back to article Amazon takes aim at MongoDB with launch of Mongo-compatible DocumentDB

Amazon has sent a shot across the bow of MongoDB today as it announced a document database with Mongo compatibility. The launch of AWS DocumentDB – a fully managed document database service – comes just months after MongoDB announced a new licence aimed at stopping cloud giants ripping off its database. DocumentDB – curiously …

1. Korev Silver badge
    Coat

But is it...

...Webscale

1. nichomach

Re: But is it...

Beat me to it...

2. Ragarath

Re: But is it...

I don't know how I've managed to avoid that video. Thank you for enlightening my, though my monitor and KB did not appreciate the tea.

2. Tomato42
    Meh

Ohh

It's the Embrace step, I wonder when they will take the next two...

1. James Anderson

Re: Ohh

Really only sensible -- Cloud computing especially things like Elastic Compute does not and cannot work with licensed software.

How could you fire up another server to support an unexpected load if you had to acquire a bunch of licenses first?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So a US tax-dodging megacorp can patent 'rounded corners'...

...but tax-dodging mega-corps can rip off free software built by others and thats absolutely OK

It's a bullshit fucked up game that only billionaire bastards can win.

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: So a US tax-dodging megacorp can patent 'rounded corners'...

Bad analogy. Only sounds good to you because you know zero about the various flavors of patents, and their various limitations.

Bottom line is magacorp is releasing a database product that offers, as a side feature, backwards compatability (via an API) with the old version of another database. BFD

2. ckm5

Re: So a US tax-dodging megacorp can patent 'rounded corners'...

Please explain how using a piece of open source software in accordance to it's license is 'ripping off free software built by others' - which, as a sentence, seems to be contradictory - how can you rip off something that is free?

Failure to find a viable business model is not the fault of the users....

And, before you lecture me about licenses, I've actually co-authored 2 OSI approved licenses, so.....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mongo is a terrible company with a terrible product. Good riddance.

5. Kevin Johnston

If the database is sharded then I would not be surprised if it became a PITA. If it was SHARED now, that is a very different thing indeed

6. ckm5

If it's open source, no one is ripping it off...

Love how El Reg's shill bought into MongoDBs PR blitz about people using their open source software were somehow 'ripping them off' by following the licensing terms....

MongoDB's failure to figure out a viable business model is not the fault of users. It is not the responsibility of users of open source to fund venture backed startups.

If they wanted to monetize their software, they should have released it under a commercial license, but then they would have had to pay for market acquisition instead of getting it for free from the open source community.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like