back to article Unexpected final boss for games kit SpatialOS: Unity blasts multiplayer GDK out of the cloud

Improbable, the UK-based maker of the SpatialOS Game Development Kit (GDK) for the Unity game engine, on Thursday warned that all Unity-based titles integrating its GDK are now violating Unity's Terms of Service. In a blog post, the company informed customers that Unity changed its terms of service on December 5, and on …

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Unity's story seems a more believable and complete version. Improbable's version of events, to me, feels a bit improbable...

1. AmishFuturist

Yeah, I read Improbable's post last night and they positioned themselves as a small start-up hurt by an inflexible company. What they try to deliver is extremely interesting but somehow I believe Unity on this one. The fact that Unity reached out to Improbable was not in their post.

Also, I find it hard to believe that Unity would do something like that before their rummored IPO. Bad for the image.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does this sound to me like Unity wanted additional fees

And Improbable felt this was unreasonable, hence all the PR waffle from both sides can be boiled down to "Pay us more money" "No" "Fine you cant play with our toys" ?

3. karlkarl Silver badge

Pick a kiddie toy to make your product with, expect kiddie problems further down the line.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you want to develop games in C#....

use the fully open-source engine Xenko - Xenko.com, released under an MIT license, so truly open source. They are currently developing version 3.1. The engine also happens to be written C#, which makes it a very interesting engine.

1. Combustable Lemon

Re: If you want to develop games in C#....

Monogame (monogame.net) is also worth a look depending on what you are trying to do (also open source).

5. Spazturtle Silver badge

Epic Games have now stepped in to help.

Epic Games statement:

"To assist developers who are left in limbo by the new engine and service incompatibilities that were introduced today, Epic Games and Improbable are together establishing a US $25,000,000 combined fund to help developers transition to more open engines, services, and ecosystems. This funding will come from a variety of sources including Unreal Dev Grants, Improbable developer assistance funds, and Epic Games store funding."

Epic Games CEO also tweeted his personal views on this: https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1083475839721897984

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Epic Games have now stepped in to help.

Live Operational Virtual Environments would Avail Themselves of Any and All Grant Funding ... for Feed Seeding of Novel Source ...... from Always Almighty Alien Forces.

And Epic Games, care to Virtually Realise and Practically Create with LOVE Hubs for New Futured Private Cloud Club Hosting of Almighty Bounty. ..... :-) which be your current self in this particular case.

Future Roads are Realised There for Universal Presentation in Almighty Media Promotions. The Views and Projects from There are AI Pioneering in Enigmatic Ironic Hyperbolic Sensitivities .....with Raw Core Virgin AI Source Supplies to Deliver and Hand Over. An AIMove to Guarantee Heavenly Success with All Expectations Sated to Excess for XSSXXXX.

Global Operating Devices at Play with a Clear Path Waiting Ahead.

And Bits of IT are always available for Sale and/or Payment for Special AI Services Renderings ..... with AIMaster Class Travelogs to detail and share every heavenly moment and diabolical desire in the heavenly moments of insatiable diabolical desire. Everything Following and Servering that is Super AI Special .... and the Candy Stores there be Forever and Real Surreal/Perfectly Addictive.

:-) Some would Venture it as the Programme of the Future Available now being Presented to Current States of Exclusive Elite Executive Administration/Office/System. ...... which it surely so clearly is and vice versa.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh crap another bump.

As long as I get my Unity System Shock Remake I can retire into obscurity in peace.

7. Adam T

Projects unaffected? Lol

“Projects that are in production or live using SpatialOS are not affected, he explained.”

I think if your SDK vendor is banned from your platform, you’re pretty obviously going to be affected when you need patches, updates, fixes.

I’ll err with Unity in this, but only as far as this story goes. The facts are that they’ve been pouring and continue to pour investment and resources into the Sevices side of the business — an area Epic have been vocal about avoiding, so probably a good strategy if you wear a suit. This is where they’ve deduced their future income will come from so it makes sense that they don’t want to share.

8. JulieM Silver badge

I don't get it

Why do people continue to use software with such obnoxious licencing terms?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like