens, drinks machines, vacuum cleaners, and "personal massage units" -- Everything has been built with a full GPP or Genuine People Personality. This means that even a set of airlock doors has emotions, hopes, dreams, intelligence, and worse of all, the capacity for boredom. It should come as no surprise then, that the majority of these devices have a neurotic streak a mile wide.

The company motto is "Share and Enjoy." This is widely adaptable, from synthesized drinks to the company of a robot, or 'Your plastic pal who's fun to be with' as it is described by the aforementioned Marketing Department. It should be noted that many who do not Enjoy, then go on to fail to Share, unless this includes sharing strongly-worded opinions toward their complaints department.

The Hitchhiker's Travel Guide describes the Marketing Department of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation as:

"A bunch of mindless jerks who'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes."

Curiously, an edition of the Encyclopedia Galactica which conveniently fell through a rift in the time-space continuum from 1000 years in the future describes the Marketing Department of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation as:

"A bunch of mindless jerks who were the first against the wall when the revolution came."

Only their complaints department survived the general economic implosion of the company as a whole.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sooooo

This "A voice-activated robot doll is on hand at night"

Anyone know if it's available...?

29. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Snoring?

"that the robo-doll interpreted snoring as a request it couldn’t understand,"

Ah, they forgot to train the female room robots to understand lewd requests while drunk.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like