back to article So you want to archive our enterprise data? Well, let's see where you fall on Gartner's magic square...

Mimecast headed up a crew of the usual suspects – which included Proofpoint and Microsoft – in the leaders' square of the latest Gartner magic quadrant that ranks enterprise information archivers. Enterprise Information Archiving is mostly email retention, but the analyst includes instant messaging, SMS, the business's …

1. thondwe

Legal Hold and Retention isn't Archive

Surprised Microsoft is in this at all. Legal Hold and Retention Policies are neither a backup solution nor an archive solution. Even just accidently turning a policy off can wipe all retained data, it relies on document versioning for any form of rollback. A true archive should be able to answer the question "What did person X's data look like on some date last year, I think they're covering something up?" don't think MS can do this in 365.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Trollface

No, but the NSA can.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Restore and/or Recovery.....not mentioned....

....so what am I missing?

3. Tomato42
    Facepalm

Rubbish

Google has no "ability to execute"? The same Google that effectively has no size limit on gmail mailboxes? That Google?

I know we listen to Gartner mostly for the laughs, but this is just pathetic.

4. Pistolero
    Paris Hilton

Gartner = Parasites

Let's name other businesses which rely completely on having a parasitic relationship with actual manufacturers due to the ignorance of the end user. If Gartner stopped existing, it would have absolutely no negative effect on consumers, vendors, service providers, SIs, or anyone else in the industry. In fact, most of these would save on insane subscription fees.

If you have enough money to burn on their fees and read their reports, you're big enough to do a POC of all the top products by market share and make up your mind based on facts... wonder if that'll be better or worse for businesses.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like