back to article Happy Christmas! Bloodhound SSC refuelled by Yorkshire business chap

In news that will bring festive cheer to fans of plucky Brit engineering efforts, the Bloodhound 1,000mph car project has been lobbed a lifeline by Yorkshire-based entrepreneur Ian Warhurst. Warhurst, who sold his Barnsley-based company, Melett, for an undisclosed sum to US outfit Wabtec this time last year, snapped up the …

1. MonkeyBob
    Pint

One of these for the new investor -------------->

1. Wellyboot Silver badge
      Happy

@MonkeyBob

& a Large dram of Scotlands finest!

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: @MonkeyBob

Heroin?

1. Anonymous Custard

Re: @MonkeyBob

Or at least a proper cup of Yorkshire tea...

2. MJB7
      Pint

Re: One of these...

One ?!?

2. LenG

Nominative Determinism

On a small scale ... with a man named Speed writing about 1000mph cars.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nominative Determinism

>On a small scale ... with a man named Speed writing about 1000mph cars.

Equally ironic if he were writing about amphetamines.

3. AIBailey
    Pint

Fantastic news. Whilst the Bloodhound project doesn't necessarily promise to push many boundaries of scientific or engineering research, sometimes you just want to see someone strap a bloody great rocket engine to a rolling chassis and find out what happens.

1. Aladdin Sane
      Pint

When asked "Why did you want to climb Mount Everest?", George Mallory simply replied "Because it's there."

1. Arty Effem

George Mallory simply replied "Because it's there."

"Because Mallory's there."

2. PhilipN Silver badge

Lance Percival sketch

From long ago, LP climbing in pantomime fashion up a sheer rock face, the commentator posing the same series of "why?" questions.

LP reaches the top, looks at the camera, says "Because it's there" and extending one arm points to : a small wooden hut labelled "W.C.".

2. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

sometimes you just want to see someone strap a bloody great rocket engine to a rolling chassis and find out what happens.

Given Yorkshiremens' reputation for thrift, I now have in mind some Last Of The Summer Wine-esq venture, with three blokes speeding down a hillside in a rocket-propelled bathtub

1. Anonymous Custard
        Flame

It's always reminded me more of this Darwin Award winner, and of course the subsequent televisation courtesy of Mythbusters (at least 3-4 times over).

But yes that image is now nestled in there as well.

Definitely a massive engineering thumbs up though, wonderful news for a Monday morning.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"[...] sometimes you just want to see someone strap a bloody great rocket engine to a rolling chassis and find out what happens."

As tried in Germany in 1928 - 100 years ago.

1. TonyJ

"...As tried in Germany in 1928 - 100 years ago..."

<cough> 90 years ago.

On a much less pedantic note, I am personally quite glad to see the project dug out of the mire.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Why the cat in the suitcase?

1. Aladdin Sane
            Joke

Re: cat in the suitcase

Schrödinger's luggage both is and isn't lost at Heathrow.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"<cough> 90 years ago."

I would like to claim a mental glitch that omitted the "nearly". Unfortunately I know I made a mental miscalculation - not in arithmetic but in misjudging the current year..

When I was growing up 1984 was a distant future - and post-2000 the realm of Dan Dare space adventures. It's a similar disconnect with reality that I get when I see the price of familiar food or products. There was a time when £1k a year was a salary that meant you were doing very well indeed.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great news, perhaps there's spare cash to purchase rubber underpants for Andy Green to do 1000mph because I'd certainly need them, brave chap and chocks away.

5. Bunker_MonkeyUK
    Pint

That man deserves a >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

6. Milton

The pilot will indeed be courageous and it would be churlish not to feel good for the team who are, after all, trying to do an extremely difficult thing (just one question must be: how the hell do you manage the trans-sonic shockwave while you're still on the ground?!) but I can't see this as being much different from another current venture of basically pointless marketing-oriented stuntery—Branson's Virgin Galactic circus.

Yes, there will be some clever engineering, and some spectacle, and yes some bowels will be loosened (if the folks concerned survive at all) but in truth, much cleverer engineering still is being deployed on other ventures which have a genuinely useful purpose, extending far beyond "Make some headlines".

Virgin Galac— Can't-Even-Get-To-Orbit is a dangerous stunt designed to get ignorant rich idiots to pay a lot of money for shiny little astronaut badges. I'm not going to qualify as a submarine commander by sinking my canoe for 30 seconds, am I?

Not for the first time, it's a bit saddening that so much cash and publicity goes on these fundamentally useless stunts while most people haven't even heard of serious engineering like Reaction Engines, whom I've mentioned before. The leading candidate for single-stage-to-orbit spaceplane operations, right here in Britain, and not a single self-promoting gurning beardie in sight.

1. SkippyBing

'I'm not going to qualify as a submarine commander by sinking my canoe for 30 seconds, am I?'

No, for that you'd need to get it to surface again.

7. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Unending vapourware designed to part money from fools

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just like Thrust 2 and ThrustSSC were you mean?

Oh, no you didn't mean that at all...

8. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Pint

No plans will be shared until next year

of course not! I hope the whole team will start a bender today and won't stop partying until New Year at the earliest.

9. PhilipN Silver badge

Fuel pumped by a Jaguar V8 engine

My Jag has what I suppose is the same engine. Since I already have the base module I just need to bolt on the jet engine. There's a fixer-upper on eBay :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLLS-ROYCE-G2-BUSINESS-JET-ENGINE-NON-OPERATIONAL-/273336101881?redirect=mobile

Anyone got a garden shed so I can get started?

Explanation for across-the-ponders : example of self-deprecating British irony.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fuel pumped by a Jaguar V8 engine

> Anyone got a garden shed so I can get started?

How to build a garden shed

2. Aladdin Sane

The Jag V8 is the pump for the hybrid rocket, you'll need to modify your eBay search.

3. hoola Silver badge

Clamp it to the bench in the shed, a bucket of paraffin, a few bits of hose, maybe a funnel and a battery to get it spooled up, job done.

If you were lucky it might running, even better you might burn a hole in the shed.

The best scenario is the bench/engine out of one end of the shed, a hole in the other and a lot of noise.

It would certainly scare the cr@p out of the neighbours but this is what British ingenuity is all about.....

1. Steve K

Best leaf blower. Ever!

4. Steve K

..and fittingly the G2 Business Jet engine is self-depreciating (as it's on for only $5000) and irony (and possibly aluminiumy/titaniumy too?)

5. J P

The explanation for left-ponders is probably needed, since the wikipedia article about Art Arfons and the GE jet engine used to power the Green Monster LSR cars indicates that they don't really use sheds "He tested it by tying it to trees in his garden, a procedure which drew complaints from his neighbors."

(That said, I once mentioned to a client in the aviation maintenance business that you could at the time get tax allowances for a building if it was used for testing aero engines. He gave me an odd look, walked over to the window and pointed to a plane parked up in glorious isolation at the furthest perimeter fence. "That's where we test the engines" he said, "You'd have to be insane to run one up to test levels indoors". Which I suppose was why the Inland Revenue were prepared to offer the allowances, safe in the knowledge no-one would actually claim them...)

10. MonsieurTM

Brilliant news! Well done Mr. Warhurst! What a chap to step in at the last minute and rescue to project! Finally someone put their money where the mouth is! Hurrah!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon