back to article Google-whisperers beat reCaptcha voice challenge with 90% success rate

University of Maryland researchers have given Google a "welcome to 2019" gift by breaking its latest reCaptcha audio challenge. The work is a follow-up to an attack published in April 2017 by the university's Kevin Bock, Daven Patel, George Hughey and Dave Levin, again attacking the audio challenges. Since then, Google has …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

idiots like this

are ruining the web.

Not only now do we have to suffer cookie banners, GDPR messages that you have no choice but to accept, we now have to spend 10 minutes identifying cars, shop fronts and traffic lights.

I remember when the web wasn't shite.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: idiots like this

If they can be defeated so easily, maybe people will stop using them.

2. N2
      Facepalm

10 minutes?

You're lucky, I spent God knows how long identifying an endless stream of fire hydrants, shop fronts, bicycles, cars, buses, 'cross walks' what ever they are.

Anyway I hope it get blown wide open and pasted all over tinterwebs and the sooner it's burried the better

Mean while, they could at least make the dam images interesting.

1. defiler
        Coat

Mean while, they could at least make the dam images interesting.

Select all of the boxes that show images of dams.

1. vonBureck
          Coat

Select all of the boxes that show images of dams

Select all of the boxes that show images of interesting dams - there, FTFY.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Now that would be great research, an AI that can tell how interesting a dam is.

Beaver > Hoover

2. Colin Wilson 2

"Mean while, they could at least make the dam images interesting."

Something like Kitten War? Match the three cutest kittens to proceed. I should patent that!

3. VinceH

"You're lucky, I spent God knows how long identifying an endless stream of fire hydrants, shop fronts, bicycles, cars, buses, 'cross walks' what ever they are."

Yes. It's bad enough when you get one reCaptcha challenge, but when it's followed by another... then another... then another... I get just a touch annoyed by them. IIRC, the record number of challenges I've had to deal with in one go is around eight.

And I'm also now occasionally seeing them simply not work properly in Palemoon, and having to resort to another browser to get shit done. My first guess was a script issue, but even temporarily disabling NoScript and allowing them all to run doesn't solve it. (Ordinarily I'd simply not bother when encountering a problem like that, but sometimes I have no choice.)

4. Bibbit

But responses to interesting images could not be used to train AI for self-driving cars on the cheap...

2. Locky
    Terminator

Deply Deckard

It's 2019 and machines can convince security that they are people

The question is do they know?

3. defiler

Audio Captcha? Bloody hell!

Last time I tried one of these I couldn't figure it out on three separate tries. And they can get a single website to beat it 90% of the time? I must suck!

1. Wyrdness

Re: Audio Captcha? Bloody hell!

If you can get it right first time then you're probably a bot, if you get it wrong, you're most likely human.

Pretty much exactly the opposite of what was originally intended.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reverse approach needed ...

Rather than irritating humans in the quest to eliminate robots, why not irritate robots in a quest to include humans.

There are a few problems which *only* a computer can solve - or rather which only a computer would be able to answer. Use those and successful challengers get directed to /dev/null.

5. Spasticus Autisticus

Slightly OT

When using the wise monkeys it would be great to use all of them - all 4 - https://crissov.github.io/unicode-proposals/fourth-monkey.html - especially when its El Goog that is the subject of the story :-)

TripTank Stump the Goog - https://vimeo.com/96767671 - NSFW

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i have abandoned some vendors

Over captcha crap

7. hellwig

Could stop working at any time....

Assuming Google gives a damn.

Considering the bots Google employs to scour the internet, something tells me a completely fool-proof Captcha isn't their highest priority.

8. emullinsabq
    Trollface

why there is so much crap discussion

Only the trolls care enough to continue when faced with selecting all the foo images. The people with something useful to contribute have slowly learned it's not worth the trouble.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>University of Maryland researchers have given Google a "welcome to 2019" gift

More of a welcome to 2017 gift - although there's plenty of sites still using the 2/3 year old version this attacks - Invisible reCAPTCHA is on version 3 now and sites which care about users should be employing this as it doesn't challenge 90-odd % of users at all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like