back to article Killer superbugs in space... are something astronauts on orbiting science lab don't have to worry about right now

Space isn’t, for now, turning bacteria on the International Space Station into nasty superbugs hellbent on infecting astronauts, according to a study published on Tuesday. “There has been a lot of speculation about radiation, microgravity and the lack of ventilation and how that might affect living organisms, including …

1. redpawn

E = 1/2mv^2

makes small things quite dangerous and probably causes more worry for astronauts, though traveling to and from a well populated space colony might be problematic in the Musk era.

2. David 132 Silver badge
    Coat

“Let’s learn about another Alien Sex Disease.

This man had se with a Glyconthian Octopoid.

Let’s look at his genitals...”

https://youtu.be/2y_nACag-Oc

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big question is..

"The samples of these bacteria on the ISS did mutate and develop a resistance to antibiotics, though they weren’t particularly more harmful than their cousins on Earth, the study found."

But are they ill-tempered?

4. cray74

Mir

Not a mention of Mir's slime-mold-bacteria problems, or did I skim too fast? Mir had mold growing across its windows until they were unusable and blackening insulation. It was a seriously unhealthy space station in its last years.

1. Flakk
      Joke

Re: Mir

But everything I've learned about slime molds (entirely from roguelikes) is that they're delicious. Why didn't they just chow down?

5. adam 40 Silver badge

Straining my credence

Staph Aureus is not a "strain of MRSA" it's the other way around. MRSA is Methicyllin-Resistant Staph Aureus, i.e. it's a strain of Staph.

1. Scroticus Canis
      Facepalm

Re: Straining my credence

You and me both. I'll supply the icon for you :)

Do you think she does it on purpose?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like